Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

pacificcapital

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by pacificcapital »

Walter has the vision and leadership this City needs.

I have been a local resident of the City of Kelowna for 35 plus years and I can compare the style of leadership of Walter and Sharon. (Giving the word leadership to Sharon is a little bit of a stretch) Walter knows how to inspire and lead Council and can make a tough decision even if its not the most popular decision. You wont always agree, but at least you need to have your Councils respect.

Sharon, doesn't make a decision, she waffles under pressure! This lack of leadership makes the vast majority of council waffle. When many of the major decisions go to committee at tax payers expense that's non productive. A leader needs to command the respect of others, then work with those individuals (in this case City council). The lack of Sharons leadership has caused the City to be very counter productive. I personally know a few businesses that decided Sharon and the current council were NOT OPEN FOR BUSINESS. This has to stop! Just drive up Bernard and take a look! See the vacant businesses. Those spaces should be filled. There was no vacant businesses on Bernard under Walters rein. You cannot blame the economy fully. Lots of incentives can happen to attract businesses downtown. Plus responsible development can ensure business thrives downtown.

How is the current Council? For many Councilors, its the highest paying job they have ever had. They don't have the experience to run a hot dog stand let alone a City! Why have they not cut back staff in the last six years, if business has slowed. They have the same number of staff handling development issues. What do they do with there days, if there not approving development. Does Sharon stare out of her office window, at Stuart park looking at the nice Bear Sculpture while she reflects back on the fiasco the Logo change was! I loved the old Logo! It said who we were as a City and Community. You know how much it cost to create a new Logo, if you add up the legal challenges they had! I could go on and on!

Go Walter Go!

sbeecher10 wrote:1. He lost a human rights tribunal. Should be enough said right there. But to add just in case- he made comments about how gay people should not be proud and he did not want the 'lifestyle' to be encouraged for youth. He also spent $40,000 of taxpayer money on the trial and we, as a community, became recognized internationally for his actions. Even now, he states he would remove proclamations as mayor because he does not want to be 'forced to discriminate' (which I have to comment- are you serious???).

2. After losing to Shepherd in 2005 he told the media he guessed 'pink, frilly curtains' would be up in city hall now. How could anyone not be offended by this statement?

3. He encouraged Milroy to come here for the Lawson Landing project, which led to a lawsuit against the city regarding the Simpson's covenant, and subsequently led to the CD-21- a proposal which offered about a dozen 30+ storey highrises within a few block radius along the waterfront of downtown. And even now, after it failed to pass (thankfully), and the community has moved on with more long-term, sustainable planning for the ENTIRE downtown, he says he would bring it back.

4. He refused to answer a question asked by Mayor Shepherd at the forum this past Wednesday about recent changes in the OCP and how he would implement them because 'he was not going to be mayor in 20 years'- that is how much foresight (and care) the man has for the future of this community.

5. He is a bully. He has done nothing but attack the current Mayor and council; offering very little (if any?) of his own thoughts or vision for the future of this community.

6. He lies. He tells people at one of the initial forums he would not bring CD-21 back and a few days later- he stands up at a forum and says he plans on bringing it back.

The start of my list...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

pacificcapital wrote:Walter has the vision and leadership this City needs.

I have been a local resident of the City of Kelowna for 35 plus years and I can compare the style of leadership of Walter and Sharon. (Giving the word leadership to Sharon is a little bit of a stretch) Walter knows how to inspire and lead Council and can make a tough decision even if its not the most popular decision. You wont always agree, but at least you need to have your Councils respect.

Sharon, doesn't make a decision, she waffles under pressure! This lack of leadership makes the vast majority of council waffle. When many of the major decisions go to committee at tax payers expense that's non productive. A leader needs to command the respect of others, then work with those individuals (in this case City council). The lack of Sharons leadership has caused the City to be very counter productive. I personally know a few businesses that decided Sharon and the current council were NOT OPEN FOR BUSINESS. This has to stop! Just drive up Bernard and take a look! See the vacant businesses. Those spaces should be filled. There was no vacant businesses on Bernard under Walters rein. You cannot blame the economy fully. Lots of incentives can happen to attract businesses downtown. Plus responsible development can ensure business thrives downtown.

Yeah? Like what kind of incentives to attract business? Lower rents in buildings that the owners want to have vacant to create the slum-look and drive other businesses under so they can do a fast land-grab?

Build high rises on land they manipulated away from landowners who did not want to sell but were forced to because the greedy CD21 supporters wanted what they had?

What you perceive to be waffling under pressure is better than how Walter bullied decisions through. At least Sharon allows her councillors to make up their own minds on issues rather than forcing them all around to her way of thinking. I like that and never could tolerate bullies. She encourages discussion and looking at all sides of an issue instead of brow-beating council to vote before they are ready or discourage talking or taking projects to the public for input, too.

