Konanz and Cavallo

clouseau

Re: Konanz and Cavallo

Post by clouseau »

MRO wrote:Well if this is true, it's a pretty "rookie" mistake to make. Plus being realtors, they must know each other?
Much like Jamesie on Konanz (earlier post), I find myself wondering who's pulling the strings for Ms.Cavallo as she is not a natural fit here. Maybe someone concerned of loosing at the polls and wanting to retain some access to coucil? Funny how the (expensive) election signs for both of the candidates of this thread came out simultanously, way ahead of everyone else - coincidence?

I certainly know realtors who have criticized Julius and so what if they do ? Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I am more curious on what you are implying when you suggest that “someone” is pulling the strings. What exactly do you mean by your comment ? Are you implying a third party is financing or sponsoring this or any other candidate ? I am curious to hear more about this from you.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

clouseau wrote:
MRO wrote:Well if this is true, it's a pretty "rookie" mistake to make. Plus being realtors, they must know each other?
Much like Jamesie on Konanz (earlier post), I find myself wondering who's pulling the strings for Ms.Cavallo as she is not a natural fit here. Maybe someone concerned of loosing at the polls and wanting to retain some access to coucil? Funny how the (expensive) election signs for both of the candidates of this thread came out simultanously, way ahead of everyone else - coincidence?

I certainly know realtors who have criticized Julius and so what if they do ? Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I am more curious on what you are implying when you suggest that “someone” is pulling the strings. What exactly do you mean by your comment ? Are you implying a third party is financing or sponsoring this or any other candidate ? I am curious to hear more about this from you.

Exactly, clouseau. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; we have all heard many people out there knocking D.A. and present council; thats their choice. I have to wonder if smear campaigns against new people running for council haven't started? This election isn't going to be totally about clean politics. I have personally heard few negatives towards new people running and much moreseo towards the incumbents.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

I am curious too about who you think would be pulling the strings for any candidate because I just can't see it. As a candidate you still have to be your own person and have your own views. It would become pretty apparent that you were a robot...

As for candidates talking about each other, again I don't really see the issue. As long as it's not slander or untrue, what's the problem?
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

XT225 wrote:
clouseau wrote:

Exactly, clouseau. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; we have all heard many people out there knocking D.A. and present council; thats their choice. I have to wonder if smear campaigns against new people running for council haven't started? This election isn't going to be totally about clean politics. I have personally heard few negatives towards new people running and much moreseo towards the incumbents.

I can understand if maybe someone does not like the platform (assuming there is a platform) of either Konanz or Cavallo but seriously are we going to start criticizing them for being more organized and getting their election signs out long before some of the incumbents did ?...and more so when those like Jakubeit were apparently “getting serious” this time around. ?

When you consider that the incumbents already had signs on account from having used them in the last election it is actually funny how long some of them took to get them out there. But seriously there are far more important things then election signs.
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

DblDwn11 wrote:

I am curious too about who you think would be pulling the strings for any candidate because I just can't see it. As a candidate you still have to be your own person and have your own views. It would become pretty apparent that you were a robot...

As for candidates talking about each other, again I don't really see the issue. As long as it's not slander or untrue, what's the problem?

What is more funny is that had MRO even bothered to read the threads on here from Cavallo and Konanz he or she would have realized that Cavallo said her signs were made by “Tony at Jaffa” and Konanz said hers were made by “ECM on Warren”….in other words they didn’t even go to the same sign shop. Makes me wonder who is pulling the strings of MRO…..
MRO

Post by MRO »

If I implied that I know something, sorry to report that I don't (and
I've edited my post to make this clearer). Consider the following however:

-Assuming the bad mouthing thing as accurate, why would you criticize
someone not threating your own chances? Are you not going to have a
hell of a time working with this individual if he/she gets elected?

-The candidate's platform does not match the signs in my view.

There are many possible answers. It all depends on what you consider likely.
This is not a smear campaign but interesting questions in my mind.
Feel free to dismiss me as paranoid...
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

MRO wrote: The candidate's platform does not match the signs in my view.

Sorry to be a pain -- but what does that mean? What do signs and platform's have to do with each other?
MRO

Post by MRO »

No problem, just wording here. How about:
Expensive signs should be backed by a detailed platform otherwise, why invest in the signs?
Maybe this is "new" politics where you get elected for your signs?
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

MRO wrote:No problem, just wording here. How about:
Expensive signs should be backed by a detailed platform otherwise, why invest in the signs?
Maybe this is "new" politics where you get elected for your signs?

Oh ok -- I've looked at both candidates platform's and also the other candidates. They are all general and non-specific in some ways and I think that is to be expected.

