Negative Campaigning

EdCase
Board Meister

Re: Negative Campaigning

Post by EdCase »

jakef wrote:The Walter Gray camp and 4change group (I imagine the same people behind both) have strongly favoured negative campaigning during this election- how do people feel about this? A lot of people say 'this is politics for you'- but I question- does this have to be the way politics are?

Negative campaigning is built around the use of FUD - fear, uncertainty & doubt: use innuendo, insinuation and outright misrepresentation against your opponent to deflect any examination of your own lack of performance and integrity. It shouldn't work but we are now a politically ignorant society that can only digest its information in soundbites delivered delivered by bombastic 'commentators'. We are now conditioned to being told what to think without questioning its truthfulness or relevance. Politicians know this and use it to their advantage, not ours.

You notice that those being most negative in this campaign spend virtually no time talking about their platform and initiatives, but only focus on the perceived weaknesses of their opponents. If we are stupid enough to fall for this, we will get precisely the mayor and council we deserve.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Jimbo Jones

Post by Jimbo Jones »

I've just starting paying attention to the mayoral/council race recently, but I really haven't noticed any negative campaigning. I don't consider the discussions on the castanet forums as part of the official campaign, and I'm sure the candidates themselves would object to some of the negative comments made about their opponents on these forums.

Could someone please provide examples of this negative campaigning?
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Jimbo Jones wrote:I've just starting paying attention to the mayoral/council race recently, but I really haven't noticed any negative campaigning. I don't consider the discussions on the castanet forums as part of the official campaign, and I'm sure the candidates themselves would object to some of the negative comments made about their opponents on these forums.

Could someone please provide examples of this negative campaigning?

Jimbo; it's more subtle than outright attack. For example, the other night Gray stated that an unnamed manufacturing company had chosen to locate 220 jobs at a US site rather than Kelowna because they were not made to feel welcome by city hall. Your immediate impression is that the current mayor - for that is who he was debating - is somehow responsible for chasing away 220 badly needed jobs.

Let's look at the statement in more detail. First, the company is unnamed so there is no way of validating the truthfulness of the story or asking them why they did not locate here. Second, there are no specifics as to what they expected from city hall and who made them feel unwelcome. All subtle innuendo unsubstantiated with specifics, but the damage is done. To reinforce the message, one of Gray's supporters goes on this forum to claim that - nudge, nudge, wink wink, - once Walter is elected, he will get them to change their minds and come back here.

And people are gullible enough to believe this fairytale!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Jimbo Jones

Post by Jimbo Jones »

Thanks for the info. I unfortunately started my research into this election late, and am regretting it now. I had no idea that the two front-runners for mayor had such differing views, and I didn't realize the other candidates do not really have a reasonable chance at winning. The majority of my election research has been through online sources, namely castanet and candidate websites. I have not had a chance to attend any debates, but I hope to follow the online one tomorrow.

So far I am undecided on mayor, but I think I have found 5 council candidates that I like, I haven't even started looking at school trustee, and likely won't find the time before the election.

I have lived in Kelowna for about 3.5 years, and I know what is important for myself and my family, but don't see a mayoral candidate that I like - right now both front-runners get about a 5/10 on what's important for us. Hopefully the online debate tommorrow will help with the decision. I was hoping maybe that Gray/Shepperd debate would have a transcript available online.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

What the Walter supporters seem to be mistaken on, is they are confusing the candidates and their supporters.

Walter Gray is condescending and campaigning negatively in his advertisements and how he speaks at public forums.
Sharon Shepherd's supporters are very critical and negative towards Walter Gray but I haven't heard anything negative about Walter from Shepherd.
I for one fear what would happen if Walter Gray were allowed back in.

Personally I'd like to to continue to replace the old guard and get rid of Hobson and Blanleil in this election.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”