Walter Gray Called Rutland 'Hooterville'

logicalview
Guru

Re: Walter Gray Called Rutland HOOTERVILLE

Post by logicalview »

Aluminium wrote:About as affectionate as calling the Mission Prickville... I've lived in the Rutland area for years and we have a helluva a time overcoming stigma. This is not going to help... I would like Mr. Gray, the human rights violator, to explain to my young daughter what Hooterville means and how she feels about growing up in Hooterville. :censored:

OK. I can explain Hooterville to your daughter for ya.

When can you come down to OKM and explain Prickville to the students?
Not afraid to say "It".
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Urbane wrote:
    Logitack wrote:walter may not have meant to demean rutlanders, he may even think he was being funny, but as a "seasoned" politician he should have known better, it was a major gaffe that could, potentially, cost him the election....and that would be a GOOD thing, from my perspective!

And even if he didn't mean to insult Rutland (and obviously he didn't) you would be happy to have it misinterpreted if it means he loses. I get it. And that's why so many people get turned off to politics and don't vote.

:rate10:

It is rather telling how quick people are to jump on Walter Gray, for just about anything, which seems to indicate to me that panic is now creeping in to the Shepherd campaign. I can just see Walter Gray being photographed kissing a baby and the usual gang on here posting it with "Walter Gray tries to eat baby!" or some such nonsense, anything to spin Walter as the bad guy. Desperation is a stinky cologne people.

Really. And how many times last night did Wally not answer the question, again, but instead took a moment to blast out again his mantra? What we're all saying is quite simple, Shepherd has an answer for what she is doing, or why, and some are popular and some are not. She'll stand and be accountable. Wally, just rants about what's wrong, but never about how he would do it different. He's just popping off like a "radio personality" who is so very skilled at deflecting the question and spinning it to his own ends. There is a real difference between the two. Shepherd comes prepared, stands by her decisions, answers the questions asked, and hasn’t once made a negative comment about anyone. Wally on the other hand, has continued to rant about current council, and never once does he offer solutions, just conjecture. The guy is smooth. You have to hand him that. Using his journalism school 101 tactics to cloak the fact he’s out of touch, really doesn’t have a platform and old news.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Mtn Biker wrote:Really. And how many times last night did Wally not answer the question, again, but instead took a moment to blast out again his mantra? What we're all saying is quite simple, Shepherd has an answer for what she is doing, or why, and some are popular and some are not. She'll stand and be accountable. Wally, just rants about what's wrong, but never about how he would do it different. He's just popping off like a "radio personality" who is so very skilled at deflecting the question and spinning it to his own ends. There is a real difference between the two. Shepherd comes prepared, stands by her decisions, answers the questions asked, and hasn’t once made a negative comment about anyone. Wally on the other hand, has continued to rant about current council, and never once does he offer solutions, just conjecture. The guy is smooth. You have to hand him that. Using his journalism school 101 tactics to cloak the fact he’s out of touch, really doesn’t have a platform and old news.

This is your impression, one you've shared on many other threads. Repeating it over and over again doesn't really help sell it anymore. I watched the Castanet debate online, and had a completely different impression than you. Such is life. I know this drives you crazy, but that's the downside to living in a democracy.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:Really. And how many times last night did Wally not answer the question, again, but instead took a moment to blast out again his mantra? What we're all saying is quite simple, Shepherd has an answer for what she is doing, or why, and some are popular and some are not. She'll stand and be accountable. Wally, just rants about what's wrong, but never about how he would do it different. He's just popping off like a "radio personality" who is so very skilled at deflecting the question and spinning it to his own ends. There is a real difference between the two. Shepherd comes prepared, stands by her decisions, answers the questions asked, and hasn’t once made a negative comment about anyone. Wally on the other hand, has continued to rant about current council, and never once does he offer solutions, just conjecture. The guy is smooth. You have to hand him that. Using his journalism school 101 tactics to cloak the fact he’s out of touch, really doesn’t have a platform and old news.

This is your impression, one you've shared on many other threads. Repeating it over and over again doesn't really help sell it anymore. I watched the Castanet debate online, and had a completely different impression than you. Such is life. I know this drives you crazy, but that's the downside to living in a democracy.

