UPDATE An (Un)Official Campaign Organization: FourChange.org

ScottRoss
Fledgling

Re: UPDATE An (Un)Official Campaign Organization: FourChange

Post by ScottRoss »

I respect your opinion, I would only clarify I have never said I support CD-21, indeed on here and elsewhere I have affirmed I oppose it.

I support high density, but viewing corridors, narrow floor plates, and waterfront park protection must be included. Protecting waterfront parks is a principle I hold dear, it is a part of my platform and part of my vision for Kelowna. Just as I can't imagine what Stanley Park would be like if it was replaced with development, I can't imagine a Kelowna with buildings replacing our waterfront parks.
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

So, we have heard a lot about CD21 and that is important. However, have any of you stated your opinion about "getting Harvey Avenue back in the control of our own City Hall and out of the hands of Victoria?" Click on my picture in the top left corner to view my blog. Here is a short statement.
There is now and has been for many years a desire to develop Harvey Avenue as part of the DownTown refurbishing. Remove that horrible highway 97 intrusion at a reasonable financial and environmental cost. We do not encourage the erection of a new bridge, trespassing through North Kelowna residential area, and disturbing environmental issues. The cost financially would be in the billions with a wait of at least 25 years.
Our desire is to accept John Woodworth's proposal of an elevated 97 over Harvey Avenue. The financial cost would be dramatically less. The land needed is already in place. As the senior Governments have stated their interest in exploring this John Woodworth recommendation, Charlie Hodge put forth a motion to proceed.
City Hall Councilors voted 4 to 5 against acting immediately.
Shepherd, Hodge, Hobson and Rule voted to act on this concept. Blanliel, Stack, Reid-Nagy, Craig and James voted against moving on.
Upon asking other new candidates, Shaw, Herrington, McFadden, Graham, Thompson, Singh, Basran responded favorably.
Zimmerman, Gran, Given were not really interested and gave me the cold shoulder.
Obviously, there is much more positive interest than negative no. Shaw's poll shows a 69% approval. My blog has had 1830 views so far and counting.
Cheers
Attachments
John Woodworth's Concept Drawing. This will remove Victoria's control and remove the north south division of Kelowna.
John Woodworth's Concept Drawing. This will remove Victoria's control and remove the north south division of Kelowna.
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think John Woodworth's concept drawing is out of scale if those overheads are supposed to be two lanes. Are they?

I think this statement ...

The financial cost would be dramatically less.

... is also misleading as you have also said the actual construction costs have not been determined, have you not?
Last edited by grammafreddy on Nov 12th, 2011, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

You are correct Granma. We do know that the original cost given to us back a few years ago was less than $100 million. Years have gone by and a new price has to be asked for from the builders waiting to build John Woodworth's recommendation.
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And the out of scale question??? You didn't answer that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

Sorry Gramma, what do you mean by out of scale. Would it be the artist's rendering ? If so that is possible. I noted the out of scale drawing of the original Bennett Bridge done by an artist. To get these things accurately that you are mentioning, we must have the Council ask for senior government action. You will note there are a lot of candidates interested and just maybe when the new Council is realized, it will get things rolling.
[email protected]
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Wow! Less than a hundred million bucks for a four-lane elevated highway extending how many miles? I'll bet they couldn't even do that in China!

Dream on.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mr barrymor wrote:Sorry Gramma, what do you mean by out of scale. Would it be the artist's rendering ? If so that is possible. I noted the out of scale drawing of the original Bennett Bridge done by an artist. To get these things accurately that you are mentioning, we must have the Council ask for senior government action. You will note there are a lot of candidates interested and just maybe when the new Council is realized, it will get things rolling.

I mean the picture you keep posting as John Woodworth's Concept Plan ...

At best, it depicts one lane per side. How many are you suggesting per direction?

