One issue voters

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: One issue voters

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I have no doubt if you walked into every office or work place in Kelowna, and held a vote, the resounding consensus would be that everyone is underpaid and under appreciated. This is just the way people are, no matter what they are paid or how many times they are told they are doing good work, they will always feel it isn't enough. It's just human nature.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
dbthorburn

Post by dbthorburn »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I have no doubt if you walked into every office or work place in Kelowna, and held a vote, the resounding consensus would be that everyone is underpaid and under appreciated. This is just the way people are, no matter what they are paid or how many times they are told they are doing good work, they will always feel it isn't enough. It's just human nature.

Maybe so, but there's only a very few select individuals who will run into that same very office while it's on fire to rescue all of the other underpaid and underappreciated workers who would no doubtedly be running in the opposite direction.

THAT is not human nature, but HERO nature, and I for one believe that we should reward those who put their lives on the lines for others who are not nearly as appreciative for what they've got.

Honestly,

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Councillor
http://www.DanThorburn.com
+1.250.864.1385

All men are created equal, then a few become firemen. ~Author Unknown
dbthorburn

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by dbthorburn »

Retrosnap wrote:Honestly... do firefighters in this city, indeed in any city, feel under appreciated?

The topic here was that compared to other cities and municipalities, our Kelowna volunteer firefighters ARE paid much less, yet they are expected to do much more. NOT ONE single firefighter that I talked to last night said or implied that they didn't love what they did, or that they wouldn't do their job unless they got paid more. NOT ONE said that they would only turn their hoses on to half pressure unless they got better wages, better equipment, better recognition. These men are not bargaining with us, or threatening action (or inaction). Instead, they came out last night to meet their candidates and tell us that if we don't do something about the situation right now, more and more volunteer firefighters will leave Kelowna and go work elsewhere because they are in HIGH DEMAND. Our brave heros want to stay here in Kelowna, so let's stop bickering about the incidentals, pull a tourniquet around the bleeding (wasteful spending) and invest back into the essentials that keep this city running.

Last time I checked, the ($$$) bear statue in Stuart Park wasn't putting out any fires for us...

Dan Thorburn
+1.250.864.1385

The funny thing about firemen is, night and day, they are always firemen. ~Gregory Widen, Backdraft
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

dbthorburn wrote:
Retrosnap wrote:Honestly... do firefighters in this city, indeed in any city, feel under appreciated?
Instead, they came out last night to meet their candidates and tell us that if we don't do something about the situation right now, more and more volunteer firefighters will leave Kelowna and go work elsewhere because they are in HIGH DEMAND.

I don't want to get into a debate about firefighters, because the thread is about one issue voters. However, without seeing some hard data, I have to call BS on this one. First....go to any city in Canada, to a firehall, or the HR Dept, and ask to get a job as a firefighter. Even a qualified firefighter will not be getting hired. How many unfilled vacancies are there for firefighters in Kelowna? I'll bet the answer is a big fat ZERO.

Now, volunteer firefighters may be in demand. However, a volunteer is just that...a volunteer. If someone is willing to leave their day job Kelowna, so that they can get a volunteer position as a firefighter elsewhere, I wish them well

Last time I checked, the ($$$) bear statue in Stuart Park wasn't putting out any fires for us...

Fully agree here. Public art has it's place, but not in tough times. However, even if you accept the value of Public Art, look at the 200K that the city will be spending on the H2O Centre. That will pay for 2 firefighter's wages and benefits
Dan Thorburn
+1.250.864.1385

The funny thing about firemen is, night and day, they are always firemen. ~Gregory Widen, Backdraft
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

I agree with Dan. Last night wasn't about them getting airtime to gripe and grumble. It was merely to get to know the candidates. There wasn't one fire fighter there who was anything but passionate about what they do.

I do ask you this though; if every 'volunteer' fire fighter stopped volunteering...where would we be? Would our regular paid fire fighters be able to do it themselves? Would this city be protected? Would we be safe?

Something to think about. Talk about the ultimate service to your community!

Dayleen VanRyswyk
For Kelowna City Council
http://www.dayleenvanryswy.com
Last edited by Dayleen on Nov 16th, 2011, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbthorburn

Post by dbthorburn »

Retrosnap wrote:Fully agree here. Public art has it's place, but not in tough times. However, even if you accept the value of Public Art, look at the 200K that the city will be spending on the H2O Centre. That will pay for 2 firefighter's wages and benefits

I'm appalled at the wasteful spending that is going on right now. Yes I appreciate art (actually, I LOVE art) but I also appreciate that fact that the rest of the world is taking a pretty big hair cut right now. Now is NOT the time to be spending $200K on a mural at the H2O.

Instead, why are we not encouraging youth groups, non-profit organizations, businesses, etc., to all contribute their time and donations (for example - Rona/H-D donating some old paint and brushes) to make the mural happen at NO cost to the taxpayer?

Community projects such as these should be done by our community, and not by our tax dollars.

Dan Thorburn

A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm - Henrik Ibsen

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”