Why I Am NOT Voting for Sharon

pacificcapital

Why I Am NOT Voting for Sharon

Post by pacificcapital »

Why I am NOT voting for Sharon and I AM voting for Walter Gray!

Rather than be negative about this, like some other people have been in here regarding
Walter Gray I just want to say I think Sharon is a nice lady. But this is not personality
contest, this is a Mayoral race. Sharon try’s to please everyone but that does not work in
the position of Mayor. As an example of this she will sign any proclamation; she proved
this by signing both pro abortion and anti abortion proclamations. This
might make the point of signing proclamations being a huge waste of time.

We need to compare previous history and business backgrounds to decide who the right
candidate for the job is. That being said I have formulated a few reasons why Walter
Gray is deserving of your Vote!

Walter Gray is a leader beyond anything this City has ever seen from a Mayor. Walter is a person whom can make a difficult decision. A leader is an individual whom commands the respect of others and works with a cohesive team. Although the team (Council) may not always agree it’s vital to have a sense of unity. A leader can adapt in changing economics which Walter has proven and vocalized he can and will do if he gets re-elected.

Walter thinks outside of the box. Walter negotiates on the Provincial and Federal level to get money for the City. Walter was instrumental in the New bridge we see today, Prospera place and the Green Way (All three phases) There was lower crime, more community services and less of a homeless issue. Walter was a Member of Premier Campbell’s Task Force on Homelessness. He really cares about this issue!

Last night at the Forum Walter talked about moving forward from old plans and working and creating new innovative plans. He handled some very tough questions extremely well. Even some Sharon supporters booed Sharon on topics such as the LOGO fiasco. Sharon had a few supporters take off there buttons, this was witnessed by a few parties. They have now become Walter supporters.

Sharon likes to rely on costly and time consuming committees. This is a waste of tax payer’s money and from what we have seen the last two terms Sharon has been Mayor it’s a very dysfunctional Council and it has been VERY inefficiently run. Walter will work cohesively with a Council and make the tough decisions that need to be made as he has done in the past. This is a very efficient way to run a Council. Walter has also vocalized the city needs to be more efficiently run. Budgets need to be monitored etc.

I think more than anything a person’s track record speaks for itself. Here are just a few of the accomplishments Walter Gray has achieved in the City of Kelowna.

Walter Gray’s service for his community began in 1975 when he was the Founding Director for the Kelowna Snowfest Committee. Between 1975 to 1998, he served as President of the Okanagan Neurological Association.

President of the BC Association of Broadcasters, President of the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, President of the Kelowna/Kasugai Sister CityAssociation, Director of Telefilm Canada, Chairman of the Okanagan University College Bold Horizons. Director of the Okanagan Film Commission, and currently as Director of BC Transit, Member of Premier Campbell’s Task Force on Homelessness, Mental Illness and Addictions, and Member of the BC Achievement Awards Advisory Panel.

In 1986, Walter Gray was elected as City Councillor for the City of Kelowna and served until 1990. In 1996, he was elected Mayor for his first of three consecutive 3-year terms, being re-elected in 1999 and 2002.

Walter you have proven to be a real Community leader you have always taken the time to speak with anyone and everyone in the Community.

Vote for Walter Gray November 19th
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Why I Am NOT Voting for Sharon

Post by Mtn Biker »

pacificcapital wrote:Why I am NOT voting for Sharon and I AM voting for Walter Gray!

Rather than be negative about this, like some other people have been in here regarding
Walter Gray I just want to say I think Sharon is a nice lady. But this is not personality
contest, this is a Mayoral race. Sharon try’s to please everyone but that does not work in
the position of Mayor. As an example of this she will sign any proclamation; she proved
this by signing both pro abortion and anti abortion proclamations. This
might make the point of signing proclamations being a huge waste of time.

We need to compare previous history and business backgrounds to decide who the right
candidate for the job is. That being said I have formulated a few reasons why Walter
Gray is deserving of your Vote!

Walter Gray is a leader beyond anything this City has ever seen from a Mayor. Walter is a person whom can make a difficult decision. A leader is an individual whom commands the respect of others and works with a cohesive team. Although the team (Council) may not always agree it’s vital to have a sense of unity. A leader can adapt in changing economics which Walter has proven and vocalized he can and will do if he gets re-elected.

Walter thinks outside of the box. Walter negotiates on the Provincial and Federal level to get money for the City. Walter was instrumental in the New bridge we see today, Prospera place and the Green Way (All three phases) There was lower crime, more community services and less of a homeless issue. Walter was a Member of Premier Campbell’s Task Force on Homelessness. He really cares about this issue!