It also doesn't accurately reflect the real width of Harvey Avenue.

mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

John Woodworth is suggesting two 2lane ribbons separated by a reasonable distance. One flowing east/north and the other flowing west/south. Greenery would be placed between the two 2lanes. Also the on/off ramps would be in the center where needed. The entry and exits at Gordon Drive and at the Bennett Bridge would be the off and on places with a possible on and off location at Richter.
Again, after proper road traffic engineering studies provided by MOT we would know if the system needed a total of 2 or 4 lanes. At the time of the building of the Bennett Bridge it was assumed that there would be 4 lanes in total.

Harvey avenue is a 100 foot width road. Many highways are 12 to 13 feet wide driving width.. So that could mean 26 feet per side with a 15 foot green area in between. John and the artist had envisioned a greater width between the two 2lanes.
[email protected]
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

To me its kinda nuts having an elevated highway through town. Bypass is the only solution. But we are great in dithering, playing politics etc instead of just getting things done. Which reminds me, the bridge was that good for the next 20 years traffic wise? Mmm
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Elevated highways in Kelowna are not the way to go.If you question that, just visit Toronto or Montreal and see how elevated highways have affected their waterfront areas. Elevated highways are great for industrial areas, but definitely not the way to go if there are surrounding residential areas or if you are attempting to rejuvenate a commercial/residential area.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

You folks fail to understand that we are trying to rid ourselves of Victoria and Ottawa control of the refurbishing of Downtown Kelowna. It is extremely important that Harvey Avenue is included in this process. As long as this 97 divides our City we will not become a unified entity. The dream of you creating a tax burden on your selves and your great grandchildren by forcing the billions of dollars debt that the North End Connector entails, is foolish to say the least.
In no way can you equate those two other city examples to what is being proposed here!

You are showing the need of leadership we are lacking in City Council. We are trying to get the public to realize the need of adequately experienced members on Council.
First we need a professional Public Engineer/Health CEO...Shane Herrington.
Second we need a lady that has community involvement as leader in countless community clubs and associations. Also has experience in representation on the Regional Board...Mary-Ann Graham
Third we need a High Tech world traveled business oriented professional...Simon Shaw.
Fourth for financial advice to Council we need a Masters in Finance...Peter McFadden.
Fith we need to get continued involvement from a long time adviser to Council.A VERY Successful business man who KNOWS what has been going on in our City and Council...Mark Thompson.

With this kind of advice input for Council, that will assist the positive thinking progressive present members...
Sharon Shepherd, Michele Rule, Charlie Hodge and Robert Hobson, the cry of not getting things done will disappear. WE DO NOT NEED AND SHOULD NOT ELECT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAR! To get POPULAR people up to speed will simply take too many years as they are not connected to the ongoing happening of the past years.
Attachments
Our own precious City. We must elect experienced progressive thinking Councilors who really understand the proper means of co-operating with the progressive people already on Council.
Our own precious City. We must elect experienced progressive thinking Councilors who really understand the proper means of co-operating with the progressive people already on Council.
[email protected]
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

I am glad Fourgreed has outed their group; the business owners who are behind the scenes. I believe in the political process and the rights of the individuals associated with Fourgreed to have their say. I am also glad they have identified themselves, because now I know whose business I can no longer support. As the old saying goes, you can tell me "to" do something, or you can tell me "how" to do something, but you can't do both.
Chris Brown 66

Post by Chris Brown 66 »

I would love to see a council made up of Sharon Sheppard, Mary-Ann Graham, Michelle Rule, Charlie Hodge, Bobby Kenedy, Luke Stack Graham James,Shane Herrington,Robert Hobson. They all live in Kelowna and dont just belong to organizations but help with the nitty gritty work for them.. A good diverse council from all areas of Kelowna. With both gender and age equality
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Chris Brown 66 wrote:I would love to see a council made up of Sharon Sheppard, Mary-Ann Graham, Michelle Rule, Charlie Hodge, Bobby Kenedy, Luke Stack Graham James,Shane Herrington,Robert Hobson. They all live in Kelowna and dont just belong to organizations but help with the nitty gritty work for them.. A good diverse council from all areas of Kelowna. With both gender and age equality

I can buy into this council: I like the diversity both from experience & geography. I do have a problem with Herrington's fixation on reverting to the old logo and think that Will Gow has a better understanding of the economic development issues that we need to tackle.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”