Hopkins / Chahal

beam-me-up-morrison

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by beam-me-up-morrison »

Hi. Rather than negativity, I'd like to share something positive.
WES HOPKINS is the real-deal. Phenomenal speaker. Stole the show at the Lakeside (on You Tube or Herald's website with a link near the top right), thunderous applause, apparently did an awesome job at Smith and Company last night, flagging on Vassalaki. He was asked point-blank if he'd leave town before his term was done and he assured crowd he'd stick around for three years.
Brilliant (as non-jocks who go to Harvard are), articulate and well-schooled.... he's what we need.
If anyone shares my sentiments, help spread the word in the next five days.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I think the kid has already prooven himself worthy of a spot but your efforts certainly won't hurt.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

I think Wes Hopkin was quite involved in the design and planning for the new Pen High building, I remember him from one of the community forums. So his Penticton involvement goes back to his high school days, and no one can deny that Pen High is fabulous!
CND1st

Post by CND1st »

beam-me-up-morrison wrote:Hi. Rather than negativity, I'd like to share something positive.
WES HOPKINS is the real-deal. Phenomenal speaker. Stole the show at the Lakeside (on You Tube or Herald's website with a link near the top right), thunderous applause, apparently did an awesome job at Smith and Company last night, flagging on Vassalaki. He was asked point-blank if he'd leave town before his term was done and he assured crowd he'd stick around for three years.
Brilliant (as non-jocks who go to Harvard are), articulate and well-schooled.... he's what we need.
If anyone shares my sentiments, help spread the word in the next five days.

I agree that Wes did a great job at the forums I saw him in. It is impressive to see that Harvard education at work! But it does make me wonder why he would go the Harvard, graduate and then come back here to run for a low-paying council job. If he's elected, his prize is 3 years at $19,000/year. That has to be the lowest pay scale for a Harvard grad ever!

Makes me think that if a high-paying job came along, he'd be gone faster then you can say 'Yes to Wes'.... :runforlife:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

CND1st wrote:But it does make me wonder why he would go the Harvard, graduate and then come back here to run for a low-paying council job. If he's elected, his prize is 3 years at $19,000/year. That has to be the lowest pay scale for a Harvard grad ever!

Makes me think that if a high-paying job came along, he'd be gone faster then you can say 'Yes to Wes'.... :runforlife:

Political science graduate? I would think it's obvious, a successful political career culminating in Ottawa could lead to early retirement with a six digit pension. A town council seat in his home town would be a logical first step. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it would mean that his time here would not be measured in decades that's for sure. He would certainly understand that his continued success in such a career path would hinge on his ability to do an excellent job at this level, so for as long as we could hang on to him here he wold perform well and do whatever it takes to keep the majority of voters happy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I was thinking exactly the same thing and see some similarities to Dan Albas.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
valleygirl1

Post by valleygirl1 »

I would just like to say that I have attended the forums at the Lakeside and Smith & Company where Wes Hopkin spoke. I am under 30 and find it interesting that Mr. Hopkin claims to be the sole representative of the under 35 crowd in the current field of council candidates. First of all he is not. Poonam Chahal is 18 and David Greenwood is 35. At 37, Jason Cox isn't too far off.

If I am going to elect a representative who understands my issues as a 25 year old, I think I want someone who has gone through this age recently and learned how to manage successfully, not someone who hasn't done it yet.

Furthermore, I don't think Wes Hopkin is representative of the age group he claims to represent. He is a Harvard Grad. It doesn't just take grades to get into Harvard it takes money and since Canada Student Loans aren't applicable at American universities, I would guess that his parents paid for that education and that he doesn't have the responsibility of a student loan like me and most of my friends. He came home from university and in addition to being admittedly unemployed, he is presumably living back with his parents which means he also doesn't know what its like to stretch a paycheck to make rent or what its like to choose between paying utilities and buying food.

There are a lot of people under 35 in this city who are single mothers struggling to feed their kids and get by. There are also a lot of young families who have a father who has to go up north to find work. I don't think Wes Hopkin knows a thing about what reality is like for these people he claims to represent. To borrow a phrase from Wes, If you have a plumbing problem hire an plumber... and if you want balanced youthful representation elect young councillors... the only addition I would make to that is just as you'd hire the plumber with a track record and experience... elect the candidates who have some life experience

Return to “C.E. Penticton”