Promise of Return of the Old Logo

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Promise of Return of the Old Logo

Post by grammafreddy »

Shane has not yet responded to the Backyard Chicken/Urban Hen questionnaire so he is not on my "yes" list.

I am happy with the new logo but I do think the city paid too much and timed it wrong. I liked the old one, too, although it may have been a tad dated. To go back now to the sails logo is not something I want to see and I also believe there is a cost involved ... these new decals won't just magically appear on everything the city sticks them on, and the staff costs also have to be considered.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

grammafreddy wrote:...I also believe there is a cost involved ... these new decals won't just magically appear on everything the city sticks them on, and the staff costs also have to be considered.

They would incur costs for new car decals, printed materials, building signage (the big sign at the airport ain't cheap....), labour costs to install the signage. Re-branding would not be a cheap exercise at all for the city.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Kathy73

Post by Kathy73 »

36Drew wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:...I also believe there is a cost involved ... these new decals won't just magically appear on everything the city sticks them on, and the staff costs also have to be considered.

They would incur costs for new car decals, printed materials, building signage (the big sign at the airport ain't cheap....), labour costs to install the signage. Re-branding would not be a cheap exercise at all for the city.

The real issue is the LOGO should not have been changed to start with. :ohmygod: :crocodiletears:
I just loved the old LOGO. What was Sharon thinking, what a waste of tax payers money. So sad.
Concerned_Business_Owner

Post by Concerned_Business_Owner »

Maybe Sharon should get a Campaign Donation from the Logo Design Company also... They got paid a massive fee!
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

Kathy73 wrote:
36Drew wrote:

The real issue is the LOGO should not have been changed to start with. :ohmygod: :crocodiletears:
I just loved the old LOGO. What was Sharon thinking, what a waste of tax payers money. So sad.

Because Sharon obviously was the one who decided to change the logo.... She was the only person who had the power to do that.
To be inspired.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Dan, the one thing about the HST that you never mentioned was that it was a consumption tax that made the RICHER class pay more which would have been passed into the social system. Sure, we all paid an extra tax, but the more you spent, the more you paid! Now we have a hole in the social coffers! For someone who was " on the social side" I think you kind of blew it for everyone in the end! Good job!http://forums.castanet.net/posting.php?mode=reply&f=70&t=35055#
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Oh and by the way, Shane, what do you think it would cost to change the fleet of city vehicles with stickers over and all the new Corporate letterhead back to the sails? Or were you planning on donating your council pay for this to happen? Or did you bother to think about that?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Kathy73 wrote:

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon. Blame her for everything, doncha? Sharon did not do anything all by herself. The council as a whole made the decision. If Walter gets elected, are you planning to slam him for everything that his council does that you don't agree with?

This whole election thing is getting so totally sickening. Put the blame for things you don't like where they belong rather than just attacking the one person in the big chair. The mayor seldom decides anything on their own. The council votes on issues and makes the decision by a majority rules decision. That does not mean the mayor voted in support of something.

Man, I tell ya, some people on this forum really need to educate themselves and grow up. It would really be helpful if people would do some research and ask questions in the right places before they go jumping off the sensationalizing bridges and flapping their gums with no knowledge behind what they are saying.

What Sharon said was if the people decided they wanted to revisit the logo issue, she would be happy to accommodate them. She did not say she wanted to change or go back to the old logo. She said she recognized that there were some people who were not happy with the new logo. Lordy. One of you posts an untruth and the rest of you all jump on the bandwagon and start screaming in unison and you haven't a freakin' clue what you're all screaming about.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I don't know whoever made the decision to change the logo (Sharon or the whole council), but they should be ashamed for spending our tax dollars like that during these tough economic times. And changing it back, would be just as dumb. Two wrongs don't make a right!! Let's just live with it.

And why change it back to the sails? Let's have another $90,000 contest to find another logo that no one is going to like.
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

TimmyE wrote:I don't know whoever made the decision to change the logo (Sharon or the whole council), but they should be ashamed for spending our tax dollars like that during these tough economic times. And changing it back, would be just as dumb. Two wrongs don't make a right!! Let's just live with it.

And why change it back to the sails? Let's have another $90,000 contest to find another logo that no one is going to like.

Im pretty sure the logo idea was created by city staff, and brought before council. They wanted to rebrand the city, frankly it needed rebranding, the issue is that the logo that was chosen sucks. They should have selected a few and had the public vote or something.
To be inspired.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Evan wrote:Im pretty sure the logo idea was created by city staff,

I'm inclined to agree with you.

36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

grammafreddy wrote:
Evan wrote:Im pretty sure the logo idea was created by city staff,

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Digging around through the various council agendas and minutes, it would appear that the "Corporate Identity Program" (which contained a new logo, visual style guide, etc) was driven by City staff. The earliest mention I can find is from the November 20, 2006 AM meeting - something about a potential partnership with Tourism Kelowna. There's no posted minutes of that meeting.

July 23, 2007 minutes have notes in there about a meeting item that includes the Communications Manager, Tourism Kelowna, and Traction Creative. http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs/%5CCouncil%5CMeetings%5CCouncil%20Meetings%202007%5C2007-07-23/Minutes%20July%2023%20A.M.%20Regular%20Meeting.pdf

Council's comments from those minutes:

- Hard for the City of Kelowna to own the “brand” if it originated with Tourism Kelowna.
Council and City staff need to be more involved in the process.
- The “Sails” are an important “brand” for the City and would prefer they be
incorporated into the new logo design.
- Would like to see the catch phrase, “Live, Work & Play” incorporated in to the new
design

It was indicated that the City Manager would be meeting with the designers to provide instructions and would update council.

Feb 25, 2008's minutes show another agenda item regarding the logo/identity program.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs%5C%5CCouncil%5CMeetings%5CCouncil%20Meetings%202008%5C2008-02-25%5CMinutes%20-%20February%2025%20A.M.%20Regular%20Meeting.pdf

3.2 Rob Peter and Phred Martin, Splash Design, re: City Logo/Brand
Revitalization
Rob Peter and Phred Martin:
- Described the process and timelines of implementing a new City Logo.
- Internal and external committee will be formed and will analyse the options.
Council:
- Questioned why there was no RFP Process.
City Manager:
- Strategically important to go single source rather than RFP.

It would definitely appear that the driver for this program was in fact the staff (Communications Manager and City Manager), not council.

Additionally, the city website lists information on the consultations and research regarding the Corporate Identity program http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page2546.aspx

I see some interesting names on the list of community members that consulted with city staff...
http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs//Communications/Communityconsulations.pdf

There's several individuals on there related to media, tourism, marketing... and Walter Gray.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”