Hopkins / Chahal

livewire
Fledgling

Hopkins / Chahal

Post by livewire »

I was speaking with a gal in her 30's yesterday she said ,'why should I even care, they don't do anything or say anything at all that even interests me'. Very sad indeed. I was very happy to see that we had some younger generation contenders. I, for one, would sure like to hear what they're all about.......
livewire
Fledgling

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by livewire »

Clarify - the quote from my friend was in reference to the ones we're hearing from on here - not in reference to Hopkins/Chahal...
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

I think Hopkins is gradually getting the word out. I have seen some signs and some more coverage. Chahal I have just seen the signs go up, but do not really know what she stands for yet... it is definitely encouraging to see such young candidates running for council. It could be refreshing to have one of them on council. With our previous council Dan Albas was a breath of fresh air, all excitable and energetic and youthful and these guys could be Albas's kids (well almost...). It would sure balance things out nicely, a little mark by the name of one or both of these two in addition to a maturer more seasoned slate would be well worth considering! At least city council would represent the entire population of Penticton better.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Jamesie wrote:I think Hopkins is gradually getting the word out. I have seen some signs and some more coverage. Chahal I have just seen the signs go up, but do not really know what she stands for yet... it is definitely encouraging to see such young candidates running for council. It could be refreshing to have one of them on council. With our previous council Dan Albas was a breath of fresh air, all excitable and energetic and youthful and these guys could be Albas's kids (well almost...). It would sure balance things out nicely, a little mark by the name of one or both of these two in addition to a maturer more seasoned slate would be well worth considering! At least city council would represent the entire population of Penticton better.

I can agree with you in principle that some youth might bring some energy and a different perspective. Both of these candidates appear to be bright and fairly articulate as well. Where we depart is that I believe they are a bit too young and inexperienced to understand the complexities involved in running a city. In a couple more years, a little more wisdom to go with the smarts, and both of these kids could be fine councillors. Just not yet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Maybe a perspective that is still on the idealistic side, one that has yet to be "polluted" with the realities of present day politics could be a positive addition to what has traditionally been a forum for seasoned hacks. [/cynicism]

My big concern in having either of these two on council would be their ability to present themselves in such a fashion as to be taken seriously by the other council members, or if an us-against-them division would occur.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Maybe a perspective that is still on the idealistic side, one that has yet to be "polluted" with the realities of present day politics could be a positive addition to what has traditionally been a forum for seasoned hacks. [/cynicism]

Lol, I have to give you that one.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Seems to me that the two biggest posters (whiners) on this forum are always the first up to criticize and interrogate people who are running for council.

Maybe if they did less posting and became more actively involved, the City might be a better place for their participation.?

Kudos to any young person that gets involved with their community. Good luck to you!.

"It takes a lot of time to be a genius; you have to sit around so much doing nothing, really doing nothing" Gertrude Stein.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

-fluffy- wrote:My big concern in having either of these two on council would be their ability to present themselves in such a fashion as to be taken seriously by the other council members, or if an us-against-them division would occur.

I don't know about Chahal, as I said, I have not seen her in action, but having seen Hopkins perform, no chance he would have a problem being taken seriously by other council members. he is well-educated, articulate, intelligent and knows what he wants. I think one or two of our current council members would probably feel intimidated by him if anything. He would definitely be less of a pushover than Konanz or Cavallo, age difference or not.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Jamesie wrote:I don't know about Chahal, as I said, I have not seen her in action, but having seen Hopkins perform, no chance he would have a problem being taken seriously by other council members. he is well-educated, articulate, intelligent and knows what he wants. I think one or two of our current council members would probably feel intimidated by him if anything. He would definitely be less of a pushover than Konanz or Cavallo, age difference or not.

That's good to know. Fresh minds, new ideas.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

hoot wrote:Seems to me that the two biggest posters (whiners) on this forum are always the first up to criticize and interrogate people who are running for council.

Maybe if they did less posting and became more actively involved, the City might be a better place for their participation.

Whiny post duly noted. Thanks for that relevant contribution hoop.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Further to the topic at hand, with the challenges facing the younger generations here in Penticton it makes perfect sense that they should be represented on council. Sometimes I get the feeling that with the sizable retirement demographic in town that we lose sight of where the real room for improvement lays.
spacecadet
Fledgling

Post by spacecadet »

I would love to have some young people on Council. And really, I think it's on the job training for everyone. And if they make mistakes, so what? It's better than sitting there and saying and doing nothing like our present Councillors do. If we can give Councillor Jakibeit three years to get serious, then what's the difference with any of the new young one's that are running? If they are making the effort to run for Council, then we should be listening to their ideas. A fresh perspective would be a wonderful thing!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

spacecadet wrote:I would love to have some young people on Council. And really, I think it's on the job training for everyone. And if they make mistakes, so what? It's better than sitting there and saying and doing nothing like our present Councillors do. If we can give Councillor Jakibeit three years to get serious, then what's the difference with any of the new young one's that are running? If they are making the effort to run for Council, then we should be listening to their ideas. A fresh perspective would be a wonderful thing!

Totally agree with you, space. I know for a fact that young minds learn quicker and absorb more than older ones. Im in my mid 40's and I work with some younger people in their early 20's; it blows me away at how quick they grasp things. Since one or two people have stated here that they don't want someone so young on council, the same could be said for "too old". What is too old? Well, in my opinion its not physical but more attitude and willingness to accept change. If we had more young people on council, its possible that more concerts directed to younger folks would be coming here. I think a younger councillor would definately be more accepting of looking outside the box. Speculation..yes..but possible.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Fluffy :
My big concern in having either of these two on council would be their ability to present themselves in such a fashion as to be taken seriously
……..

Fluffy :
with the challenges facing the younger generations here in Penticton it makes perfect sense that they should be represented on council

Nice to see you’ve changed your mind…….
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

hoot wrote:Nice to see you’ve changed your mind…….

You need to work on your reading comprehension toot. Concern with having young councilors being heard is more of a reflection on some of the stuck-in-their-ways seniors which this town has an ample supply of. You hear what I'm saying gramps?

Return to “C.E. Penticton”