Backyard Chickens

Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Backyard Chickens

Post by Mtn Biker »

Wally said emphatically last night that there would be no urban chickens in Kelowna if he was mayor, and with one of his patented slam the pulpit "you're darn straight" moments. That guy is just so righteous I can't wait NOT to vote for him.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

The topic of Urban Chickens came up last night?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Mtn Biker wrote:That guy is just so righteous I can't wait NOT to vote for him.

Agree 100%
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't see the Urban Hen issue as "there's more important issues so move on". I see it as one of the issues that citizens feel is important, just as they may feel traffic improvement is an issue, economic development is an issue, more dog parks is an issue, etc.

Why do people have to come out with, "What I want is more important so therefore council should not deal with what you feel is important." and "There are more important issues so what you want is not important enough to deal with."?

As evidenced by the Vernon response, there can be a lot of interest and support for Urban Hens, but the actual doing is totally different. People support dog parks but don't have dogs or have dogs but don't use the dog parks. You can support a cause or an issue but not actively participate in the issue personally.

Yes, I do agree a lot of time and money has already gone into the Urban Hen topic. Most of it was totally unnecessary. A simple change to the existing Animal Control Bylaw, similar to what Vernon did, would have been quite sufficient and cost effective. Most of the supposed "issues" arising from keeping chickens in an urban setting are already covered under existing bylaws. There is no need to draft a whole new legal document just for Urban Hens. There is need to "over-think" the keeping of hens on small residential lots. Many, many communities in North America allow for it and the different municipal documentation is available widely on the Internet.

The City of Kelowna has already set many standards for "green initiatives" and has regulated and outright banned a number of things. Keeping chickens is just one more part of being "green" and fits quite perfectly with "green agendas" and "community sustainability", and yet there is little support on council's part for this small part of "green living".
__________________________________________________________________________________________

36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

grammafreddy wrote:As evidenced by the Vernon response, there can be a lot of interest and support for Urban Hens, but the actual doing is totally different. People support dog parks but don't have dogs or have dogs but don't use the dog parks. You can support a cause or an issue but not actively participate in the issue personally.

Council might also look to Abbotsford, which also permits Urban Hens (in addition to Urban Beehives, I might add).

Abbotsford also has a population base that exceeds that of Kelowna's as well as a landscape that is as widespread and diverse as kelowna's.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
fedup

Post by fedup »

backyard chickens. really. this is why council is broken. lets add the time money and resources already wasted because of backyard chickens. WOW. make a decision council. what a waste of time and my tax dollars. yes or no. who cares. make a decision and move on to actual issues that will beneifit the city, and the people who live here. this is exactly why there needs to be change down there. study for this study for that. all that adds up and waste's our tax dollars. what a waste of money and time because this council cant make a decision. thats fantastic.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

fedup wrote:backyard chickens. really. this is why council is broken. lets add the time money and resources already wasted because of backyard chickens. WOW. make a decision council. what a waste of time and my tax dollars. yes or no. who cares. make a decision and move on to actual issues that will beneifit the city, and the people who live here. this is exactly why there needs to be change down there. study for this study for that. all that adds up and waste's our tax dollars. what a waste of money and time because this council cant make a decision. thats fantastic.

Hmmm ... IMO it's staff in this case who is the real problem.

pacificcapital

Post by pacificcapital »

Why are we even talking about having backyard chickens coops. OMG you kidding me. A Huge waste of money and time. Lets focus on real issues.
Last edited by pacificcapital on Nov 9th, 2011, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This issue has been on the table for a while - and there's no pressing reason I can see not to have an answer one way or the other.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fedup

Post by fedup »

yup. because everyone in a position of authority these days are afraid to make a decision on anything. so they defer it and delay it study it then eventually they pay some outsider to make the decision for them so the power people here feel they are not liable for that decision. but the kicker is all that time and money wasted comes right out of our pockets. nice. lets elect some folks who will make those decisions and be responsible for the decisions they make, while saving us the tax payer a fortune in non sense because of a backyard chicken dilema. this is crazy.
pacificcapital

Post by pacificcapital »

fedup wrote:yup. because everyone in a position of authority these days are afraid to make a decision on anything. so they defer it and delay it study it then eventually they pay some outsider to make the decision for them so the power people here feel they are not liable for that decision. but the kicker is all that time and money wasted comes right out of our pockets. nice. lets elect some folks who will make those decisions and be responsible for the decisions they make, while saving us the tax payer a fortune in non sense because of a backyard chicken dilema. this is crazy.

I agree! We need a Council that can make tough decisions, and this one should not be too tough. Bottom line is we need a Mayor and Council with true leadership. Go Walter Go! No more waffling on issues.
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

here is a poll regarding urban hens:

http://okanaganpolls.ca/kelowna/urban-hens.asp
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I want to get 4 "urban hens" but my neighbours says if I do she will wring my neck. So I guess I'm the only chicken on this urban farm!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

wanderer wrote:I want to get 4 "urban hens" but my neighbours says if I do she will wring my neck. So I guess I'm the only chicken on this urban farm!

Win her over with some fresh backyard eggs.

wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

grammafreddy wrote:
wanderer wrote:I want to get 4 "urban hens" but my neighbours says if I do she will wring my neck. So I guess I'm the only chicken on this urban farm!

Win her over with some fresh backyard eggs.

O M G :skyisfalling: she would throw them at me! I already offered to share I would be a dead duck ... um er ... chicken!

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”