Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

RTH
Fledgling

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by RTH »

I attended the Mayoral Candidate Forum, at the Rotary Arts Centre. Once again Walter has nothing to say, except pounding his fist and repeating his political chanting. He dances around every question, with not a solid answer. He said he would "fix" transit in the first 120 days as Mayor. That has got to be the broadest term anyone can use, fix. Open for business, that's his repeat answer for everything, give me a break. Step away, you've had your turn.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

RTH wrote:I attended the Mayoral Candidate Forum, at the Rotary Arts Centre. Once again Walter has nothing to say, except pounding his fist and repeating his political chanting. He dances around every question, with not a solid answer. He said he would "fix" transit in the first 120 days as Mayor. That has got to be the broadest term anyone can use, fix. Open for business, that's his repeat answer for everything, give me a break. Step away, you've had your turn.

YES . . . this is what we have been saying for the last two weeks . . . Wally doesn't have anything to say or add, he's just ranting his "open for business" chant and never, never once offering a how or this is my plan. I'll fix transit in 120 days . . . BS man. How, what are you going to do? Answer the f'n question man. And on and on. So if Kelowna is fooled by this faux leader, we deserve our fate. Let's make sure it doesn't happen.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

You know what Mtn Biker, I don't know if you're Sharon's son, or just have some personal beef and this is your way to seek payback. But all you do, everywhere on this forum, is go around and find any excuse to bad mouth Walter Gray, both professionally and personally.

Your attitude and the attitudes of others like you, who seem unable to support a candidates in a respectful way, with any modicum of decency, is so damaging to your cause, you have no idea. So many people I know (many with no particular candidate favourite, one way or the other) have read through this forum and come away absolutely disgusted at the childish, unkind and disrespectful way some on here conduct themselves in their support of Sharon Shepherd. Which is actually quite ironic, but Sharon herself, from what I know, is a kind and classy lady, and certainly not consistent with the tone taken by her supporters on the forums.

I, like many others, support Walter Gray, but have great respect for Sharon Shepherd as well. I hear that quite frequently from Walter Gray supporters. But you, and supporters like you make Sharon Shepherd supporters look like a bunch of classless, lowlifes. I know you don't reflect well on her and your tone and continued smear campaign tactics do nothing but work against you.

We went through the very same thing in West Kelowna a few years back when we were embroiled in an election campaign and naming debate. Some, on one side of the discussion were passionate, determined and insistent but rarely, if ever personally unkind or attacking. The other side, one that I think had a shot at winning in the beginning, took your approach. In the end, they frustrated and disgusted so many people, they lost a lot of support and their campaign. The same will happen here, not that I'm unhappy about that part.

On the contrary, I hope you continue. In fact, I hope you push it too far and say things that either get you in trouble or you just say something so bad, people who read it will be too disgusted to ever vote and associate with Sharon for fear of being painted with the same brush.

So smear away. Say the WORST you can say. Let everybody see just how lacking in class, dignity and respect you guys can be.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Canadman ... you gotta admit, a lot of the Gray supporters have acted in the same childish manner, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

canadman wrote:You know what Mtn Biker, I don't know if you're Sharon's son, or just have some personal beef and this is your way to seek payback. But all you do, everywhere on this forum, is go around and find any excuse to bad mouth Walter Gray, both professionally and personally.

Your attitude and the attitudes of others like you, who seem unable to support a candidates in a respectful way, with any modicum of decency, is so damaging to your cause, you have no idea. So many people I know (many with no particular candidate favourite, one way or the other) have read through this forum and come away absolutely disgusted at the childish, unkind and disrespectful way some on here conduct themselves in their support of Sharon Shepherd. Which is actually quite ironic, but Sharon herself, from what I know, is a kind and classy lady, and certainly not consistent with the tone taken by her supporters on the forums.

I, like many others, support Walter Gray, but have great respect for Sharon Shepherd as well. I hear that quite frequently from Walter Gray supporters. But you, and supporters like you make Sharon Shepherd supporters look like a bunch of classless, lowlifes. I know you don't reflect well on her and your tone and continued smear campaign tactics do nothing but work against you.

We went through the very same thing in West Kelowna a few years back when we were embroiled in an election campaign and naming debate. Some, on one side of the discussion were passionate, determined and insistent but rarely, if ever personally unkind or attacking. The other side, one that I think had a shot at winning in the beginning, took your approach. In the end, they frustrated and disgusted so many people, they lost a lot of support and their campaign. The same will happen here, not that I'm unhappy about that part.

