Castanet's Live Forum!

Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Castanet's Live Forum!

Post by Ub2 »

As much as I would like to see fourchange and Walter's campaign blow up in their faces; I think it's going to be a nail-biter.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

it is only going to be a nail biter if only 20% of the voters choose to exercise their right to vote.
sbeecher10

Post by sbeecher10 »

I don't care what Gray thinks about the LGBT community- and I shouldn't know- that's the point, he brought in his 'personal' opinions. He continues to state he would discriminate against this segment of the population, and as the main representative of the city, I'd say that's a huge deal. Particularly when there continues to be bullying in the schools, and a significantly higher suicide rate amongst gay youth. He keeps talking about 'bringing business and young people' to Kelowna without realizing/understanding the importance of having an accepting, diverse, and inclusive community where those groups actually want to reside here.
sbeecher10

Post by sbeecher10 »

I forgot one of the best moments of the forum tonight- Walter talking about the need to deal with all of the masses of election signs on the roadways- does anyone have more out there than him?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

i dunno, i dont even notice those election signs anymore...
Bellevuejim
Fledgling

Post by Bellevuejim »

If you watched the forum, it was almost entirely about personal opinions and values. That is why people choose who they choose...they pick the candidate that most closely relates to their own value structure. Many people share his values but do not want to stand up and make them public.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Bellevuejim wrote:Unfortunatly for you, this is kelowna. 95% of the population doesn't care about any of the points you mentioned. I also think That most people think that the anti gay thing has been beat to death...who cares what the mayor thinks about gays. It's his business. Proclamations mean nothing anyway. Don't let one man's views bother you...

I think you are quite wrong about what the majority of the population cares about. Gray made it quite obvious tonight that he STILL doesn't get (or more likely doesn't care) that his role as mayor is to represent ALL the people of the community.

The fact that the Old Gray Mayor is running again was the topic of a segment on the Bill Good radio show this morning. And specifically his refusal to proclaim Gay and Lesbian Pride Day when he was mayor. If the people of Kelowna are stupid enough to elect this old fossil again we will be as big of a laughing stock as Vancouverites are with Mayor Moonbeam.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What's with Walter being an Antichrist to gay people? Did he eat a gay baby or something?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

And specifically his refusal to proclaim Gay and Lesbian Pride Day when he was mayor.

Okay this was 14 years ago, I believe we all would do somethings differently today then we did 14 years ago. Have you noticed that the provincial government has never signed a proclamation for Gay Pride, yet there was no discussion on this for the 2009 provincial election. The provincial government even has a proclamation policy that they use which obviously excludes a Gay Pride proclamation maybe your energies are focused at the wrong target.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

GenesisGT wrote:The provincial government even has a proclamation policy that they use which obviously excludes a Gay Pride proclamation maybe your energies are focused at the wrong target.

You could be right .... but this is a municipal election and so what the province does or doesn't do is rather moot at the moment.

On your point, though, the Pride Parades are held in municipalities not as provincial things but to raise local awareness. Local proclamations are appreciated by and made for many other groups and organizations.

My sentiment is that any group who wishes to have a municipal proclamation should get it. A council's job is to represent all citizens, not just the ones who fall within a mayor's or council's personal preferences. If he/she/they are unaccepting that certain citizens live in their city/town/whatever, then they have absolutely NO business being in politics.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

GenesisGT wrote:
And specifically his refusal to proclaim Gay and Lesbian Pride Day when he was mayor.

Okay this was 14 years ago, I believe we all would do somethings differently today then we did 14 years ago. Have you noticed that the provincial government has never signed a proclamation for Gay Pride, yet there was no discussion on this for the 2009 provincial election. The provincial government even has a proclamation policy that they use which obviously excludes a Gay Pride proclamation maybe your energies are focused at the wrong target.

My energies? My energies are focused on electing a mayor who respects all the citizens of the city. Which is one of the many reasons I will vote for Sharon as I have in the last two elections.

As far as doing something different than 14 years ago, Gray pretty much said tonight that his feelings have not changed. In fact he still defends his actions as a "freedom of speech" issue.The only reason he would not do the same thing is that the Human Rights tribunal told him he can't. But it isn't his job as mayor to act on his personal beliefs. It is his job as mayor to represent all of the citizens of the city. As Mayor Shepherd does, and always has.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Did you know Sharon's business cards have Braille on them? She works with blind people in her off duty time apparently.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

beachday

Post by beachday »

grammafreddy wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:The provincial government even has a proclamation policy that they use which obviously excludes a Gay Pride proclamation maybe your energies are focused at the wrong target.

You could be right .... but this is a municipal election and so what the province does or doesn't do is rather moot at the moment.

On your point, though, the Pride Parades are held in municipalities not as provincial things but to raise local awareness. Local proclamations are appreciated by and made for many other groups and organizations.

My sentiment is that any group who wishes to have a municipal proclamation should get it. A council's job is to represent all citizens, not just the ones who fall within a mayor's or council's personal preferences. If he/she/they are unaccepting that certain citizens live in their city/town/whatever, then they have absolutely NO business being in politics.

So if there is a municipal proclamation for a group "anti gay proclamation" they should sign that because that represents certain citizens?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Is there some part of ALL you don't understand? It's not about how you or I or anybody else feels about it. Governments are not supposed to "feel" - they are supposed to operate for the benefit of all their citizens. If there is a group who wants a proclamation, then I don't have a problem with it as long as no laws are being broken. It reflects the fact that the community has these people in its makeup - not that one group is better or more worthy. It's not a "we are so proud you call Kelowna home"; it is a "Kelowna acknowledges this group as people who are members of our community".

GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Lastly, whats this if you are running for mayor, why are you not at the debate...wow, stroke that one off as no votes!

I assume you are referring to Kim Ouellette, she has stated that due to health reason associated with her open heart surgery, she is not able to currently attend forums. This has been reported in the Capital News http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/election/133201763.html
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”