More about a candidates position and plans come out through asking questions (on forums like this one) and during the course of the campaign. If you are making a decision on whether to vote for someone based 100% on the platform on their website, then you are in big trouble.

I think Cavallo and Konanz have responded well to the questions asked of them in this forum and both will have to answer more questions from the media and in all-candidate events next week.

Can't be a puppet in those events --- people will see the strings!

If you have doubts as to their plans or specific questions about their platforms -- why don't you ask instead of assuming there is a conspiracy underway....
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

MRO wrote:If I implied that I know something, sorry to report that I don't (and
I've edited my post to make this clearer). Consider the following however:

-Assuming the bad mouthing thing as accurate, why would you criticize
someone not threating your own chances? Are you not going to have a
hell of a time working with this individual if he/she gets elected?

-The candidate's platform does not match the signs in my view.

There are many possible answers. It all depends on what you consider likely.
This is not a smear campaign but interesting questions in my mind.
Feel free to dismiss me as paranoid...

First off, I would never assume that allegations of “bad” mouthing were accurate solely because someone on an internet forum suggested it were so. Secondly both Cavallo and Bloomfield are realtors and no doubt have a professional opinion of each other. As I mentioned earlier I have certainly heard other realtors criticize Julius Bloomfield but again that is not uncommon for people in the same profession. Steve Jobs did not exactly say nice things about Bill Gates in recent his recently released memoirs either, again it is simply a matter of personal opinion.

As far as the platform, (if Cavallo even has one) then that is fair game to criticize. I have to agree with DblDwn in that election signs and a platform (or lack of) are generally different issues. Just an observation on my part but likely why Cavallo and Bloomfield have invested somewhat heavily in election signs is likely because as realtors they recognize that signs sell. Pattison would not be in the sign business if it did not.

Nothing wrong with being suspicious, all voters should be asking tough questions on those who run for Mayor, Council and School Board, I am just not certain that includes a candidates ability to be organized and actually get signs placed ahead of the competition. But again, just my own opinion.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but in cases like this it makes a world of difference as to the nature of the "badmouthing". Criticizing another candidate's position on current issues is one thing, and fair game for anyone, candidate and voter alike, but when the criticism takes the form of character assassination then that is an entirely different situation. I'd have to have more info on the exact nature of the "badmouthing" to decide if this is sufficient reason to spend my vote somewhere else.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

beam-me-up-morrison wrote:Jeanie Cavallo and her campaign manager, some fellow relator, are bad-mouthing Julius all over town. Advice to Jeanie, you should worry about your own campaign. As a darkhorse council candidate her attitude should be "I'm willing to work with anyone." And advice to Jeanie, when you're speaking at the forums, take your hands out of your pockets and stop swaying -- highly distracting.

Excellent point by Fluffy -- so beam-me-up, what was the nature of the bad-mouthing that you 'heard' about? Penticton is a rumour mill -- did you personally hear this or was this passed along through the grapevine?

And I've never heard of a campaign manager for a council candidate before, so who is this campaign manager?

Another quick note -- You put a personal slam at the end of this post regarding the speaking style of Cavallo...Could almost be taken as purposely mean spirited. That tells me that you have a personal grudge or problem with this particular candidate. I mean, otherwise you would have left that part out as it wasn't relevant to the discussion.

So, what exactly is your agenda here?
xyz

Post by xyz »

I know what agenda I see......spread a little toxin and hope it becomes viral to knock out your competition. Fortunately for the forum, 'beam me up' appears to have inadvertently spilled some on him/herself.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

I understand where MRO is coming from. It did look like an almost planned effort, the way masses of Cavallo and Konanz signs appeared overnight almost at the same time. It definitely looked highly organized. Now if that had come from candidates who had some experience, or had shown themselves to be more organized during the campaign, that could have been credible. But both, but in particular Cavallo, have disappointed in the campaign thus far. They have stuck to well rehearsed platitudes and have offered little of true substance. And they both seem to cave and seem very nervous when confronted with direct questions they have to answer on the spot. They do fine when they have time to think (and one would say go back and confer... who with? Good question, MRO and well spotted.)

One almost wonders if these are not the mayor's backup plan (he himself probably hoping that Bloomfield and Robinson will neatly split the anti-D.A. vote). He knows that there is major backlash against the incumbents, maybe Conanz and Cavallo are part of his little insurance policy, or of a group aligned with him. Get them out there early and beat the other candidates to the voters' brainspace. Name recognition means a lot in such a large field! I agree with MRO. I don't know anything and cannot prove anything, but I am very suspicious of these two candidates. It will be interesting to see how they perform next week - although, forums organized by the Herald are hardly trustworthy. For all we know they will get the questions slipped to them beforehand. Despite being out the gate early they have not shown themselves to be anything special. There are definitely better and more independent candidates out there...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Not sure how I missed this post. Perhaps it is because you took over two weeks to ponder your answers and consult with...???