Last night at the Forum Walter talked about moving forward from old plans and working and creating new innovative plans. He handled some very tough questions extremely well. Even some Sharon supporters booed Sharon on topics such as the LOGO fiasco. Sharon had a few supporters take off there buttons, this was witnessed by a few parties. They have now become Walter supporters.

Sharon likes to rely on costly and time consuming committees. This is a waste of tax payer’s money and from what we have seen the last two terms Sharon has been Mayor it’s a very dysfunctional Council and it has been VERY inefficiently run. Walter will work cohesively with a Council and make the tough decisions that need to be made as he has done in the past. This is a very efficient way to run a Council. Walter has also vocalized the city needs to be more efficiently. Budgets need to be monitored etc.

I think more than anything a person’s track record speaks for itself. Here are just a few of the accomplishments Walter Gray has achieved in the City of Kelowna.

Walter Gray’s service for his community began in 1975 when he was the Founding Director for the Kelowna Snowfest Committee. Between 1975 to 1998, he served as President of the Okanagan Neurological Association.

President of the BC Association of Broadcasters, President of the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, President of the Kelowna/Kasugai Sister CityAssociation, Director of Telefilm Canada, Chairman of the Okanagan University College Bold Horizons. Director of the Okanagan Film Commission, and currently as Director of BC Transit, Member of Premier Campbell’s Task Force on Homelessness, Mental Illness and Addictions, and Member of the BC Achievement Awards Advisory Panel.

In 1986, Walter Gray was elected as City Councillor for the City of Kelowna and served until 1990. In 1996, he was elected Mayor for his first of three consecutive 3-year terms, being re-elected in 1999 and 2002.

Walter you have proven to be a real Community leader you have always taken the time to speak with anyone and everyone in the Community.

Vote for Walter Gray November 19th

I too was there last night and I think Wally is a poser, who's real motivation is to win a popularity contest, because his “I can't believe he lost to a woman” attitude is so prevalent, it smells. Shepherd steered this city through the worst economic turn down in 30 years, while Wally lived in the days of sunshine and prosperity. Yet he still managed to get the city sued twice or was it three times.
You can keep spouting your Wally World for Everyone, he's so great BS . .. because it's as amusing as Wally was last night when he dodged every tough question that would clearly show his colors. Got to give him credit for being slippery and smooth though. He reminds me of a used car salesman. Say what you need to get the sale, and deal with the fall off after you have the money.
pacificcapital

Post by pacificcapital »

Listen just the fact that you call Walter, "Wally" shows your very disrespectful. The volume in that place brought the house down by the end of the night for cheers for Walter, and many once Sharon supporters hung the heads in shame as Sharon waffled under pressure during the debate. I think Sharon is a nice lady and you do not represent her very well.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I disagree, I think the above represents a Shepherd supporter very well. They attack, because their candidate can't lead. I will vote for anyone else, just not Shepherd.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:I disagree, I think the above represents a Shepherd supporter very well. They attack, because their candidate can't lead. I will vote for anyone else, just not Shepherd.

There are many forms of leadership. Some respectful and reserved, but determined and get results. There are some that are aggressive and get results. One is done out of respect and thinking beyond oneself and in the best interest of all. Then there is the type that takes charge and gets things done, right or wrong, with inclusiveness or not, collateral damage aside, things get done. Then the city gets sued, the mayor is call to task for leading the city into conflicts with the citizens one is supposed to represent. Hmm, let me think, . . . kind, thoughtful, respectful on one hand, or bully, bigot, admittedly anti-gay on the other . . . hmm someone for all, or someone for the privilege few . . . hmm someone willing to answer ANY question before them, or someone who winzes and declines to answer when the answer might not be to their advantage. Ya, you can have Wally if you think his style of leadership is for you. I rather be respected and heard, than dismissed or marginalized. Go Shepherd.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mtn Biker wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:I disagree, I think the above represents a Shepherd supporter very well. They attack, because their candidate can't lead. I will vote for anyone else, just not Shepherd.

There are many forms of leadership. Some respectful and reserved, but determined and get results. There are some that are aggressive and get results. One is done out of respect and thinking beyond oneself and in the best interest of all. Then there is the type that takes charge and gets things done, right or wrong, with inclusiveness or not, collateral damage aside, things get done. Then the city gets sued, the mayor is call to task for leading the city into conflicts with the citizens one is supposed to represent. Hmm, let me think, . . . kind, thoughtful, respectful on one hand, or bully, bigot, admittedly anti-gay on the other . . . hmm someone for all, or someone for the privilege few . . . hmm someone willing to answer ANY question before them, or someone who winzes and declines to answer when the answer might not be to their advantage. Ya, you can have Wally if you think his style of leadership is for you. I rather be respected and heard, than dismissed or marginalized. Go Shepherd.

Funny. . . you say you would rather be respected - but your own posts are singularly lacking in it. Your derisive tone does not endear your candidate.

