School Trustee Election

richardjamesknight

School Trustee Election

Post by richardjamesknight »

My suspicions are confirmed. The media is trying to keep the School Trustee election a secret! Well, the secret is out.

We had our one and only forum Monday night at Hollywood Road Educational Services in front of a rousing and raucous crowd of about 900 people. (That sentence was just to get your attention.) Actually there were about 90 intelligent, well-behaved people, including 13 candidates who spoke.

Many common issues like underfunding, literacy and graduation rates, and transportation concerns were brought up. But interestingly, many of the candidates mentioned the general and despicable lack of coverage in the media about the School Trustee election, including me.

I fully understand the need for any media outlet to sell their wares. And I’m sure they do a pretty good job of reading the public as to what they want to read about. So I don’t really blame the media that much. However, I think they could help even more with the understanding that Education (capital “E”) really is important in our society.

A plank in many of the City Council candidates’ platforms has been to address homelessness. I’m sure it has occurred to most people that probably all, or at least a vast majority, of our homeless and street people went to school! We, in Education, are addressing homelessness and poverty right now in our schools, everyday! We are raising our graduation rates. We are raising the graduation rates of Aboriginals. We are, in fact, doing everything we can to keep as many people as possible away from homelessness and poverty. This is happening as you read this, right now.

Here are few interesting facts: School District 23’s operating budget is around $180 to $190 Million per year. The City of Kelowna’s operating budget is around $96 Million. SD 23 employs about 3 times as many people as does the City of Kelowna. School District 23 is the second largest employer in Okanagan Valley, second only to Interior Health.

With the above in mind, I beseech our public to give Education a very sober second look. We are important. Our only real drawback is that our goals are long-term and the results not quite as tangible as bricks and mortar projects.

Please go to http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page3557.aspx or just Google “City of Kelowna” and find your way to the Trustee page. Please take a few moments and read through all of the candidates and give them all a fair shake. Remember, Education really is the cornerstone of our society.

Richard Knight

Running for School Trustee
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: School Trustee Election

Post by George+ »

Well stated, Richard.

The public missed a good forum.

Still can't decide trustees?-maybe talk to a councilor?
Trustee Moyra Baxter

Post by Trustee Moyra Baxter »

I attended the forum on Monday, in Kelowna, and agree wholeheartedly with the comments about the lack of interst in the School Trustee elections.
Over the years I have heard people say that they don't bother to vote for school trustee as their children aren't in school any more. My response it that Education is Everyone's Business. We have elected School Trustees so that the community has a voice in the education of our children.

The Statement of Education Policy Order, from the School Act Regulations and Orders in Council, states:
School Boards have a responsiblilty "to set education policies that reflect the aspirations of the community and are consistent with overall provincial guidelines" and are accountable "to parents, taxpayers, the community and the province"

Our Westside forum was held last night at Mt Boucherie Senior Secondary School. About 30 peole attended. While appreciating those who did turn up, there was shown, once again, a lack of interest in school board elections.

Education is Everyone's Business

Moyra Baxter
Running again for School Trustee
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

I think no one cares about trustee election because for the most part money decisions are made by the province. trustees just "oversee" the expenditures and take the flack for the province when school closures. busing issues, and the like occur each year.

trustees and candidates for school board should be using the social media and forums like this to get their message across to the general public and to stir up the interest. afterall, if you dont do it, you get this, apathy.

btw, i voted, knight, gorman, and volk.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

how many of these trustee candidates are pro-union? Or NDP supporters? If someone would kindly point them out, I'd know who not to vote for. Thanks.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:how many of these trustee candidates are pro-union? Or NDP supporters? If someone would kindly point them out, I'd know who not to vote for. Thanks.

Here's what I consider to be a pro-union post from one of the candidates:

Reg Volk says:
November 8, 2009 at 8:47 pm
UN:F [1.8.6_1065]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)Anyone who criticizes here should have to live with a paramedic for say 6 months and go with them to every incident. Including crawling into vehicles to try to keep people alive in impossible situations.

Then also get paid the few bucks when they are on call.

See if you could live on that?

The government has been absolutely STUPID in choosing legislation when binding arbitration is available. Is the govt. afraid of a fair settlement?

I predict a major shortage of paramedics for the Olympics. But then who would want to work for peanuts?

