Time is running out, do you know who you're voting for?

Kristos

Time is running out, do you know who you're voting for?

Post by Kristos »

TIME IS RUNNING OUT, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE VOTING FOR?

With 40 odd candidates campaigning for a seat on council, it makes it a challenge for residence of Kelowna to really get to know who these candidates are and what they stand for. I would like to introduce you to one of these candidates, Dan Thorburn. He is running for a seat on council and has some different and interesting ideas.

One of his campaign platform statements is that “it takes a village to raise a child”. This requires community involvement, commitment and a sharing of responsibilities. For a community to successfully raise its children, the community must be healthy and sustainable in its growth. This requires all members to have respect for each other, take an interest in community matters and a willingness to be involved and to support community matters.

Dan Thorburn isn’t just community-oriented, but he is also business minded. He understands the value of hard work and reduced wasteful spending. Another one of his campaign mottos is “get her done” and he believes that in order to see value in large projects such as the Bernard Revitalization project, it is important to complete these types of projects with the utmost urgency so that the least amount of impact is felt by our local businesses and community. Dan doesn’t think that stretching a project of this size out over numbers of years is viable because it will inevitably lead to cost overruns, further delays and most likely subpar deliverables. Spend the money now and get it done so that tomorrow is a brighter day, makes sense to me!

There are many concerns that need to be addressed and there are many different viewpoints, so it is through community members taking the steps to become involved in trying to find solutions that will help create a healthy balanced and a long term sustainable community. Dan doesn’t pretend to know all of the answers to all of the issues in Kelowna, however he strongly believes that by giving the people better representation and more importantly, an open ear for what everyone has to say, then together we can all come up with viable solutions that work for both business, community and people instead of just one aspect or another.

Take a look at Dan’s webpage at http://www.DanThorburn.com to get a slightly different perspective on solutions to some of the challenges facing Kelowna at this time. Open up dialogue with Dan and share your thoughts with him to see where combined thoughts, ideas and actions can lead to creating a healthy, balanced and creative community.

Written by Frannie Polo
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE VOTING FOR?

Post by TimmyE »

Not a clue!
Bleach
Fledgling

Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE VOTING FOR?

Post by Bleach »

TimmyE wrote:Not a clue!

same here, i use the 'dart method'. I don't have time to research all candidates
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Time is running out, do you know who you're voting for?

Post by Bpeep »

I'm waiting for Joe the Plumber to suggest what I do.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

It's pretty sad. This election is about who "NOT" to vote for, rather than who to vote for. You would think that with all the people running for office, that some "cream" would rise to the top.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

OneAngryCitizen wrote:It's pretty sad. This election is about who "NOT" to vote for, rather than who to vote for. You would think that with all the people running for office, that some "cream" would rise to the top.

Don't forget, *bleep* floats too...
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

FunkyBunch wrote:
OneAngryCitizen wrote:It's pretty sad. This election is about who "NOT" to vote for, rather than who to vote for. You would think that with all the people running for office, that some "cream" would rise to the top.

Don't forget, *bleep* floats too...

:coffeecanuck: You owe me a new keyboard, coffee is all over it. Well in the dishwasher it goes.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

From tonight's Seniors forum:

Best speakers

Dan Thorburn

Simon Shaw

Will Gow

Too many simply 'tooted their own horn'!
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

George+ wrote:From tonight's Seniors forum:

Best speakers

Dan Thorburn

Simon Shaw

Will Gow

Too many simply 'tooted their own horn'!

Thanks for the support!!! I felt nervous, with the lights in my eyes, I couldn't make eye contact with the crowd. I like to see who I'm talking to. cheers!
dbthorburn

Post by dbthorburn »

Thank you.

I enjoyed listening to everyone speak tonight. Thank you to everyone who came out to the forum, and I appreciated the extensive list of important questions that you asked to all of the candidates.

I am looking forward to attending many more candidate forums and hopefully having an opportunity to speak with you personally.

Cheers,

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Council
http://www.DanThorburn.com
+1.250.864.1385
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I won't be voting for some leftist anti-HST organizer who helped to do the single most detrimental thing to the economy of British Columbia since the NDP were in power. When someone is pushing their own political agenda ahead of the good of the economy and to the detriment of low income families and seniors, they deserve to be at the bottom of the pile. I would not trust this person to look after my tax dollars when he was part of a $3 billion kick in the groin to the BC taxpayers.

I will not, therefore, be voting for Dan Thorburn.

Signed,

Richard Wede
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

If you haven't made up your mind and have a chance, people should talk to Simon Shaw - he's a really good guy, and not connected to any Kelowna cabals of any kind, that I can determine. I was really impressed with him. But that's just my two cents.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

RichardWede wrote:I won't be voting for some leftist anti-HST organizer

yikes! Thanks for the heads up on that one!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

The Green Barbarian wrote:If you haven't made up your mind and have a chance, people should talk to Simon Shaw - he's a really good guy, and not connected to any Kelowna cabals of any kind, that I can determine. I was really impressed with him. But that's just my two cents.

Thank you VERY much! You're right, I have no ties to anyone other than my wife and kids, business partner and our employees. The only property I own is my house. So far, I have not received any funding or donations, other than from my own company, however, that doesn't mean I don't want any donations ;)

If you would like to setup a coffee meeting with your friends and neighbours I would love the opportunity to speak with you! If you would like to meet me, I'll be at Twisted Tomato, on Bernard beside Starbucks the next two Monday's from 3:00pm to 5:00pm

250-448-7514 or [email protected]
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:If you haven't made up your mind and have a chance, people should talk to Simon Shaw - he's a really good guy, and not connected to any Kelowna cabals of any kind, that I can determine. I was really impressed with him. But that's just my two cents.

I've been impressed with his presentation and pose on here. And his background as a CA is indicative of good business sense and an understanding of fiscal prudence. I wish him well on election day.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”