Ernie Hurd for Council

Robin Hood

Re: Ernie Hurd for Council

Post by Robin Hood »

shankari2 wrote:'CAVERS' what an insult to brand people who disagree with you with an insulting label. Preston started this insulting 'branding' and you seem to be perpetuating it. There are NO 'Cavers' in Peachland, there are just people with different opinions and they need to be heard without being name called. The curling club was never about those who curl and those who don't, it was about fiscal management! I will only vote for people who do not name call or solve arguements using the same method.

Right again Shankari2!
The message of the referendum was clearly "don't spend my money without my approval".
Ernie, I have a lot of respect for you, so I am going to offer you some friendly advice.
Don't discuss the curling club or the by-election any more than you have too. Concentrate on your record of community involvement which is commendable. You have a record of getting involved; talk more about that.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't; you're right.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

Thank you for that advice...I will heed it. I guess I was searching for closure by trying to understand through this forum an the comments how the community thinks. Does it think individually or communal? The answer to this question will make us better at making decisions. I guess in the end by what I am reading is the share holders should be consulted on everything... so can we form an unbiased shareholders group who would represent the shareholder's interest....I thought that was what elections were for.:127:
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Myths I'd like to see dispelled:
1. The curling rink initially proposed was a de facto "multi-purpose facility".
2. All of the Peachlanders that voted "no" to the curling rink proposal had absolutely no interest in such a facility as a community asset. They were uniquely opposed to curling, full stop, period!
3. The use of elementary school children's unmitigated enthusiasm for curling is a good political manoeuvre to press a flawed point.
4. Peachlanders were joyously happy with the frantic subterfuge, smears and shenanigans in the run-up to the funding deadline.
5. Peachlanders love being told that, basically, they are idiots, and that the councillors they elected should have free reign to do as they please without their pesky interference.
6. Peachlanders accept that the cost of a forced by-election was a piffling sum, and we have all but forgotten it.
7. Politicking is good for political careers.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

:popcorn:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

Tick tock
:lurkieloos:
You steppin up or not?
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

yes I am stepping up. My wife thinks I am a fool but I love this town and I wouldn't want it too fall into the wrong hands. :dyinglaughing:
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

peachlandboy wrote:yes I am stepping up. My wife thinks I am a fool but I love this town and I wouldn't want it too fall into the wrong hands. :dyinglaughing:

Good luck you'll need it but you all ready know what your up against.
:bumkick:
:masochist:
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Ernie, you say you are not a quitter? Well what is that you did when you resigned? You quit, you left in a huff. What is going to happen the next time you don't get your way? I really don't see how you can say you are not a quitter, if that is how you feel, then you are something else. Which I won't post.
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

yaktak wrote:Ernie, you say you are not a quitter? Well what is that you did when you resigned? You quit, you left in a huff. What is going to happen the next time you don't get your way? I really don't see how you can say you are not a quitter, if that is how you feel, then you are something else. Which I won't post.

I would rather have someone that quits for a principal than the CAVE'rs who want to sit on there hands and not let anything happen because something might change.

I have been told that as you age it gets harder and harder to deal with changes around you. Is that you CAVE'rs?
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

So, because I don't agree with your view you resort to name calling. ROFL. How can you call me a Caver when we have only discussed one issue. Ernie for council. You have no idea how I feel about development and growth of our town. If you must know I am all for it. I just don't think Ernie will make a good councilor. One reason by his own admission here, that his wife thinks he is a fool to run again. I don't think anyone on this forum knows Ernie better than his wife. Is that what you want on council representing you, a fool.
BTW, last election I voted for Ernie.
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

Ernie, why do you think you are needed on council ?
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

I have a hard time with Ernie running again. It is no different than hiring someone on a contract basis for 3 years and then the person telling you to take the contract and shove it and then returning a few months later and asking for a new contract. Speaking yesterday at the forum his excuse was that he wears his heart on his sleeve and I did not get the impression he would not quit again or that he regretted his move. I also have a hard time with his sense of judgement with not being able to see why his running again after quitting is no big deal.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

rotti wrote:I have a hard time with Ernie running again. It is no different than hiring someone on a contract basis for 3 years and then the person telling you to take the contract and shove it and then returning a few months later and asking for a new contract. Speaking yesterday at the forum his excuse was that he wears his heart on his sleeve and I did not get the impression he would not quit again or that he regretted his move. I also have a hard time with his sense of judgement with not being able to see why his running again after quitting is no big deal.