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/11/07/it-ju ... aramedics/

And this from Carole James' Facebook:

Carole James's Notes | Facebook
Reg Volk, Marianne Alto, Harry Bains and 15 others like this
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

what, you seem to have changed your tune, dickie

yesterday you said

RichardWede wrote: What are you going to do if Reg Volk gets elected? Even a lefty like you has to be frightened of that possibility.

now you have changed your mind? :dyinglaughing:
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Logitack wrote:what, you seem to have changed your tune, dickie

yesterday you said

RichardWede wrote: What are you going to do if Reg Volk gets elected? Even a lefty like you has to be frightened of that possibility.

now you have changed your mind? :dyinglaughing:

Not at all! That post spoke to my perception of his abilities to make even someone as left wing as you cringe! Kinda like Dixhead is scaring some of the moderates in his own party by being a neo-Marxist.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
schoolmom

Post by schoolmom »

I read Larry Gray's webpage and he has the President of the School district local CUPE as a supporter.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How do these SB candidates fund their campaigns?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Paid attention to who is running, voted accordingly. No matter who you are and believe should be on the Board, I hope you do the same. Note that they not only are responsible for the funding provided, but can also shed light on the provincial underfunding of education.
itsjustme

Post by itsjustme »

schoolmom wrote:I read Larry Gray's webpage and he has the President of the School district local CUPE as a supporter.

I would love to hear from Mr. Gray about why he would run for a position that is intended to support public education when his own son attends private school.
Churchhawk

Post by Churchhawk »

itsjustme wrote:
schoolmom wrote:I read Larry Gray's webpage and he has the President of the School district local CUPE as a supporter.

I would love to hear from Mr. Gray about why he would run for a position that is intended to support public education when his own son attends private school.

Now this is weird. Mr Gray has a kid in private school, and yet the union representing CUPE in SD23 is endorsing him.
What about him wanting to have corporations' names being used on schools if they give enough money? maybe his kid will go to the Pepsi High School because he likes the name.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am considering abstaining from the selection of School Trustee.

I still feel that voting is important. I have spent much time in researching candidates for council and mayoral positions. As a citizen of this city I feel I have an obligation to choose the best suited to the roles.

However, my husband and I made a decision long ago that public school would not be for our children. It has worked out very well for us (despite causing some financial hardship). Do citizens have a responsibility to vote on School Trustee if they have no children in the system? What about childless couples or people whose children are beyond school age?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

richardjamesknight wrote:My suspicions are confirmed. The media is trying to keep the School Trustee election a secret! Well, the secret is out.

We had our one and only forum Monday night at Hollywood Road Educational Services in front of a rousing and raucous crowd of about 900 people. (That sentence was just to get your attention.) Actually there were about 90 intelligent, well-behaved people, including 13 candidates who spoke.

Many common issues like underfunding, literacy and graduation rates, and transportation concerns were brought up. But interestingly, many of the candidates mentioned the general and despicable lack of coverage in the media about the School Trustee election, including me.

I fully understand the need for any media outlet to sell their wares. And I’m sure they do a pretty good job of reading the public as to what they want to read about. So I don’t really blame the media that much. However, I think they could help even more with the understanding that Education (capital “E”) really is important in our society.

A plank in many of the City Council candidates’ platforms has been to address homelessness. I’m sure it has occurred to most people that probably all, or at least a vast majority, of our homeless and street people went to school! We, in Education, are addressing homelessness and poverty right now in our schools, everyday! We are raising our graduation rates. We are raising the graduation rates of Aboriginals. We are, in fact, doing everything we can to keep as many people as possible away from homelessness and poverty. This is happening as you read this, right now.

Here are few interesting facts: School District 23’s operating budget is around $180 to $190 Million per year. The City of Kelowna’s operating budget is around $96 Million. SD 23 employs about 3 times as many people as does the City of Kelowna. School District 23 is the second largest employer in Okanagan Valley, second only to Interior Health.

With the above in mind, I beseech our public to give Education a very sober second look. We are important. Our only real drawback is that our goals are long-term and the results not quite as tangible as bricks and mortar projects.

Please go to http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page3557.aspx or just Google “City of Kelowna” and find your way to the Trustee page. Please take a few moments and read through all of the candidates and give them all a fair shake. Remember, Education really is the cornerstone of our society.

Richard Knight

Running for School Trustee

Hi Richard,

I've also been wondering why more effort hasn't been made to inform people about the school trustees. I absolutely agree with you 110% about education. I think we can all agree that it's important to our future as a community and society. Better educated people are less likely to fall victim to social issues. Granted some people have problems for many reasons but i believe a good education will help those help themselves better. Thus being less of a burden on society.

I would have loved being at your forum. Unfortunately, it was on at the same time as our all candidate forum.

As a parent and voter, I've been unsure who to vote for and i wish i had have been able to talk to each candidate one on one. I find this the best way to get a feeling for people. Forums are a nerve wracking experience (for the candidate) and not always the best way to judge someone. Up close and personal is the best i think.

Are you out and about anywhere today, I'd love to talk to you..i haven't voted yet :-)

Dayleen Van Ryswyk
For Kelowna City Council
http://www.dayleenvanryswyk.com

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”