Where is Dan Ashton?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Where is Dan Ashton?

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Gee, almost a week has gone by now without a word or photo from DA. When is he going to make his pitch? All candidates forum? Wouldn't it be nice if Dan showed up on this site? I'd love to hear his take on whats really going on in city hall and in Penticton. Oh almost forgot and the RDOS.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for D.A. to show up on a forum like this. He would have to be far more open; not really in his record of nature. Also, that would be an excercise in Transparency and something that most of council has no idea about. At least not the PRESENT council. We are hoping to change that drastically on election day! I predict D.A. to come in a dismal third place (and I have heard a lot of people saying that)...oh...all except twobits of course. D.A. has to have at least one or two supporters.
In the earlier days of D.A. as mayor, he was reasonably neutral and his most often heard sentence in meetings was: "what are councils wishes"? That was pretty fair; however in the past couple years that has changed and he has shown much more strong opinions that are more his OWN than what the public was demanding. The prison is just one example and I know that some people want this issue buried (at this fragile election time) it just isn't going to be forgotten; not just yet.
dashton

Post by dashton »

Oh you are so wrong XT225.....I have been reading yours and others comments intermittently.
I have and will continue to answer any and all questions pertaining to Council and/or the RDOS; however
my preference is a personal discussion and my contact numbers are readily available.
If the forum venue is now another prefered choice of contact, I will do my best to respond as quickly
as possible to legitimate questions, not however to hyperbole and innuendo. Happy Halloween everyone!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thanks for chiming in Dan. I'd be surprised if a lot of your detractors here would venture to initiate a face-to-face discussion, the lack of accountability that goes with internet anonymity is appealing to many. I think you've got it scoped out pretty well, there are people who complain with good reason, and people who just complain. I for one, think you've done pretty good seeing that you came to the mayor's seat at a particularly challenging time in Penticton's history. As the man in charge, there will always be those who want to blame the problems of the world on you, the best you can do is stay focused on the job at hand.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dan, thanks for stopping by. Could you clarify the hockey school land deal a little. At face value it first appeared to be a really bad business decision....buy high sell low......but I am hearing a cpl of different things that may mitigate that thought. Was a significant chunk annexed for road widening? Is there to be some kind of public offering of the land to justify price? Was there in fact two appraisals done? In general terms, why is there such a discrepency between purchase price and sale price? Thanks for your time.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dashton

Post by dashton »

Thank you for your comments Fluffy. I have and will continue to
do my best to address the issues our Community faces. Have a great day!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: The prison is just one example and I know that some people want this issue buried (at this fragile election time) it just isn't going to be forgotten; not just yet.

XT you are such a hypocrit. You repeatedly stated your support for the prison as did the Mayor. Now that it has been defeated, you want to use his opinion of support, the same right to opinion of support you voiced, and use it against him as making decisions contrary to the public's wishes. XT, sometimes I really think the wheel is spinning but the hamster is gone.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
XT225 wrote: The prison is just one example and I know that some people want this issue buried (at this fragile election time) it just isn't going to be forgotten; not just yet.

XT you are such a hypocrit. You repeatedly stated your support for the prison as did the Mayor. Now that it has been defeated, you want to use his opinion of support, the same right to opinion of support you voiced, and use it against him as making decisions contrary to the public's wishes. XT, sometimes I really thing the wheel is spinning but the hamster is gone.

Once again, twobits shows the readers his real spots....his continuing name calling of those who state their opinions. I won't stoop to that level. Nice of D.A. to finally show up on here (wow; he has at least 8 posts) but he never said much and answered nobody's questions; not even YOURS so far, twobits. He likely doesn't want to answer publicly for fear of losing votes and he can't afford to lose ANY, from what the talk around the town is. I work in the Industrial area and many of the owners of businesses up there are (who might be considered right wing) have said that they will be voting in a new mayor and council; totally new. Its about time; we've had quite enough.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

XT225 wrote: Nice of D.A. to finally show up on here (wow; he has at least 8 posts) but he never said much and answered nobody's questions;

All of eight posts. And spaced exactly three years apart, now isn't that a coincidence...
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

D.A. has made it pretty clear that this is not where he will hold political discussions. I don't actually blame him - everyone knows who he is but he doesn't know's throwing the tomatoes or bouquets. If there were more people visiting the forum, he may change his mind (#s = votes) but I wouldn't blame any candidate for focusing on other avenues to win votes. There are some pretty wild statements coming from some posters. At the same time, I do appreciate the wisdom that fluffy and a few others bring to the conversations.
That being said, the question "Where is Dan Ashton?" is not about this forum, but what is he doing in Penticton. He's working on his social media for one thing.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
twobits wrote:

XT you are such a hypocrit. You repeatedly stated your support for the prison as did the Mayor. Now that it has been defeated, you want to use his opinion of support, the same right to opinion of support you voiced, and use it against him as making decisions contrary to the public's wishes. XT, sometimes I really thing the wheel is spinning but the hamster is gone.

Once again, twobits shows the readers his real spots....his continuing name calling of those who state their opinions. I won't stoop to that level. Nice of D.A. to finally show up on here (wow; he has at least 8 posts) but he never said much and answered nobody's questions; not even YOURS so far, twobits. He likely doesn't want to answer publicly for fear of losing votes and he can't afford to lose ANY, from what the talk around the town is. I work in the Industrial area and many of the owners of businesses up there are (who might be considered right wing) have said that they will be voting in a new mayor and council; totally new. Its about time; we've had quite enough.