I agree with you it is hard for a lot of people to see me run again. Do you know why so few people run? The pay is the craps and the abuse is huge but the few of us that want to be engaged in making Peachland a better place to live step up. At the forum the other night I was asked why I came back? I should have focused on that and I didn't. I am a worker, an ideas guy...I don't have any strings attached. In 1996, during my first term, I built the Kiosk you see in Trepanier Creek Park. I also lobbied government to fund the footbridge that crosses Trepanier Creek. I was also on the council that approved funding for the on/off ramp in Paradise Valley. I was not reelected in 1999 but was reelected in 2003. I engaged the town and council and we pursued a skateboard park. In 2005 I ran for mayor against a true bureaucrat in ex lawyer Graham Reed. It was blue collar vs. white collar. I lost the my mayors bid and as you can see no skateboard park. I was re elected in 2008 and actively pursued stimulus grant funding in the amount of 2.7 million. 500 + people signed a counter petition which led to the referendum which also cost $10,000.00. The disappointing part of being on council and what triggered me to quit is that we are elected in the belief that we represent the wishes and whims of the electorate. The community charter has created an escape clause. It is called the counter petition. 10% of the voters can sign this counter petition and it gets sent to referendum. It is difficult to govern under these circumstances. I would like to see that 10% change to 30%. I am not anti democratic I just think when you are given the mandate to govern;govern. What I have noticed over the years is very few of the individuals who perch themselves like vultures very rarely run for council. I have some great ideas that I would like to see come to fruition and I know I can only see them through by being on council. Thanks Ernie
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

peachlandboy wrote:
rotti wrote:I have a hard time with Ernie running again. It is no different than hiring someone on a contract basis for 3 years and then the person telling you to take the contract and shove it and then returning a few months later and asking for a new contract. Speaking yesterday at the forum his excuse was that he wears his heart on his sleeve and I did not get the impression he would not quit again or that he regretted his move. I also have a hard time with his sense of judgement with not being able to see why his running again after quitting is no big deal.

I agree with you it is hard for a lot of people to see me run again. Do you know why so few people run? The pay is the craps and the abuse is huge but the few of us that want to be engaged in making Peachland a better place to live step up. At the forum the other night I was asked why I came back? I should have focused on that and I didn't. I am a worker, an ideas guy...I don't have any strings attached. In 1996, during my first term, I built the Kiosk you see in Trepanier Creek Park. I also lobbied government to fund the footbridge that crosses Trepanier Creek. I was also on the council that approved funding for the on/off ramp in Paradise Valley. I was not reelected in 1999 but was reelected in 2003. I engaged the town and council and we pursued a skateboard park. In 2005 I ran for mayor against a true bureaucrat in ex lawyer Graham Reed. It was blue collar vs. white collar. I lost the my mayors bid and as you can see no skateboard park. I was re elected in 2008 and actively pursued stimulus grant funding in the amount of 2.7 million. 500 + people signed a counter petition which led to the referendum which also cost $10,000.00. The disappointing part of being on council and what triggered me to quit is that we are elected in the belief that we represent the wishes and whims of the electorate. The community charter has created an escape clause. It is called the counter petition. 10% of the voters can sign this counter petition and it gets sent to referendum. It is difficult to govern under these circumstances. I would like to see that 10% change to 30%. I am not anti democratic I just think when you are given the mandate to govern;govern. What I have noticed over the years is very few of the individuals who perch themselves like vultures very rarely run for council. I have some great ideas that I would like to see come to fruition and I know I can only see them through by being on council. Thanks Ernie

Thanks for the reply Ernie.

I agree with you 100% and you will see that I have mentioned the pay on these forums for Peachland councillors is the pits and for someone to do a good job they need to get paid better for the amount of time they put in. I voted for you every time you ran and I know you love Peachland and you did get things done.
Politics is a messy game and the perception is you told us all to shove it and quit. I know that emotions can sometimes get the best of us but when you are in a position of authority and entrusted to make decisions and laws for our community you need to show some self control and character. Quitting out of disgust is one thing but quitting and then asking us again to vote for you a few months later after putting the burden of a by-election on us and giving us the one finger salute (symbolically with that letter to the editor) to me is a character flaw.

I wish you all the best but this time I can't vote for you.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

rotti wrote:
peachlandboy wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ernie.

I agree with you 100% and you will see that I have mentioned the pay on these forums for Peachland councillors is the pits and for someone to do a good job they need to get paid better for the amount of time they put in. I voted for you every time you ran and I know you love Peachland and you did get things done.
Politics is a messy game and the perception is you told us all to shove it and quit. I know that emotions can sometimes get the best of us but when you are in a position of authority and entrusted to make decisions and laws for our community you need to show some self control and character. Quitting out of disgust is one thing but quitting and then asking us again to vote for you a few months later after putting the burden of a by-election on us and giving us the one finger salute (symbolically with that letter to the editor) to me is a character flaw.

I wish you all the best but this time I can't vote for you.

I wish people could get over the I quit in disgust. I quit because in business and Peachland is a living breathing business we made a huge mistake financially for that one and any future grants we hope to apply for. I quit because I was the only one who had the balls to do so. The whole council should have quit. I hope you change your mind. Ernie

Return to “C.E. Peachland”