She's also not selling false promises of high rises as a means to improve downtown which is what Walter is doing - highrises that will be non-existent because Walter's henchmen can't get their grubby hands on the land they need to build them.

pacificcapital wrote:How is the current Council? For many Councilors, its the highest paying job they have ever had. They don't have the experience to run a hot dog stand let alone a City! Why have they not cut back staff in the last six years, if business has slowed. They have the same number of staff handling development issues. What do they do with there days, if there not approving development.

Planning issues still come up - including long range planning and the OCP which your buddy Mr Gray is not interested in because he won't live that long so why bother his little self-centered head about it?

New transportation corridors, new planning for the downtown - the whole downtown, not just the totally unrealistic and totally bogus CD21, human issues such as caring for all the people and developing other urban centres away from the downtown are all things that concern people. The city, contrary to what Mr Gray and his buddies are saying, has made a lot of good decisions and done a lot for this city while they have sat in the big chairs. But Mr Gray continues to harp away at the old CD21 and will not be open and honest enough to tell the truth about it.

Even a person running a hotdog stand can have business experience - a council does not need to be made up of real estate agents, developers and lawyers in order to make sound financial decisions. Having money does not equal having intelligence. Quit being a snob.

Income does not equate to caring about the taxpayers of the city - which, of course, Mr Gray does not. Mr Gray is only running because he's *bleep* off about losing out on the CD21 - and for no other reason. He doesn't give a rat's patootie about anyone who can't croon about how wonderful he and his henchmen are. He doesn't want consensus on issues - and compromise - he was always a bully and will just continue to bully - and sulk when he doesn't get his way.

pacificcapital wrote:Does Sharon stare out of her office window, at Stuart park looking at the nice Bear Sculpture while she reflects back on the fiasco the Logo change was! I loved the old Logo! It said who we were as a City and Community. You know how much it cost to create a new Logo, if you add up the legal challenges they had! I could go on and on!

And what will Mr Gray stand and stare at? Ficticious high rises on the lakeshore and no place for the common people who own that lakeshore and want to keep it?

pacificcapital wrote:You know how much it cost to create a new Logo, if you add up the legal challenges they had! I could go on and on!

Oh, please do ... tell us about Walter's legal challenges with his various land grabs and underhanded tactics as well as his penalties for human rights issues.
Last edited by grammafreddy on Nov 7th, 2011, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

pacificcapital wrote:Walter has the vision and leadership this City needs.

How is the current Council? For many Councilors, its the highest paying job they have ever had. They don't have the experience to run a hot dog stand let alone a City! Why have they not cut back staff in the last six years, if business has slowed. They have the same number of staff handling development issues. What do they do with there days, if there not approving development. Does Sharon stare out of her office window, at Stuart park looking at the nice Bear Sculpture while she reflects back on the fiasco the Logo change was! I loved the old Logo! It said who we were as a City and Community. You know how much it cost to create a new Logo, if you add up the legal challenges they had! I could go on and on!

Go Walter Go!

sbeecher10 wrote:1. He lost a human rights tribunal. Should be enough said right there. But to add just in case- he made comments about how gay people should not be proud and he did not want the 'lifestyle' to be encouraged for youth. He also spent $40,000 of taxpayer money on the trial and we, as a community, became recognized internationally for his actions. Even now, he states he would remove proclamations as mayor because he does not want to be 'forced to discriminate' (which I have to comment- are you serious???).

2. After losing to Shepherd in 2005 he told the media he guessed 'pink, frilly curtains' would be up in city hall now. How could anyone not be offended by this statement?

3. He encouraged Milroy to come here for the Lawson Landing project, which led to a lawsuit against the city regarding the Simpson's covenant, and subsequently led to the CD-21- a proposal which offered about a dozen 30+ storey highrises within a few block radius along the waterfront of downtown. And even now, after it failed to pass (thankfully), and the community has moved on with more long-term, sustainable planning for the ENTIRE downtown, he says he would bring it back.

4. He refused to answer a question asked by Mayor Shepherd at the forum this past Wednesday about recent changes in the OCP and how he would implement them because 'he was not going to be mayor in 20 years'- that is how much foresight (and care) the man has for the future of this community.

5. He is a bully. He has done nothing but attack the current Mayor and council; offering very little (if any?) of his own thoughts or vision for the future of this community.

6. He lies. He tells people at one of the initial forums he would not bring CD-21 back and a few days later- he stands up at a forum and says he plans on bringing it back.

The start of my list...