I didn't call you names! I said "sometimes I really think the wheel is spinning but the hamster is gone". In other words you are thinking but the logic is gone. How do you rationalize condeming the Mayor for voicing an opinion of support that was the same as yours? Does he not have a right to an opinion just like you? The Mayors job is to lead and then listen. He did both. What you are doing is cheap politicking. But any means to an end huh?

Edit to add- I don't know what industrial area owners you might be referring to but I know quite a few as well. While Juius has some definite attributes, "green party" and "industrial area" don't fit well together in a sentence. And wine and cheese Katie ain't gonna do it for those boys.

clouseau

Post by clouseau »

dashton wrote: I will do my best to respond as quickly
as possible to legitimate questions, not however to hyperbole and innuendo. Happy Halloween everyone!

I have a legitimate question. The City did a core services review at City Hall why does the City not do the same for the SOEC and Penticton Trade and Convention Center ? The amount of events and conventions has seriously declined and yet the amount of staff remains the same. Why this double standard with the SOEC and PTCC and not a review as was done at City Hall ?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
XT225 wrote:
twobits wrote:

I didn't call you names! I said "sometimes I really think the wheel is spinning but the hamster is gone". In other words you are thinking but the logic is gone. How do you rationalize condeming the Mayor for voicing an opinion of support that was the same as yours? Does he not have a right to an opinion just like you? The Mayors job is to lead and then listen. He did both. What you are doing is cheap politicking. But any means to an end huh?

Edit to add- I don't know what industrial area owners you might be referring to but I know quite a few as well. While Juius has some definite attributes, "green party" and "industrial area" don't fit well together in a sentence. And wine and cheese Katie ain't gonna do it for those boys.

Twobits, do you ever read what you send? Didn't call me names, eh? Hmmm....sure looks like it to me. I guess you're used to the word Hypocrit so don't consider it a name. That's ok, my skin is thick. Actually working in the Industrial area, I think that I have a better understanding of who the business owners up here actually will vote for and the majority that I have heard do not favor Ashton. Most are undecided between Julius and Katie; seriously, from what the word out there is. Ashton will likley beat out Vic Powell but that's about it.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

Actually working in the Industrial area, I think that I have a better understanding of who the business owners up here actually will vote for and the majority that I have heard do not favor Ashton

I work in the industrial area too. Nothing like the smell of diesel in the morning.

Funny coincidence that the City Works is located up here.

Might be an explanation for your exclusive contempt for DA and the rest of council. I've heard they won't let the boys have naps on the job anymore...that would make things a little cranky.

That said, given the last three years were hell for our quaint little metropolis, do you really think that a completely new council and a green horn rookie mayor are the way to go? What exactly is that logic?

That kind of thinking only demonstrates to me that this a personal issue between you and our current City Hall team. Not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, just please don't act like it serves the best interests of Penticton.

I think it's obvious it doesn't.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

DblDwn11 wrote:
Actually working in the Industrial area, I think that I have a better understanding of who the business owners up here actually will vote for and the majority that I have heard do not favor Ashton

I work in the industrial area too. Nothing like the smell of diesel in the morning.

Funny coincidence that the City Works is located up here.

Might be an explanation for your exclusive contempt for DA and the rest of council. I've heard they won't let the boys have naps on the job anymore...that would make things a little cranky.

That said, given the last three years were hell for our quaint little metropolis, do you really think that a completely new council and a green horn rookie mayor are the way to go? What exactly is that logic?

That kind of thinking only demonstrates to me that this a personal issue between you and our current City Hall team. Not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, just please don't act like it serves the best interests of Penticton.

I think it's obvious it doesn't.

Nope, I do not work in that place; and from what I have heard from city workers, its now called City Hell. No amout of pay is worth what some of those poor folks are going through from what they are saying. Morale is stated to be at an all time low; and I believe that was the CAO's first goal - to improve morale, which we all know increases productivity, etc. That does not appear to have happened. I much prefer private industry where my boss treats me well and respects the work that I do; thank you very much. Unions are not needed if you have a company and boss that treats you properly and pays you fairly.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Dbledwn11 ... looking at your previous posts and reference to ADHD (poor choice in my opinion) do you find it necessary to label others with similar mental health issues???? Just wondering! How do you make the jump that an individual like XT because he voices his OPINION and just happens to work in the Industrial area that he is employed by the city of penticton???? It would appear reading into your comments that you are anti-union (which is your right) but I for one don't like the fact you are painting individuals with the same brush!! Perhaps the question that needs to be asked is "what is your issue????"

You say cleaning the slate is not the way to go ... and why not? Show me what this current council has done for the city of Penticton to garner my trust and vote for the next three years? Show me the leadership skills that Dan Ashton will provide to move Penticton ahead in the next three years? Why would I put my trust, money and confidence in a mayor who is well known to have provincial political aspirations??? It's no secret! I want a clean slate. I want to see more transparency, motivation, creative thinking and community involvement. I want individuals on council and in the mayor's seat who truly want to be there for the good of the community not the good of themselves!

Sorry Dbledwwn can't buy into leave 'em be and let them prove their worth. They've shown me what they are worth and I'm with XT and the majority who will move this council out once and for all!!

Return to “C.E. Penticton”