I don't find any downside to living in a democracy. I like the fact I can support a candidate or I can dish on another . . it's all part of the process. And I accept we don’t have to agree. What I would like from the Wally camp are some straight forward honest answers to questions instead of the dog and pony show we’ve been watching for two weeks. I have expressed the fact I don’t like the guy’s personality or his “leadership” style and believe he is probably the worst thing that could happen to Kelowna at this time. As for his supporters, they too don’t offer anything of substance in their arguments, their just bashing their hands on the pulpit and spewing out pointless comments and conjecture. Why not be a man, take your stand and say what it is you would do different or the same. And the fact he refuses, should be the clue anyone would need to see this guy for what he is . . . a radio personality. And that's all.
thefacts

Post by thefacts »

Urbane wrote:I was listening to the debate on the radio and the context is quite different than is being presented here. Good grief. He was coaxed (I think by Sharon Shepherd) to say what he had called Rutland and he said "Hooterville" and related how Al Horning had used that term affectionately. Not meant as an insult at all. Is Walter Gray ahead in the polls and are people just trying to find something where there isn't?

The comment was intended to be funny.

Sharon when elected to council in the early days wanted to change the name Rutland as apparently she did not like the name. Walter pointed out to her that Rutland was named after John Rutland. Walter commented that Rutland use to be referred to as Hooterville... and he is correct it was. Many of us use to call Rutland Hooterville... it was a nick name not sure where it came from but it seemed to have stuck for years. Walter even said.. ask Al Horning he has lived in Rutland for a LONG time and he will confirm this was nickname.

Nothing was meant of this comment... not a big deal to most I am sure.

A bigger deal is the FACT that Sharon took campaign money from the FIRE DEPARTMENT. Shame on her.. that is a huge conflict of interest.... I wonder if she will be voting in favor of their pay raises when they are in front of council??

Good bye Sharon.. time for Walter Gray to lead this city into the future.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Sorry, but dumping on Rutland is an issue and will be with Rutland voters.

DUMB comment-any apologies?

AND also pray do tell, where Walter gets his money from to finance his campaign???

THE FD money came from individual firefighters-NOT the union. Big diff (which they have a right to do.)
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

George+ wrote:Sorry, but dumping on Rutland is an issue and will be with Rutland voters.

DUMB comment-any apologies?

AND also pray do tell, where Walter gets his money from to finance his campaign???

THE FD money came from individual firefighters-NOT the union. Big diff (which they have a right to do.)

So, after seeing the reality of history, you *still* think he was dumping on Rutland? :127: Honestly, you feel that is what he was doing?????

I was trying to think of the other name for Glenmore besides Dry Valley.................finally remembered: "Starvation Flats".
Jeez Walter, do NOT think of calling it that!!!!!!! :skyisfalling:

Frankly, that would be worse than Hooterville. And, for those that now refer to the shantytown connotation.........that is what a poster here said and is their interpretation only.....it is NOT something that Walter said.

Finally, for the poster who used the "Prickville" comment..........if that was a valid old-time name for an area, then sure, it would be fine to use it (at one's own peril, just like Hooterville). However, it is not and has not been a validly used nickname for a local area so no, I don't think we need to use your personal biases against the Mission as a replacement name.

As for the last question/comment, I presume that Walter gets his money for his campaign from 2 places: his personal savings and from donors. Just like everyone else. :ohmygod: People, companies, groups, unions etc. will all donate for those who most align with their interests. Are you *really* surprised at this????? I suppose you are if you only look at one side of the equation.
You and 71 others Like this post
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

LANDM wrote:As for the last question/comment, I presume that Walter gets his money for his campaign from 2 places: his personal savings and from donors. Just like everyone else. People, companies, groups, unions etc. will all donate for those who most align with their interests. Are you *really* surprised at this????? I suppose you are if you only look at one side of the equation.

obviously walter thought it was a big deal with sharon. course he didnt get upset that gerry received the same amount from the firefighters... double standard?

as for the hooterville comment, stupid stupid stupid walter.....
ATS

Post by ATS »

Really this is an election issue? This is what someone will base their vote on?
Give me a break, get off your high horses and grow a thicker skin.
There are bigger issues to vote on, can someone tell me how many jobs this is going to cost our economy? Thats right none.
I say the next park built should be called Hooterville.
These forums are starting to be like a bunch of kids in a sandbox fighting over a shovel?
Before you try and bash me I grew up in Rutland, graduated from RSS and have a business in Rutland.
thefacts

Post by thefacts »

[quote="LANDM"]This has gotten really weird.........even to the point of someone saying that they have a daughter growing up in Rutland and <blah blah>.
Just because someone, decades later in another country, started a bizarre restaurant concept, called it "Hooters" and made the servers boobs the focus of that restaurant, does not mean that Walter Gray made that connection.
Sometimes the political correctness requirement is waaaay over the top.