You have an outstanding business opportunity . . . cause whatever you're on must be worth million to distort reality so much. Walter is not going to be mayor again . . . ever. Come tonight to the Community Theatre and watch Sharon lead Walter right where he is destine to go . . . showing his true colors and why Cal would be a better choice for mayor that Wally.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Atmos wrote:I thought, at first, you were exaggerating what Walter Gray said regarding Gays and Lesbians so I looked it up.
{snip}
:137:

To be fair though, Walter Gray has stated unequivocally he will not discriminate this time around.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
bvanexan

Post by bvanexan »

pacificcapital wrote:Gray is NOT anti Gay he has Gay friends. Would you rather have a Mayor that is willing to sign any proclamation that comes across her desk. Sharon signed a Pro abortion proclamation and then signed ant abortion proclamation. Wow that's making a stand! So he doesn't want to waste time with proclamations, I would rather him focus on the major issues.

I'm gay, and I am born and raised in the Okanagan. I have been a part of the LGBT community here for 12 years. I am a business owner myself, and I know MANY other gay people, and gay couples who are business owners as well. NONE of them are friends with Walter Gray. I hope you don't honestly believe there are ANY gay people who would be friends with a man who doesn't believe gay people should be proud of who they are.

It is imoportant not to confuse issues like "human rights" with issues like "abortion". Issues like abortion and euthanasia obviously have considerable arguments for and against, and understandably, people take sides based on moral standings. But issues like "should gay people be allowed to be proud" are not debatable. They are fundamental human rights issues. Walter Gray violated the rights of his own community members because he is a homophobic bigot.

It will be a travesty to elect Walter Gray back to office.
koivu11

Post by koivu11 »

"the old gray mayor" (must admit i have been singing this to my son all morning,with a smile) and fourshame.org will pull out all the stops in the next week . distorted facts and personal attacks , but zero content or real solutions.

i agree with a previous post attend the forum tonight and listen to the former mayor lack of answers or insight.
last weeks highlight for me was WG responding to a question on the next 20 years and the offical community plan. his response" i won't be the mayor in 20 years i do not need to answer that question."

ladies and gentlemen how is that for LEADERSHIP, VISION, and CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY

sustainability not profiteering
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:
Atmos wrote:I thought, at first, you were exaggerating what Walter Gray said regarding Gays and Lesbians so I looked it up.
{snip}
:137:

To be fair though, Walter Gray has stated unequivocally he will not discriminate this time around.

Sorry but a Bigot cannot change his spots
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Glacier wrote:To be fair though, Walter Gray has stated unequivocally he will not discriminate this time around.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein.

Of course he won't discriminate again - he got ripped a new one last time. He'd get ripped a new one if he did it again. The result won't change, so why would he subject himself (and the city) to the same outcome?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
KelownaGuy19

Post by KelownaGuy19 »

36Drew wrote:
Glacier wrote:To be fair though, Walter Gray has stated unequivocally he will not discriminate this time around.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein.

Of course he won't discriminate again - he got ripped a new one last time. He'd get ripped a new one if he did it again. The result won't change, so why would he subject himself (and the city) to the same outcome?

But it's not like he'd support it, though. Rather than face discriminating again, he's said he'll just do away with proclamations from the get go. It's his way of saying that he WOULD discriminate, but doesn't want anyone's feelings to get hurt.
Last edited by KelownaGuy19 on Nov 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Exactly. He will abide by the HRT and issue no proclamations.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Pacificcapital, there are many flaws to your "arguments."

There are supporters to both sides on this forum. "Most of Gray supporters have jobs" is an immature, unnecessary jab trying to hint that Sharon supporters are unemployed. For the record, I support Sharon and am employed fulltime, as are everyone else I know that will be voting for her and/or Voting against Walter.

There are people expressing their opinions about the pros/cons about both candidates. This isn't an "anti-hate group:", these are real people from all over Kelowna expressing some very real, valid concerns about Walter Gray and what could happen if he gets elected in.

Gray does not care about the long-term future of Kelowna, nor does he care about all of its citizens. He did not even take the time to read through an important document and can not answer questions properly because he is ignorant to many things. That doesn't sound like taking his job seriously to me. A city NEEDS long-term planning. If you actually listen to the two main candidates speak (not just what the media says about them or claims they said out of context), and listen to their plans, its clear who will actually make Kelowna a better place to live in. Somehow I don't think many citizens of Kelowna will be thrilled to see more of our beautiful lakeshore turned into skyrises. There is a difference between "development" and smart development.

The issue with proclamations is not about "making a stand", its about being fair and not letting your personal beliefs get in the way of representing a city, and ALL of its citizens. If Sharon had only signed one proclamation and refused the other, that would be letting personal belief get in the way of politics. The fact is that Walter IS anti-gay and has shown in the past to let his beliefs get in the way of being a truly fair leader that thinks of the rights of all of this city's people.

