Walter Gray, Proclamations and the Kelowna LGB Community

richardtaylor1973

Walter Gray, Proclamations and the Kelowna LGB Community

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

We have an apparent change of tone from Walter Gray on this subject.

To cut straight to the point, last week Walter stated there would be a return to 'no proclamations' if he was elected Mayor.

Tonight, at the Daily Courier's two-candidate-only mayoral forum (a decision by Jon Manchester that I continue to applaud) Walter *seemed* to backtrack and indicate that if he was faced with a similar situation (re: proclamations and the LGB community) that he would put the decision in the hands of council.

This begs two questions:

1. Could the Gray for Mayor campaign please clarify these statements, essentially answering the following question as directly and completely as possible: if Walter were elected and was asked to proclaim Gay and Lesbian Pride Week in the City of Kelowna next June, what will happen and why.

2. Could current council candidates outline their position with regard to this. i.e. if this matter were put to a vote in council chambers, would they vote to SUPPORT such a proclamation or would they vote AGAINST such a proclamation and why.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Walter Gray, Proclamations and the Kelowna LGB Community

Post by 36Drew »

richardtaylor1973 wrote:We have an apparent change of tone from Walter Gray on this subject.

To cut straight to the point, last week Walter stated there would be a return to 'no proclamations' if he was elected Mayor.

Tonight, at the Daily Courier's two-candidate-only mayoral forum (a decision by Jon Manchester that I continue to applaud) Walter *seemed* to backtrack and indicate that if he was faced with a similar situation (re: proclamations and the LGB community) that he would put the decision in the hands of council.

This begs two questions:

1. Could the Gray for Mayor campaign please clarify these statements, essentially answering the following question as directly and completely as possible: if Walter were elected and was asked to proclaim Gay and Lesbian Pride Week in the City of Kelowna next June, what will happen and why.

2. Could current council candidates outline their position with regard to this. i.e. if this matter were put to a vote in council chambers, would they vote to SUPPORT such a proclamation or would they vote AGAINST such a proclamation and why.

I gather from his public statements and behaviour at the Q&A sessions - Walter Gray will tell the voting public exactly what they want to hear in order to garner their votes. I'm pretty sure that machine will turn off if and when he's elected, and the real Walter Gray will then step forward.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Benzi

Post by Benzi »

The old gray Mayor is what he used to be. Self serving power broker for the developers. NO THANKS
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

I would first like to clearly reaffirm that I am not taking a position on the Mayoral race and I believe each candidate is a great community leader and would be honoured to work with any of them.

My personal positon is that I do support a gay and lesbian pride week proclamation and as a councillor I would vote in favour of one. But more importantly than whether I would or wouldn't, is the why.

There is still a considerable amount of negativity towards those of differing sexual persuasions, and it manifests itself into bullying, harassment, and violence. A gay pride week proclamation would not only be a sign of support towards those communities, but it would be a sign of acknowledgement that there is still work to be done, there are still social barriers to be brought down, that there are still attitudes that need to be changed, and that society needs to be more accepting of those that are perceived as different.

Whether candidates or readers of this forum are supportive of a proclamation or not, it is important to know, either way, why. Attitudes will never change unless we question why we have them.
mersha

Post by mersha »

Did the councillors answer this question? I find it discouraging how evasive the pride proclaimation position information is to find. Can it be found in one place? I would also like to hear from them why, either way.

I have never been more proud to live in Kelowna then I was when for the first time in Kelowna's history, the rainbow flag was flying high on the courtesy pole at City Hall. This relatively quiet, but not un-noticed gesture publicly stated that both Kelowna's municipal leadership and it's citizens accepted, supported and welcomed a huge community of people.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

So Gray will turn it over to the councillors. Is that leadership? I think its chicken sh.t leadership.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

mersha wrote:

Did the councillors answer this question? I find it discouraging how evasive the pride proclaimation position information is to find. Can it be found in one place? I would also like to hear from them why, either way.

I have never been more proud to live in Kelowna then I was when for the first time in Kelowna's history, the rainbow flag was flying high on the courtesy pole at City Hall. This relatively quiet, but not un-noticed gesture publicly stated that both Kelowna's municipal leadership and it's citizens accepted, supported and welcomed a huge community of people.

I look forward to the day when someone doesn't ask the question about sexual orientation, because it doesn't matter. Same goes for what the colour of someones skin is, their age, their sex or where they came from. We are all "people" our differences is what will make us great and we should embrace them.

I for one wouldn't care who either of my sons choose to love...just that they love and have a great life with someone who loves them back..can't see anything wrong with that!

I would be honoured to support "all" proclamations!

Dayleen Van Ryswyk
For Kelowna City Council
www.dayleenvanryswyk.com
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

John500 wrote:So Gray will turn it over to the councillors. Is that leadership? I think its chicken sh.t leadership.

That's not quite what he said he'd do.

He said he would consult with his council and then make his decision. That doesn't mean he would go along with what the council decided.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”