On the contrary, I hope you continue. In fact, I hope you push it too far and say things that either get you in trouble or you just say something so bad, people who read it will be too disgusted to ever vote and associate with Sharon for fear of being painted with the same brush.

So smear away. Say the WORST you can say. Let everybody see just how lacking in class, dignity and respect you guys can be.

Ok fair enough, it is obvious I don’t like the type of person Walter is. He judges people and he allows these judgements to affect his objectivity and capacity to represent all the citizens. Walter is a “certain type of person” person. As for what I say, I am just employing the Wally Camp tactic of making loud blanket statements based on personal understandings. And I haven’t said anything that can’t be substantiated if you want to go there. I continue to say, what I see when I watch Walter campaign, is someone who is *bleep* off he lost to a woman, is *bleep* off because his lousy track record from his previous tenure as mayor keeps coming up, he’s *bleep* off because he still has to answer that, and to me, none of that is a sign of a leader. To me, it's more like a spoiled child who wants his toys back. We would like to know why you feel he’s any different now than when he was mayor? We’d like to know that if he was to get in, will he be the same autocratic bully and use the same tactics he used to push policy through city hall years ago? The same tactics that got him sued twice, embarrassed the city, and lost him the mayor’s seat. I am asking, what is different about him now? I keep asking because he’s a master at avoiding the tough question. We just really don’t know what he is thinking or what he plans to do. Do we?
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

grammafreddy wrote:Canadman ... you gotta admit, a lot of the Gray supporters have acted in the same childish manner, too.

:rate10: I'd actually say a worse manner. I caught one posting under two different names to try to make it look as more people are supporting Basran and Gray. I wonder how many more are doing it.
Concerned_Business_Owner

Post by Concerned_Business_Owner »

I personally have never met Walter Gray. I hate to tell you I just think he has a lot of Support for leadership. Kelowna is fed up with a terrible Mayor and she must be voted out. It's a movement. We want leadership and a better Kelowna. I run a business and she has made that hard for me. By by Sharon pack your things.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Mtn Biker wrote:
canadman wrote:You know what Mtn Biker, I don't know if you're Sharon's son, or just have some personal beef and this is your way to seek payback. But all you do, everywhere on this forum, is go around and find any excuse to bad mouth Walter Gray, both professionally and personally.

Ok fair enough, it is obvious I don’t like the type of person Walter is. He judges people and he allows these judgements to affect his objectivity and capacity to represent all the citizens. Walter is a “certain type of person” person. As for what I say, I am just employing the Wally Camp tactic of making loud blanket statements based on personal understandings. And I haven’t said anything that can’t be substantiated if you want to go there. I continue to say, what I see when I watch Walter campaign, is someone who is *bleep* off he lost to a woman, is *bleep* off because his lousy track record from his previous tenure as mayor keeps coming up, he’s *bleep* off because he still has to answer that, and to me, none of that is a sign of a leader. To me, it's more like a spoiled child who wants his toys back. We would like to know why you feel he’s any different now than when he was mayor? We’d like to know that if he was to get in, will he be the same autocratic bully and use the same tactics he used to push policy through city hall years ago? The same tactics that got him sued twice, embarrassed the city, and lost him the mayor’s seat. I am asking, what is different about him now? I keep asking because he’s a master at avoiding the tough question. We just really don’t know what he is thinking or what he plans to do. Do we?

Like I said... Keep attacking him the way you are. Nothing pleases me more.

I've worked election campaigns and am a marketer, and I'll tell you this, the type of hard hitting, attack tactics, personal insults, and scathing remarks represented as fact but based on nothing more than your own opinion like the one above, "he's *bleep* off he lost to a woman" or the name calling (referring to him as "Wally") simply charges up the group that already feels the way you do, like preaching to the choir.

Elections are won by swaying the undecided, converting the voters who aren't 100% on board with any one candidate. Those people are never swayed by the extremists. Those people hear the extremists, realize they don't want to be seen as anything resembling what the extremists stand for, so they lean the other (safer) way. That's why they're not extremists in the first place.

By doing what you're doing, all those with their fists pumped in the air who agree with you are going 'right on bro!", but they were voting your way anyway. Maybe you like ego stroke of having others who feel like you do pat you on the back for speaking for them. That's terrific, and good for you. But if what you're trying to do is drum up support for a candidate you believe in, the people you want to convince aren't those who already feel as you do, it's those who haven't committed yet because they could go one way or the other. What you're doing doesn't get those votes, it turns them away.