Showing that you represent ALL people of Kelowna IS a major issue. What is "unimportant" to one person can be a very important one to another.

Downtown does not look like a Ghetto, calling it "horrible and not a place for families" is just plain silly. Have you ever lived anywhere outside of Kelowna? In comparison to many other cities both larger and smaller in size, our downtown is pretty darn good. No it is not without problems (by the way, Sharon's quote about how nothing downtown needs to be done? Twisted and taken out of context.) but the issue is not that black and white. There are several programs for the homeless in place, inn from the cold etc.. and if you've ever walked around downtown Kelowna in the summertime, or any season, it is a great place to be.

Things do not change overnight, and the issues that Kelowna faces are ones that you can find in ANY city. Blaming those kind of issues on the current mayor is ridiculous in the same way that it is to blame her for the world wide recession. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture and you will see that blaming Sharon for these things is unfair, and it is ignorant to think that Walter will be able to do any better.

Not only am I not voting for Walter, but if he wins this election myself and several other people I know are seriously considering moving away until a more fair, long-term and sustainability-minded mayor takes his place and this is not an idle claim. As beautiful as our weather is here, I would not want to live in a town run by a bigot that does not take the city's long-term well-being into consideration.

*edit* Spelling.
Last edited by Lunar on Nov 7th, 2011, 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Unfortunately, I think a chunk of Walter's supporters will be coming from his church. Anyone know what religious affliction affiliation he has?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

The fact that he cant even answer a simple question as to the OCP, shows how much he thinks of himself. If he cant even do his homework now, how about if he is Mayor? You really think he will do his homework then?
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

John500 wrote:The fact that he cant even answer a simple question as to the OCP, shows how much he thinks of himself. If he cant even do his homework now, how about if he is Mayor? You really think he will do his homework then?

You are so bang on. I was amazed last night and somewhat sadden to hear the applause for someone who refused to answer the questions asked of him, was unprepared, and on way too many occasions tried the old "bibles and brimstone hell fire and damnation" slamming my hand on the pulpit we're all doomed if we don't vote for me . . . what a laugh fest. Answer the questions honestly and leave the grandstanding for your next church convention.
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

pacificcapital wrote:All you haters in here, have so much time to do posts. Unbelievable you set up an anti hate group rather than a support group.
Your so threatened, by a business minded Mayor. Most of the Gray supporters have jobs and are too busy to be in here. Look at any real polls that cant be manipulated and Grays in the lead. It will be a tight race no doubt but I sure hope we don't have a dysfunctional council this time around. There's so many Sharon supporters in here only because her Website encourages it. So don't get over confident.

Gray is the right person for Kelowna right now. Walk around downtown and tell me the job Sharon and her Council has done in the last few terms. She was recently quoted saying downtown is just fine! you kidding me? How is it fine> to me it sounds like she is okay with not moving forward. She was okay with getting a big fat pay raise.

Gray is NOT anti Gay he has Gay friends. Would you rather have a Mayor that is willing to sign any proclamation that comes across her desk. Sharon signed a Pro abortion proclamation and then signed ant abortion proclamation. Wow that's making a stand! So he doesn't want to waste time with proclamations, I would rather him focus on the major issues.

There is real business concerns here folks, like how can we get the economy stimulated. I know its not by turning away business like the current Council does. I know a few business people that have been turned away by current Council. I am not talking development either. One was for a Solar panel Company, I know the Company well. It would have generated 200 plus jobs in town. Now there in the USA because current Council was not willing to do a few tax breaks. That is the wrong message! We should be open for business. What happened to all the green Councilors on that one?

Did you know Walter was instrumental lobbying to get the new bridge in Kelowna, and also Prospera Place. Did a ton for RCMP and homeless issues. There is more crime and a bigger homeless issue now after the last few terms. Downtown looks like the ghetto. Its horrible and not a place for families.

Vote Gray! Come on you haters, I am ready for you.

Your post is immature and silly however you are entitled to your opinion. A company wanted to set up here but didn't because council didn't give them tax breaks? Should everyone get tax breaks that wants to open a business? We didn't ask for one and we do employ a number of people. I think you must be part of the me generation if you think that everyone deserves something to start a business here.
Downtown is not a ghetto and me and my family that includes a toddler uses the downtown core frequently to shop and dine and simply spend money. Like I said before I think alot of the CD-21 supporters, especially the younger ones want it because they feel the city owes them a source of entertainment and they think this will be it. Kelowna lakeshore has already been built on enough, if they want apartments downtown build tthem away from the lake.
I was born and raised here and it was a lovely town that went downhill quickly when Gray was mayor.

eta- I am not a supporter of our current mayor, although I did vote for her to get rid of Gray, however with the old Gray mare coming back he leaves little choice then voting for her again.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”