Brakes on Spending

ATS

Brakes on Spending

Post by ATS »

Interesting Editorial in todays Daily Courier by John Manchester, it states that population growth from 2000 to 2009 in Kelowna was 22% while spending increased 76%. As well the CFIB report he quoted said that most of the increase in spending took place in the later years.
I have been reading these forums and not one person that I recall has even touched on this issue. This should be one of the main issues in this election season.

My question to both Gray and Shepard camps is what are you going to do about this as well as to all the want to be councillors and incumbents?

I want real action items here not just sound bites and do not use buzz words like "Sustainability".

Please note I am not taking any sides I want real answers on this one.
pmcfadden

Re: Brakes on Spending

Post by pmcfadden »

You need people on council that really understand financial statements and the budgetary process. In addition to that they have to be willing to make the tough desisions that will put a hold on spending. This includes analysis of every budget line. There also has to be an attitude that we cannot keep asking our citizens for more money. The outcome may not be popular but that is what is needed in these tough economic times.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

Great point ATS.. City Hall already has the best accountants on staff that advise council and the city manager. So why are we spending beyond our means? As a business owner myself, i understand what over spending can do to a business. I know some people don't want their city run like a business but it really needs to be. It is singly the biggest business in Kelowna! You the tax payer are the shareholder and you rightly expect a good return on your investment!

I believe we need business minds on council to be able to see the bigger picture. When i say business minds i don't mean those that are in it for "big" business or helping their friends. We need a balanced council that has the common sense to get our city moving forward.

I'm an entrepreneur and business owner, I have International business experience, I handle and advise on million of dollars in revenue, I have the commitment and drive that is needed to make the hard decisions and I owe no favours to anyone!

Dayleen Van Ryswyk
For Kelowna City Council
http://www.dayleenvanryswyk.com
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

I sent Sharon an email over two weeks ago asking how according to the Kelowna 2010 Annual report the long term debt per citizen went from approximately $700 to over $1300 since 2006. Surprisingly I did not get an answer. With all the other issues in this election the discussion of city finances definitely took a back seat.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
ATS

Post by ATS »

I find it very interesting how a real issue that affects each and every voter in Kelowna is brought up but so far only three responses?

Come on current council members step up to the plate and give me some explanation?
Come on arm chair quarterbacks fighting over proclamations and $500 donation from firefighters, lets hear what you have to say.

Here is a real issue.....
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

ATS wrote:I find it very interesting how a real issue that affects each and every voter in Kelowna is brought up but so far only three responses?

Just so you know ... not all candidates visit these forums here. The ones that don't wouldn't know you'd asked the question here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
ATS

Post by ATS »

I do know that not all candidates visit these forums but I have also read enough that there are quite a few on here as well as their supporters. That is why I have asked the people who have been in the P%&^ing contests to also step up?
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Overspending is only an issue for both businesses and governments when it happens over the long term. We have had exponential population increases in certain areas of our city (Upper Mission and Glenmore) that have led to necessary infrastructure improvements. Add matched funding from the Federal Government for some projects, and it only makes sense to overspend in a fiscal period to gain the benefit of getting improvements for 2/3rds the cost.

And it's not always about the money. Households, businesses, and all levels of governments strive to operate in the black, but staying in the black isn't always in the greater good. At home, I opted to take parental leave even though it put a huge dent in our finances, but bonding with my new twins was worth it. Businesses incur losses during times of growth and expansion for the promise of greater strategic position (to secure profit). Governments make spending decisions based on needs, not numbers, and I am glad they can do so.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”