All cadidates forum Nov. 7

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

All cadidates forum Nov. 7

Post by bob vernon »

There is an all candidates forum for city council and mayor at the Performing Arts Centre at 7:00 pm Monday Nov. 7.

Be there or be square!!
ScottSA
Fledgling

Re: All cadidates forum Nov. 7

Post by ScottSA »

I was there as one of the candidates, and I'd like to point out, as I would have there had there been time, that Mr. Lippert's suggestion that we have to choose between high taxes/fees and fewer services is a false dichotomy.

The current City Hall has 315 full time employees. 66 make $75,000 or more and 13 make over $100,000. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It seems that the City Council is being run by the bureaucrats in the planning department rather than the other way around. We need an external audit to eliminate that wastage just for starters.

Second, I live on the Landing, and frequently follow a bus with two people on it - and one of them is the driver. If we need to run empty buses on routes that no one uses, why do they have to be giant gas guzzlers? I understand there's an actual shortage of bus space on the route to OK College, and if that's the case, why not run one of the big buses from an empty route there, and hire someone with a station wagon to run the empty route (and I'm only half joking)?

These are only two of very many problems with wastage at City Hall that has to be stopped, or at the very least looked into.

Scott Anderson
Last edited by ScottSA on Nov 18th, 2011, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottSA
Fledgling

Contract with Taxpayers

Post by ScottSA »

NEWS RELEASE

NRCC- 005 11 November, 2011

ONLY TWO VERNON CANDIDATES SIGN CONTRACT WITH TAXPAYERS

VERNON— Scott Anderson, currently running for Vernon City Council, is one of only two Vernon candidates to sign the Canadian Taxpayer's Federation (CTF) pledge to introduce a Taxpayer Protection Bylaw in their community.

The bylaw would enshrine the Contract’s principles and enforce a provision for a 15% pay cut for both the mayor and council if property taxes are raised beyond the rate of inflation without explicit public consent.

"Everyone talks about fiscal responsibility at election time," said Scott Anderson, candidate for Vernon City Council. "But this is the one chance candidates have to put their money where their mouth is. As it turns out, Bob Spiers and I are the only ones with the guts to do it."

The Contract with Taxpayers includes ten points, including keeping tax increases at or below the provincial rate of inflation, encouraging direct democracy, supporting transparency in expenses and a Municipal Auditor General, and combating senior levels of government when they try to download services onto the municipality.

“This commitment to taxpayers is unprecedented in its strength and diligence,” said Jordan Bateman, the CTF’s British Columbia director. “These candidates aren’t just talking the talk, they are walking the walk—putting their own salaries on the line to keep property taxes as low as possible.”

If elected, Anderson plans to call for more communication from City Hall, help bring fiscal sanity to city council, repair existing infrastructure, support a Core Services Review, and help create a business friendly environment in Vernon.

For more information:

Scott Anderson, Candidate, Vernon City Council

BACKGROUNDER

NCCCTF-05

Text: Contract with Taxpayers

If elected as a mayor or councillor on November 19, I pledge to uphold these principles:

I will not vote to raise property taxes beyond the provincial rate of inflation (unless I get approval from taxpayers in a referendum)—and will diligently try to get increases lower than that.

I will move our municipality toward fee for service for as many functions as possible.

I will not vote to take on or fund services that are the proper jurisdiction of federal, provincial or regional governments.

I will push my municipality to investigate partnerships with other governments, non-profit organizations and businesses to reduce costs of service delivery. Infrastructure and public safety will be my top budgetary priorities. Taxpayers’ personal property rights will be respected and upheld. Under my watch, citizens will receive complete, accurate and timely information from their municipal government.

I will ensure taxpayers have the opportunity to participate in open dialogue with the mayor and council, voicing their opinions on any matter affecting the municipality.

I will publicly disclose and publish copies of all receipts I charge to my municipal expense account.

I will support measures that improve transparency and accountability, such as a Municipal Auditor General, introduction of municipal politician recall rules, and the use of referenda, plebiscites and citizen initiatives to gauge public opinion on major expenditures and issues.

I will support the introduction of a Taxpayer Protection Bylaw (similar to the one attached) that financially punishes any mayor and council for raising taxes above the rate of inflation with a one year, 15% pay cut.
ScottSA
Fledgling

Re: All cadidates forum Nov. 7

Post by ScottSA »

I'm Scott Anderson, one of only two Vernon candidates to sign the Canadian Taxpayer's Federation (CTF) pledge to introduce a Taxpayer Protection Bylaw in Vernon. The bylaw would enshrine the Contract’s principles and enforce a provision for a 15% pay cut for both the mayor and council if property taxes are raised beyond the rate of inflation without explicit public consent. Check out the other nine pledges at the link: http://taxpayer.com/british-columbia/bc ... -tax-hikes
----------------------------------------------

Synopsis to make your life easier: I'm in favour of - in order of importance - the following: better contact between Vernon City Council and citizens, fiscal responsibility, a business friendly environment, infrastructure improvements instead of expensive vanity projects, a core services review, and improving relationships within NORD.

Return to “C.E. Vernon”