No, Shepherd is not for me; I will vote for Chung, Condy or even Gray. Condy is definitely in consideration, he is active on the forums, not afraid to answer questions and so far I have not seen that he or his supporters are lacking in consideration or respect.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:

Funny. . . you say you would rather be respected - but your own posts are singularly lacking in it. Your derisive tone does not endear your candidate.

No, Shepherd is not for me; I will vote for Chung, Condy or even Gray. Condy is definitely in consideration, he is active on the forums, not afraid to answer questions and so far I have not seen that he or his supporters are lacking in consideration or respect.

I am sorry I confused you . . it's not a matter of respect . . . I don't like Wally, as a person or mayor, and I think I've been clear on that. Generally I don't show respect to people I don't like for the reasons I don't like him. I think he was a terrible mayor, and would be again. And like you, I would pick anyone of the other candidates before Wally. My tone has nothing to do with my choice of candidate, this is me writing my thoughts, and believe me, you would never hear Shepherd talk like me. But this is me, and I don't like Wally, and will continue to say so. Are you ok with that?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mtn Biker wrote:I am sorry I confused you . . it's not a matter of respect . . . I don't like Wally, as a person or mayor, and I think I've been clear on that. Generally I don't show respect to people I don't like for the reasons I don't like him. I think he was a terrible mayor, and would be again. And like you, I would pick anyone of the other candidates before Wally. My tone has nothing to do with my choice of candidate, this is me writing my thoughts, and believe me, you would never hear Shepherd talk like me. But this is me, and I don't like Wally, and will continue to say so. Are you ok with that?

In answer to your question at the end there, not particularly. Lack of respect in society is a pet peeve of mine and really has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand, so I apologize for the digression. That being said, I can certainly understand your position; I try to offer Mayor Shepherd respect for the position but don't particularly care for her or her politics so it can be quite difficult at times. I have never felt comfortable with Shepherd as mayor, and do look forward to someone hopefully replacing her.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Sharon is set in her ways!
We need new blood.
Walter Gray is an old horse, and you know what they do to old horses............

Condy is the only guy who will listen and devote his life to being the best Mayor Kelowna that Kelowna will see in a long time.
We need a devoted Mayor, not someone who is set in their own ways, or pre-occupied with another occupation.
We need someone who will listen to concerns, and schedule many more council meetings to deal with them.
Cal Condy is the guy!
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:I am sorry I confused you . . it's not a matter of respect . . . I don't like Wally, as a person or mayor, and I think I've been clear on that. Generally I don't show respect to people I don't like for the reasons I don't like him. I think he was a terrible mayor, and would be again. And like you, I would pick anyone of the other candidates before Wally. My tone has nothing to do with my choice of candidate, this is me writing my thoughts, and believe me, you would never hear Shepherd talk like me. But this is me, and I don't like Wally, and will continue to say so. Are you ok with that?

In answer to your question at the end there, not particularly. Lack of respect in society is a pet peeve of mine and really has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand, so I apologize for the digression. That being said, I can certainly understand your position; I try to offer Mayor Shepherd respect for the position but don't particularly care for her or her politics so it can be quite difficult at times. I have never felt comfortable with Shepherd as mayor, and do look forward to someone hopefully replacing her.

And this is why we vote. Or why a sports team plays the game. My position is simple. For my lifestyle, values and what I want from a community, Shepherd has done more the last 6 years, than any of the others in the previous 20+ I have lived here. I have seen the downtown area go from a dirty, un-inviting place, to one with full restaurants, families walking about, and a lot more comfortable feeling being downtown. Obviously I ride a bike, and the expansion of cycle routes is one I lobbied for beginning 15 years ago. We couldn't get Gray to hear us, but I have been actively involved in the processes since Shepherd has been mayor, and the results are everywhere in the city. It's funny you brought up the word respect in the previous post, because I truly feel Gray does not respect many sectors of our population, he has demonstrated so, and has been brought to task on that. And for me that's not acceptable.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mtn Biker wrote:And this is why we vote.

I completely agree with you on that front. We all have our reasons, and we all need to make our choices clear on election day.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sharon is a hardworking individual and very dedicated to this city.

But I don't think that's quite enough to run the city...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lady tehMa wrote: Condy is definitely in consideration, he is active on the forums, not afraid to answer questions and so far I have not seen that he or his supporters are lacking in consideration or respect.

Past tense - he WAS active on the forums at the beginning. Now not so much. I think he embarrassed himself in the local media and has been pretty quiet since.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Not true, he was at the OK College today, and will be at the Centennial Hall tonight
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

UltraViolet wrote:Not true, he was at the OK College today, and will be at the Centennial Hall tonight

My apologies - I misunderstood you to mean THESE forums.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”