Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by grammafreddy »

pacificcapital wrote: Sharon and her current Council have been a huge result of the current ghetto that's currently our downtown.

Mr Gray created that ghetto when he was mayor. It got its start with him.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
pacificcapital

Post by pacificcapital »

That is not true. There was no retail space available at that time, far less crime and less homeless people. The focus has been on silly stuff like backyard chicken coops and Logs that never needed to be changed. When you have a poor leader its pretty tough to have an effective Council. There is a few really good current Councilors. We do need to get rid of the flaky ones though.

grammafreddy wrote:
pacificcapital wrote: Sharon and her current Council have been a huge result of the current ghetto that's currently our downtown.

Mr Gray created that ghetto when he was mayor. It got its start with him.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

pacificcapital wrote:That is not true. There was no retail space available at that time, far less crime and less homeless people. The focus has been on silly stuff like backyard chicken coops and Logs that never needed to be changed. When you have a poor leader its pretty tough to have an effective Council. There is a few really good current Councilors. We do need to get rid of the flaky ones though.

Unfortunately, it iS true. I am sorry you don't like facts but I can't change those facts to suit you or Mr Gray's other dreamers.

When did the planning and council discussion about changing the city's logo first start? I am not convinced it started with the current council. But, once again, what you see as "waffling" and "changing her mind" I see as a willingness to listen to the people she represents as Mayor - all of them.

And what's with the chickens? Is that all you can focus on now? I am flattered that you seem to feel it is important enough to slam anyone about and I find that rather comical. Is that the best the Gray supporters can come up with now? That's so sad. Sharon has NOT focused on chickens (she said she is willing to look at the issue) but she has focused on long range planning and diversifying urban development in other areas of the city - which Mr Gray has NO interest in.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

pacificcapital wrote:I own several businesses but what and where I do my business respectfully is my personal business. There are too many crazy castanet haters in here for me to give out personal information. I will say I do know about a dozen business owners and managers in downtown Kelowna. There all very unhappy with Sharon and the current Council. They all say pretty much the same thing, Sharon is a nice lady but not a good business person and leader. Even more disturbing is Sharon's recent comments in two forums that she is happy with downtown? :ohmygod: I think Sharon's standard is far lower than Walters. There just in two different leagues. Sharon plays for the minors and Walter plays for the Majors. Sharon does not have the same Federal and Provincial connections Walter has. She doesn't know how to go after the funds available and the new Council has left dough on the table that was once available to the City thanks to Walter. Walter can get that money back.

I personally do not feel safe walking at night downtown. Sharon has been pretty vocal and critical with the Police in Kelowna. Rather than support the police she has showed up to Anti police rally's. Walter is a huge supporter of police on the other hand and would like to increase police officers in this City which we all know costs money. How will he increase police and lower tax dollars when policing makes up about 25% of the City's budget? Here is basic economics 101. Walter will fuel the economy in the private sector. Walter will also go after federal and provincial funds available. The only way to attract new business in the seedy areas of downtown is tax breaks. Who in the heck wants to go there otherwise, wold you? Walter understands this. Its a real shame to hear Sharon and the current Council turned away an Industrial business that would have generated 230 plus jobs in Kelowna. I am actually very familiar with this Company I will add. They are still a local Company that has its operations in Chicago. How sad! Don't worry when Walter gets elected we will try and at least get some of this business in Kelowna.

Takin it easy ! wrote:Just a question "pacificcapital" do you own a business or manage a company in downtown Kelowna ?
Thanks for your reply but I really think you should perhaps revisit your statement re: crazy castanet haters !
I for one have not heard or seen anyone say they hate Walter or Sharon hate is a strong word that seems to be injected about others when one can not get their own way or does not agree with anothers point of view a sort of nasty defence word.
The real question is how will "all of us benefit" from Walter being Mayor or does that matter too those that would benefit most ?
To be honest I am not thrilled about voting for Sharon but I am taking the approach of voting for the lesser of 2 evils.
Walter is a nice enough chap but has forgotten the average citizen and will no doubt champion the cause of the rich and famous and the rich and not so famous big fish in a small pond types that have been sucking the life out of Kelowna for many years and having a hayday when Walter was Mayor.
Sharon at least has an idea about who she represents other than how big ones bank account is and the power brokers and their wannabees in this town something that will seem like deja- vu all over again if Mr Gray gets in as Mayor.
Last edited by Takin it easy ! on Nov 8th, 2011, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

EdCase wrote:
richardtaylor1973 wrote:
bvanexan wrote:Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.

Better get packing either way as [one of] the biggest driver[s] of our economy - private sector development and construction - will continue to flatline under Shepherd.

I just cannot understand this myth that Gray is some kind of knight in shining armour who will lead us into a bright economic future.

Nor can I. I lived in the same neighborhood as him for a year and used to walk by his place daily - often spoke with him. He was personally an okay guy to talk to, a little eccentric. He was, however, opinionated and didn't care to hear any views that contradicted his own.

The seeds of our economic malaise were planted many years ago by Gray & his predecessor. Neither had - or in Gray's case, has - any concept of an integrated economic development strategy is or how to implement it. They rode a speculative real estate boom and did nothing to attract long-term high value business investment to Kelowna: all bubbles burst and we are now paying the price for Gray's neglect of this vital initiative.

