Only one place to vote in Penticton

Darkre
Board Meister

Only one place to vote in Penticton

Post by Darkre »

I think it is ridiculous that there is only one location, the Trade and Convention Centre, where people can vote in the general election on Saturday. What about the residents that don't or can't drive? Can we honestly expect someone living in south Penticton to take multiple busses just so they can vote, then wait an hour for another bus to take them back home? If they want greater participation in municipal elections it needs to be far more convenient for people to vote.
mountain sky
Fledgling

Re: Only one place to vote in Penticton

Post by mountain sky »

I agree, but rides are avliable from the various candidates. I know Julius has arranged volunteers. Call the office.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

I personnally don't need a ride. I just think that in this day and age there should be ample opportunity for everyone to vote, not just those with the ability to easily access a location.

Summerland has 2 polling stations and Penticton has 1. How is that even possible?
brentan
Fledgling

Post by brentan »

Although I do agree that there should be more than one polling station, there have already been two days from 8 to 8 for advance polling. Im suggesting the people that really want to vote - will find a way!
as for the statement
If they want greater participation in municipal elections it needs to be far more convenient for people to vote not sure this is really fair, as there are lots of ways to get out and vote, EVEN if you dont drive!
Even if there were more than one polling stations, you still have to get there and Penticton isnt spread out so far that the convention center is a hard place to attend!
I ve already voted and hoping things will come out in a positive new direction this time around
Just my2Cents on this one!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I sort of agree that a few spread out polling stations might make it simpler and easier for people to vote but I wonder about the logistical problems with verifying a person has voted at one poll and doesn't go to another one to vote again? Cross referencing all lists after polls close to check for double votes would be a nightmare and delay results for lord knows how long never mind increasing the chance of errors. Does anyone know how Summerland handles this or do they say surnames A thru M go to this station........which doesn't really make voting more accessible.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

brentan wrote:Although I do agree that there should be more than one polling station, there have already been two days from 8 to 8 for advance polling. Im suggesting the people that really want to vote - will find a way!
as for the statement
If they want greater participation in municipal elections it needs to be far more convenient for people to vote not sure this is really fair, as there are lots of ways to get out and vote, EVEN if you dont drive!
Even if there were more than one polling stations, you still have to get there and Penticton isnt spread out so far that the convention center is a hard place to attend!
I ve already voted and hoping things will come out in a positive new direction this time around
Just my2Cents on this one!

The 2 days of advance polls were held at city hall, again not exactly a handy location for residents of south Penticton without access to a vehicle. Those that don't drive are forced to commit 2 hours to go vote or call around to try to find a ride. Only the most dedicated are going to get out an vote in this case.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

twobits wrote:I sort of agree that a few spread out polling stations might make it simpler and easier for people to vote but I wonder about the logistical problems with verifying a person has voted at one poll and doesn't go to another one to vote again? Cross referencing all lists after polls close to check for double votes would be a nightmare and delay results for lord knows how long never mind increasing the chance of errors. Does anyone know how Summerland handles this or do they say surnames A thru M go to this station........which doesn't really make voting more accessible.

Kelowna has 10 polling stations but I don't know how they control who votes where.
mountain sky
Fledgling

Post by mountain sky »

Most larger municipalities have designated polling stations in your neighborhood (within walking distance. I was quite surprised to find out that penticton had only one polling station. I would have expected at least three. AS to process, You're on the voting list at the neighborhood church or school and you can only vote there. A card is sent around to your mailbox telling you where you vote and ads are in paper as well as on the City website. This is a very standard process.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mountain sky wrote:Most larger municipalities have designated polling stations in your neighborhood (within walking distance. I was quite surprised to find out that penticton had only one polling station. I would have expected at least three. AS to process, You're on the voting list at the neighborhood church or school and you can only vote there. A card is sent around to your mailbox telling you where you vote and ads are in paper as well as on the City website. This is a very standard process.

For provincial or federal yes, but I haven't seen it on the municipal level??? Not sure.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
mountain sky
Fledgling

Post by mountain sky »

From my experience in Canada and in politics, it is used in many municipalites, depends upon population, municipally, provincially and federally. Not a new concept. You don't have to reinvente the wheel. The beauty of being a smaller growing population is there is tons of municipalities that have tried and failed/succeded before you. Look outside the valley and take the best.

Not only in elections, there are a lot of wheels you can buy, management wheels, tax structure wheels, economic development wheels, parks and rec wheels. Just review before you do and pick the wheel with the best fit.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

FYI - this was on twitter earlier today.

@cityofpenticton:Need a ride 2 vote? Shuttle Service from Seniors Drop-in 2 PTCC. Leaves every hour starting at 8am.

Translation: If you need a ride from the south end of town, head to the Senior's Centre.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”