Helena Konanz wrote:Hello again,

Here are the answers to some of your questions about my platform-

First of all we need to expand the Industrial Area and bring in light, clean industry with a vision for the Industrial Area in 2025. We can do this first by extending services to the Native Land on Carmi and allowing them the opportunity to attract this industry. The prison will not be located there, as the provincial government will not want to put it within a city limits that has turned down the project. Not with an election looming. You may say we get no tax benefits from companies settling on native land, but what we need are high paying jobs in the immediate area. Second we can plan on expanding where the Cantex gravel pit is located. We don't have the funds now, but we can form a plan and start working towards it slowly and deliberately. We need to offer tax breaks and short-term incentives to get business here. And we need to focus more on the industry we already have, and ask them what we can do to help them to grow.

You offer absolutely nothing new here. The native lands now have a servicing agreement and everything else you have said is already a part of long range planning. To suggest this is a fresh approach by yourself is rediculous.

The red tape for anyone trying to build a house (or a garage for that matter) is well known. We must reorganize the processes on the second floor of city hall so that all proposals will be responded to quickly. As an example, if a developer puts in a proposal and is waiting for an answer from the engineering department, then that department will have guidelines that guarantee (in writing) to the developer that he will get a phone call and an update on his project within a week. He doesn’t need to have the final answer by then, just an update. I'm talking about improving our customer service and using our expertise to it’s full potential.

Nothing to disagree with here but it is hardly an unknown issue

The 4 / 5 star resort I’d like to see in Penticton would have to be located around the Convention Centre, on Okanagan Lake at the Yacht Club, or around Skaha Marina. It will need to be done in an aesthetically and environmentally friendly way that would actually enhance the values of these areas to the locals as well as to the tourists. This will take a lot of planning and public input. We need to look at the long-term vision.

This I can't believe and just shows a complete lack of comprehension and research on your part before throwing carrots out for public consumption. Where around the convention centre? There is no block of land suitable that is large enough or has the amenities a 4/5 star resort would demand. The Yacht Club? Sure, perfect spot. Just happens to be City owned lakeshore. Are you suggesting we sell city lakeshore for a private hotel? Mind you, we would lose the sweet deal there in leasing for you and your tennis lesson clients. Skaha Marina? Last time I checked it was all city owned park land. Same issue as the yacht club. Campground accross the stret is not suitable for a number of reasons

I spoke about putting the brown lots to use in the city by creating community gardens or dog parks on them. Some of these lots have been sitting abandoned for 30 years. These companies are holding Penticton ransom, and we need to do something about it. The answer may be to raise the tax rates on these lots to get their owner's attentions. This will be one of the first things I want to address as a council member.

Sure. Selectivly tax some parcels more than others because they have been vacant for years. Are you going to be paying the legal bills when the city is dragged into court. Are you aware of why many of these lots you refer to are sitting vacant? I'll give you a heads up. The new cinema location had issues too. Current council is already trying to address this problem with the Provincial authorities as are the owners. And you want to tax them lol.

As for cleaning up the downtown area, I would like to give incentive to businesses who spruce up their property with paint or new awnings. Where it sits right now you are given an extra fee from city hall for putting up a new awning. This needs to change. And bringing back Communities in Bloom will help to set goals for groups, such as the Garden Club, to beautify our streets.

Again, why do you only speak about incentives for downtown business? What about incentives for the majority of businesses that are not downtown. Could it be because your business is located downtown? You would have to recuse yourself from any such discussion as a result anyway so why even suggest it?

The barriers for MD's to move here are extensive. Specialists in particular have to work much longer hours and make less money then in the big cities. And their spouses typically have a difficult time finding jobs here. The hurdles are huge, and are being faced by every community outside of the major centres. One thing we need to do is to actively lobby the provincial government to drop the barriers that keep foreign doctors out of our province. And we need to be present at all the conventions that are held for MD's interested in coming to BC and Canada.

You sum this up with " The hurdles are huge, and are being faced by every community outside of the major centres." Perhaps you should have considered provincial politics rather than civic if you think you have a solution. I did have to smile though at the terrible difficulty that the spouses of specialists have in finding jobs here. Hands up anyone that would like to give up their job so the spouse of the specialist can be employed.

We need to set up a satellite Visitors Information Centre downtown. I believe the best place to locate it is in or around City Hall. It is something that could be done inexpensively with volunteers. We need a visitor's centre that is more accessible along with the current one we have at the wine centre.

Have no problem with this but question the need/benefit

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”