Hopkins / Chahal

hoot
Fledgling

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by hoot »

@fluffy

Reading comprehension ?. You attacked their ability to express themselves in council!.

My big concern in having either of these two on council would be their ability to present themselves in such a fashion as to be taken seriously
"

Nice try at a flip flop but 1 out of 10 for style. LOl

Ageism :Ageism is a type of discrimination that involves prejudice against people based upon their age. Similar to racism and sexism, ageism involves holding negative stereotypes about people of different ages.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I didn't "attack" hoop, I expressed a concern. Do you not think it's a legitimate one?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

-fluffy- wrote:You need to work on your reading comprehension toot. Concern with having young councilors being heard is more of a reflection on some of the stuck-in-their-ways seniors which this town has an ample supply of. You hear what I'm saying gramps?

and then hoop wrote:Ageism :Ageism is a type of discrimination that involves prejudice against people based upon their age. Similar to racism and sexism, ageism involves holding negative stereotypes about people of different ages.

You're right hoof, it was wrong of me to make seniors the target of my criticism. I should have said:

Concern with having young councilors being heard is more of a reflection on some of the stuck-in-their-ways self-important close-minded over-opinionated jerks which this town has an ample supply of. You hear what I'm saying?[/quote]
Last edited by fluffy on Nov 7th, 2011, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hey Fluf ... sounds like just another bad case of elderphobia. Alot of that going around in town these days!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Hey Fluf ... sounds like just another bad case of elderphobia. A lot of that going around in town these days!

Sorry if I gave that impression, it was unwarranted. I usually have a reasonably high tolerance for blowhards but sometimes they catch me with my guard down.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Actually Fluffy ... I agree with you 100%. There is an attitude out there that I'm not about to get into. I just hope that we can see a younger council with fresher untarnished thinking. For to many years this town has been held back by the "why change" majority. You said it the way it is and I give you credit. Good on you.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

I didn't "attack" hoop, I expressed a concern. Do you not think it's a legitimate one?

An opinion based on not knowing the individual, and basing it solely on their age ?. Nope it's not a legitimate concern.

Writing someone off because of their age is crass, how else will they gain experience if not by participating. ?

Listen to what they have to say, and try not to pre-judge a candidate of any age young or old. You'll feel better for it.

Here endeth the lesson , I have a flight to catch..
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You can puff and posture all you like toot, I know what I meant even if you can't fathom it. The prejudice in this situation will come from those of narrow vision who have it set in their mind from the start that someone so young cannot have anything to say worth listening to, so it will take young people of exceptional articulative skills to overcome that prejudice.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

I don't agree with electing "token" voices on council, for youth or any other reason. I have, however, heard Wesley Hopkins speak with knowledge and confidence. I wish him well.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Captain77 wrote:I don't agree with electing "token" voices on council, for youth or any other reason.

Agreed, but it does remain that Penticton's youth are not currently represented on council. Should either of the two young candidates display the qualities I see as important in any council member, I would seriously consider casting a vote in their favour with their age as a plus.

Current council is populated almost exclusively by members active in the local business community. This is not necessarily a bad thing as running the city is much like running a business, but that means that most issues would be viewed through the eyes of a business person. The city has a large young population, and a large retired population, with neither group directly represented on council at present. I'm suggesting that a little balance can be a good thing.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote: The city has a large young population, and a large retired population, with neither group directly represented on council at present. I'm suggesting that a little balance can be a good thing.

Just doing some quick math in my head.....given 7 council positions......would a representative makeup be 5 retired people over 65, one and a 1/2 employed people, and 1/2 a twenty something?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Twobits and Fluffy - you don't have to be something in order to represent that particular voice. For example, ANY candidate could commit to regular meetings with local youth group/environmental group/fine arts group etc. as a way to bring forward the voice of the community. Someone like Wesley Hopkins can probably get to the council table on his own merits.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I am under the impression that Hopkins graduated from Harvard with a degree in Political Science....
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

livewire wrote:I am under the impression that Hopkins graduated from Harvard with a degree in Political Science....

There's a great bunch of NEW blood running for council. Good to see. Sure a whole lot better than the present ones. Operation "Clean Sweep" in full force now. The troops have been rallied; even the young people.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

"operation clean sweep". That's funny. Did you see the Herald results to the poll question on who are you glad is trying to make a political comeback?

Gary Leaman 62%
Katie Robinson 20%
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”