Cal for Mayor

Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Cal for Mayor

Post by Ub2 »

I would like to know what our new Mayor is going to do about the on-going gangster and drug dealer problem that we have here in Kelowna?
It really isn't fair for taxpayers to be paying big taxes for the RCMP to babysit the drug industry, and yet we don't have basic community policing, or basic consistent traffic law enforcement by a reliable consistent police force.

How about some law enforcement and proper By-law enforcement to deal with the thousands of complaints per year that the City faces due to the lack of law enforcement in all areas. Quality of life is suffering, as well, Kelowna's claim to fame is "terrible drivers".

While the Mayor and council have bigger things to fry, the basics are being swept under the carpet.

The City of Kelowna needs an online complaint department, and multiple continuous online Citizen surveys to see what people would like to see as far as change. If the Mayor and council represent the general publics needs, then at least make it so we have some direct input that will be considered

I couldn't agree more as to what you have mentioned above in that crime, law and order and bylaw enforcement should be one of the top concerns. I don't believe you can proceed with increased development and population without first addressing these issues.

I've been looking at the various platforms of the current candidates and it seems no one thinks law and order is of much concern, or not a priority. Therefore is doesn't seem likely, a mayoral change will make much of a difference concerning these issues.

While the the present mayor and council may have come short of expectations, and you feel they have swept the basics under the carpet: one thing I can say (with the exception of Andre) is they were just starting to make some headway on some of what you outlined above.

If Walter and the four change group were to make it in, I'm concerned they will just look the other way as they/he had in the past, and work to undo or negate recent changes and the ones in the works at present. I'll do what I need to do so my vote will not help them get in.

A point of interest: many of the same candidates are running now as were running in the 2008 election. I found it interesting to read the posts from back then; I wonder if their stand on the issues will be the same, or will they modify them now, just to get elected.
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Thanks for bringing this up again. I've called for a City Hall complaint line prior. We also need more walking the beat presence, not just downtown, but in the neighborhoods as well. Most of the Police activity now involves cruising around in Police cars. Let's get our neighborhoods safe.

Cal
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

calcondy wrote:Thanks for bringing this up again. I've called for a City Hall complaint line prior. We also need more walking the beat presence, not just downtown, but in the neighborhoods as well. Most of the Police activity now involves cruising around in Police cars. Let's get our neighborhoods safe.

Cal

Kelowna has a land area of over 200 square kilometers. How much walking do you want our cops to do, and how do they respond to calls on foot compared to being in a police cruiser?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

RichardWede wrote: How much walking do you want our cops to do, and how do they respond to calls on foot compared to being in a police cruiser?

The City of Edmonton realized when things were out of hand(Back in the 80's) that cops walking the beat were really effective in detering crime and dealing with problem areas. This practice is very effective, and still takes place to maintain law and order.
A handful of cops walking problem areas will prove to deter crime, catch criminals, and stop arson and graffitti.
A police presence always has proven to deter those who otherwise think it's a free for all.

Edmonton cops that walk the beat have radios, and some even have radar guns.

Seeing as Kelowna has a serious drug problem, numerous fire bugs, and many out of control drivers, cops walking the beat would prove to be effective in making our community safer. Also, cops who walk the beat see what we see on a daily basis.
Sitting in a cop car limits what a cop see's and hears.

But, since law enforcement is reactive, not proactive, the stupidity will remain, and nothing will ever change.
Why do you think we have so many gangsters and drug dealers here, and so many crazy drivers?

This is a major concern for me and the other thousands of people who call in with their complaints.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Ultra Violet . . . ever consider running for council?
sweetcracker

Post by sweetcracker »

we need to hire more by-law enforcement also give them special constible status so they have some power, give them the traffic division and start giving the money from the tickets back to kelowna. Good luck Cal we need someone new and you just might be the guy we need to make a change.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Phil Johnson referred to Cal as "comic relief" after his performance at candidates forum.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Yeah, Phil was feeling especially nasty this morning, wasn't he?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Well Cal, how goes the campaign?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

So Cal was a no show for his hour of air time on Phil Johnson's show this morning. I wonder if he is throwing in the towel?

Then there is Oulette who said she couldn't attend forums or answer questionairres, but did show up for her hour with Phil yesterday.

This election has been nothing if not entertaining.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Was Cal also a no-show at the Firemen's forum last night? I heard he wasn't there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I timed my drive out of town today to coincide with that talk show. I was dissapointed he was a no show.
It was a good opportunity to redeem himself after the fiasco he had last week.
He's been conspicuosly absent from this forum also.
Not good mayor material, Im afraid.
Too bad, I often root for the little guy. It wouldnt have taken much for him to get my vote, but he wont get it now.
What an opportunity wasted.
What do you have to say about it, Cal?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Cal blew it. No show at 1150AM. Was looking fwd to it. Cal lost my vote. Back to Sharon.
Concerned_Business_Owner

Post by Concerned_Business_Owner »

Sharon and Cal are both cut from the same cloth.. :purefury:
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Come on Cal, step up to the plate. It looks like Mr. Chung is seriously wounded and we're not quite sure about Kim. I'm waiting for you or Kim to step up to the plate so that we won't be stuck with the two old mayors.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”