All bubbles burst. Kelowna seemed to focus on attracting developers and development during Gray's tenure as mayor. While construction is important for creating living and working space, it has a limit. When a housing bubble pops, so does home construction. If you build more office space than there are business tenants to fill said space, then you only serve to depress that market.

The city and province both did some work towards making concessions and offering incentives for a large manufacturing facility in this town. They moved out, even after being given funds by our provincial government.

The largest employer in this town is now Interior Health. They cater to a market segment that is known for being of poor health and eventually dying. (tongue-in-cheek, for those too dense to get it).

Kelowna already has empty industrial space floating around. I think it would be prudent to actually create a demand for it rather than trying to build more boxes in the sky. Development in and of itself doesn't create long-term sustainable jobs. Industry, on the other hand, does.

As for his blather last night about an un-named company that chose a US location for 220 manufacturing jobs, he did not specify the reasons for their decision other than to imply they were not made to feel welcome by city hall. Over the years,

A politician using anecdotal conjecture and not providing verifiable facts to back up his platform claims? Say it isn't so!!! Tell me, are you really surprised at that?

there have been a number of other companies that have considered the Okanagan for manufacturing plants but have concluded that our remoteness from key raw materials and high freight costs make us non-competitive.

This is a bar to entry in any city not located on a major shipping route. Companies that require raw materials would have to rely on shipping via truck or air. Kamloops has the advantage of a large rail system passing through town. Our tiny rail spur seems to be more or less loathed whenever it impacts anybody's daily schedule. Kamloops has three major highways passing through and intersecting - we have a "connector".

Lack of skilled labour has been another key issue and well-qualified people have been reluctant to move here because of limited alternative employment opportunities should their original job not work out.

There is no lack of skilled labour in this town, regardless of what anybody says. There's a lack of skilled workers who will earn less-than-stellar wages for their skills and who are quite capable of leaving and going to work where they can make the money they want.

Gray and the current council have all dropped the ball with regard to economic development in Kelowna. It's why I will not be voting for him and most of the incumbents: we need fresh thinking!

I concur.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

Walter Gray will probably win the election because the majority of voters in Kelowna are stupid.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lizard King wrote:Walter Gray will probably win the election because the majority of voters in Kelowna are stupid.

I don't think they are. I think some may be under-educated, though, about the history and the issues. And some don't care about history or issues - they just vote for their buddies or fellow church members or co-workers regardless of anything else.

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Lizard King wrote:Walter Gray will probably win the election because the majority of voters in Kelowna are stupid.

or they are sick and tired of Sharon and the others running aren't contenders.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

normaM wrote:

or they are sick and tired of Sharon and the others running aren't contenders.

The problem I have with that argument, is that it's the same every election.
"We are sick and tired of (insert name here)".

Yet, the longest serving members are the ones we keep electing. Minus the ONE time we got tired enough to vote out Walter Gray. And now people want him back!? How easily some people forget I think.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

From what I saw at the "Meet and Greet" in the Centennial Hall tonight, Mr Gray figures he's got it made.
And yes, I kind of agree that people are going to make the wrong choices once again.
If we only had mandatory voting...........
jakef

Post by jakef »

UltraViolet wrote:

From what I saw at the "Meet and Greet" in the Centennial Hall tonight, Mr Gray figures he's got it made.
And yes, I kind of agree that people are going to make the wrong choices once again.

Walter Gray will always feel he's got it made- he is way too narcissistic to think of it any other way. Just as he still talks about how he only lost in 2005 because people didn't vote, and he didn't take the campaign very seriously (although spent $50,000+ on it)- without any recognition of the fact he had ostracized himself from a huge portion of the population with projects he supported unrelentlessly, a lack of care/knowledge of social issues, and discriminatory remarks. He doesn't get it- and he never will.
Kathy73

Post by Kathy73 »

jakef wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:

Walter Gray will always feel he's got it made- he is way too narcissistic to think of it any other way. Just as he still talks about how he only lost in 2005 because people didn't vote, and he didn't take the campaign very seriously (although spent $50,000+ on it)- without any recognition of the fact he had ostracized himself from a huge portion of the population with projects he supported unrelentlessly, a lack of care/knowledge of social issues, and discriminatory remarks. He doesn't get it- and he never will.

JakeF, where's your proof he spent that last campaign? I know for a fact that that's not the case. All you Walter haters create nothing but propaganda and lies. So sick of it all!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Kathy73 wrote: All you Walter haters create nothing but propaganda and lies. So sick of it all!

IMO Walter does a pretty decent job of that himself - propaganda and lies. I agree ... so sick of it all.

papafreddy

Post by papafreddy »

That's right Kathy, its like when a sports team is losing they resort to dirty tactics. Sharon supporters are resorting to the same foul play as Walter is gaining steam and killing her in debates. He is leading all polls too, including the most credible ones. You will find Walter supports rather focus on the issues and that Walter will be a far better Mayor.

Da na na na, Da na na na say a ya good bye Sharon. Nice ring to it! Go Walter Go!

Kathy73 wrote:
jakef wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:

JakeF, where's your proof he spent that last campaign? I know for a fact that that's not the case. All you Walter haters create nothing but propaganda and lies. So sick of it all!
Kathy73

Post by Kathy73 »

Yes, GrammaFreddy, turn it around you always do! Nothing will convince you otherwise so no need to debate with you no more! You've made up your mind and I have mine. Just please stop all the Walter bashing-we don't so it to Sharon.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”