The fact is, Walter's use of the term Hooterville can only speak to the reality of him living in Kelowna much longer than, apparently, most or all of you. Rutland was "affectionately" called Hooterville just as Glenmore was called Dry Valley.

I saw someone use that term in another thread and didn't really consider jumping on them since I grew up in Glenmore and wouldn't want my kids to think that their parent was brought up in a horrible place like "Dry Valley" :ohmygod: :skyisfalling:

I was really surprised to see QueenK jump on this one...........I would have thought you would have, in a different thread (the Remember When in Kelowna - or whatever it's called- thread) and a different time (no election), had a very different comment if someone posted:
"Do you remember when Rutland was called Hooterville and Glenmore was called Dry Valley?".
Fascinating when making political hay takes over everything.

I just did a google search of Hooterville.... from Wikipedia.............Hooterville was a fictional town that was the setting of the American television sitcoms Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. Enough said!
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

I just did a google search of Hooterville.... from Wikipedia.............Hooterville was a fictional town that was the setting of the American television sitcoms Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. Enough said!

I pointed this out on page one - could have saved yourself a google search. :sunshine:
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

I just heard the exchange between Wally and Sharon on the rebroadcast of the forum on 1150am. Hilarious. Wally was obviously trying to make Sharon look bad with his story and ended up with egg on his face. I LOVED Sharon's final words - that she told him not to bring up the story. She obviously had the zinger waiting for him. :dyinglaughing:
kelownasenior1942

Post by kelownasenior1942 »

Carmencat wrote:I just heard the exchange between Wally and Sharon on the rebroadcast of the forum on 1150am. Hilarious. Wally was obviously trying to make Sharon look bad with his story and ended up with egg on his face. I LOVED Sharon's final words - that she told him not to bring up the story. She obviously had the zinger waiting for him. :dyinglaughing:

Oh that Walter always did have a good sense of Humor. I remember him on the radio days on CKOV. A great honest man. Good for you Walter why take life so serious all the time. It gave me a good chuckle too.
sbeecher10

Post by sbeecher10 »

thefacts wrote:
Urbane wrote:I was listening to the debate on the radio and the context is quite different than is being presented here. Good grief. He was coaxed (I think by Sharon Shepherd) to say what he had called Rutland and he said "Hooterville" and related how Al Horning had used that term affectionately. Not meant as an insult at all. Is Walter Gray ahead in the polls and are people just trying to find something where there isn't?

The comment was intended to be funny.

Sharon when elected to council in the early days wanted to change the name Rutland as apparently she did not like the name. Walter pointed out to her that Rutland was named after John Rutland. Walter commented that Rutland use to be referred to as Hooterville... and he is correct it was. Many of us use to call Rutland Hooterville... it was a nick name not sure where it came from but it seemed to have stuck for years. Walter even said.. ask Al Horning he has lived in Rutland for a LONG time and he will confirm this was nickname.

Nothing was meant of this comment... not a big deal to most I am sure.

A bigger deal is the FACT that Sharon took campaign money from the FIRE DEPARTMENT. Shame on her.. that is a huge conflict of interest.... I wonder if she will be voting in favor of their pay raises when they are in front of council??

Good bye Sharon.. time for Walter Gray to lead this city into the future.

Not true- Sharon brought it up while on council as she had been approached by a number of citizens from Rutland requesting the name be changed (because of ignorant stereotypes at the time- including 'hooterville')- it didn't come 'from her'.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

George+ wrote:I have lived in the Kelowna area for 50 years.

I currently reside in Rutland.

I have NEVER heard of Rutland being called Hooterville?

Ask the historians. IF Walter meant a "shanty town" instead of a gender reference, it is even WORSE!

Both are tasteless and lack class.

That's what I was thinking, either way. Two thumbs down.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”