So, like I say, please continue. The more you post, the more disrespectful and aggressive you are, the better it is for all of us who want to see Walter Gray elected Mayor.

And GrammaFreddy, just regarding your point, sorry I don't feel Walter Gray supporters, on the whole, have exhibited the same disrespect and engaged in the same personal attacks as Sharon Shepherd supporters.

I've seen a great many Walter Gray supporters on here adamantly state their enthusiasm for Walter Gray, and even suggest Sharon Shepherd is not an effective leader. That's neither disrespectful, nor personally attacking. That's debating professional political skills and approach. I generally haven't seen them drum up nasty nicknames for Sharon. I haven't seen them attack her or her family or make unkind remarks about her as a person, or attack her age or do any of those things.
Yet almost every other post on every other thread on here takes that approach against Walter Gray.

For example, I'll use you. You are the type of poster that, while I don't agree with you at all, you have been generally respectful and debated the issues and the professional merits of the candidates. You are obviously prolific in your posts and are trying to overwhelm the forum with your side of the issue, but that's fair game.

What Mtn Biker and others on here (MANY of them) who are Sharon Shepherd supporters are doing, is not engaging in fair, passionate debate about issues and candidates, it's using this forum as a vehicle to cast insults and try to discredit candidtaes both professionally and personally.

So, no I don't think, generally speaking, Walter Gray supporters have taken the same approach one here as Sharon Shepherd supporters. And like I said, I couldn't be happier.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

Concerned_Business_Owner wrote:I personally have never met Walter Gray. I hate to tell you I just think he has a lot of Support for leadership. Kelowna is fed up with a terrible Mayor and she must be voted out. It's a movement. We want leadership and a better Kelowna. I run a business and she has made that hard for me. By by Sharon pack your things.

You must be new to Kelowna if you don't remember why Shepherd is our Mayor. People were fed up with Gray and his pro development ways and wanted him gone hence why Shepherd got in.
thefacts

Post by thefacts »

Mtn Biker wrote:

Sharon has had 6 years and well... its time for Change!! We need a leader who knows how to manage people and get the job done. We need a leader that knows how to build a team and a leader who has a vision. And I agree... Mr. Mt Biker... your posts lack class... sure shows what kind of person you really are. I think I will go vote right now... Walter Gray for Mayor :-)
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Concerned_Business_Owner wrote:I personally have never met Walter Gray. I hate to tell you I just think he has a lot of Support for leadership. Kelowna is fed up with a terrible Mayor and she must be voted out. It's a movement. We want leadership and a better Kelowna. I run a business and she has made that hard for me. By by Sharon pack your things.

I personally say BS . . . I personally think you're all related or are all the same person. I also think your "man" is a poser and has been . . and is so *bleep* he couldn't beat a lady out for office it's left him hollow and void of direction in his life. Hey did you catch his "freudism" last night . . . he referred to Mayor as Male . . . you know, a male is better that a female slip. Whoops, I don't think even Wally knows what's coming from his mouth at times.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

thefacts wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:

Sharon has had 6 years and well... its time for Change!! We need a leader who knows how to manage people and get the job done. We need a leader that knows how to build a team and a leader who has a vision. And I agree... Mr. Mt Biker... your posts lack class... sure shows what kind of person you really are. I think I will go vote right now... Walter Gray for Mayor :-)

Of course you will, you're related aren't you? Come on, be honest . . . someone from that camp should be. At least once. Maybe just answer one question?
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

canadman wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:

Like I said... Keep attacking him the way you are. Nothing pleases me more.

I've worked election campaigns and am a marketer, and I'll tell you this, the type of hard hitting, attack tactics, personal insults, and scathing remarks represented as fact but based on nothing more than your own opinion like the one above, "he's *bleep* off he lost to a woman" or the name calling (referring to him as "Wally") simply charges up the group that already feels the way you do, like preaching to the choir.

Elections are won by swaying the undecided, converting the voters who aren't 100% on board with any one candidate. Those people are never swayed by the extremists. Those people hear the extremists, realize they don't want to be seen as anything resembling what the extremists stand for, so they lean the other (safer) way. That's why they're not extremists in the first place.

By doing what you're doing, all those with their fists pumped in the air who agree with you are going 'right on bro!", but they were voting your way anyway. Maybe you like ego stroke of having others who feel like you do pat you on the back for speaking for them. That's terrific, and good for you. But if what you're trying to do is drum up support for a candidate you believe in, the people you want to convince aren't those who already feel as you do, it's those who haven't committed yet because they could go one way or the other. What you're doing doesn't get those votes, it turns them away.

So, like I say, please continue. The more you post, the more disrespectful and aggressive you are, the better it is for all of us who want to see Walter Gray elected Mayor.

And GrammaFreddy, just regarding your point, sorry I don't feel Walter Gray supporters, on the whole, have exhibited the same disrespect and engaged in the same personal attacks as Sharon Shepherd supporters.

I've seen a great many Walter Gray supporters on here adamantly state their enthusiasm for Walter Gray, and even suggest Sharon Shepherd is not an effective leader. That's neither disrespectful, nor personally attacking. That's debating professional political skills and approach. I generally haven't seen them drum up nasty nicknames for Sharon. I haven't seen them attack her or her family or make unkind remarks about her as a person, or attack her age or do any of those things.
Yet almost every other post on every other thread on here takes that approach against Walter Gray.

For example, I'll use you. You are the type of poster that, while I don't agree with you at all, you have been generally respectful and debated the issues and the professional merits of the candidates. You are obviously prolific in your posts and are trying to overwhelm the forum with your side of the issue, but that's fair game.

What Mtn Biker and others on here (MANY of them) who are Sharon Shepherd supporters are doing, is not engaging in fair, passionate debate about issues and candidates, it's using this forum as a vehicle to cast insults and try to discredit candidtaes both professionally and personally.

So, no I don't think, generally speaking, Walter Gray supporters have taken the same approach one here as Sharon Shepherd supporters. And like I said, I couldn't be happier.

What you seem to be saying, in your long drawn out posts, is an opinion that is not like yours is an attack. Sure you right the Gray supporters are much better :127: Stay classy.
beachday

Post by beachday »

Mtn Biker wrote:

I personally say BS . . . I personally think you're all related or are all the same person. I also think your "man" is a poser and has been . . and is so *bleep* he couldn't beat a lady out for office it's left him hollow and void of direction in his life. Hey did you catch his "freudism" last night . . . he referred to Mayor as Male . . . you know, a male is better that a female slip. Whoops, I don't think even Wally knows what's coming from his mouth at times.

But apparently Sharon supporters have class :coffeecanuck:
Good luck in life with an attitude like that!
I will now head down and VOTE FOR WALTER GRAY! :sunshine:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Am listening to the rebroadcast of last night's forum.

Walter Gray said in the OCP for the downtown core the height restrictions were increased to 10 storeys. In fact, they were 20 storeys all over the downtown core. Any developer could have built a 20-storey building anywhere in the downtown core.

The new downtown plan, which arose from the charrette, protects the waterfront, which the CD21 exploited, and changes height restrictions from 20 storeys all over to new guidelines to step highrises back from the waterfront, from what exists as built now where heritage buildings are, to some lot zoning of up to 4-6 storeys, low and mid-rise, townhouse low-rise, up to 19 storeys and up to 26 storeys. It involves a far greater area than the old DEAD CD21 plan and it honours citizen concerns to protect the waterfront for all.

Building-Height.jpg

I think it is important that people realize that highrises require big footprints. The downtown core is broken up into small lots and there are a lot of small landowners in the downtown. In order to build highrises, these small landowners have to be bought out. If they won't sell to the big highrise developers, the high towers will not be built. They were not built during our boom times and they will not be built now when the developers are holding units they cannot sell and when developers have projects they have cancelled due to the lack of pre-sales to make them financially viable.

The image below shows the size of the footprints that were deemed to be part of the building of these towers they envisioned ... click to see it larger

CD21-high-rise2lg.jpg

Any election candidate who promises to bring development of increased density and high rises to the downtown core either is trying to hoodwink the electorate or is uneducated about the real problems of what is required in order to build these things. They will NOT be happening any time soon.

We need to rethink some of this and seek a shorter timeline solution to improve the downtown that helps the smaller landowners to improve their properties instead of trying to choke them out.

Mr Gray is stuck on high rise development downtown and the old CD21 and is misleading the public by inferring he will get them built. And that's just one reason I am not voting for him.
Last edited by grammafreddy on Nov 16th, 2011, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”