I voted! Did you?

marooned
Board Meister

I voted! Did you?

Post by marooned »

I was happy to take advantage of the advance polling, and look forward to all of the candidates on my wish-list getting voted in on Saturday! :127:

The question is, did you vote, and why did you vote for who you voted for?

My answers: Yes! And....

I voted for a leadership style that emphasises collaboration, and I believe that the candidate I voted for brings this to the table. I also think that you can't "Move Kelowna Forward" by reaching back into the past. I guess that sufficiently outlines who I didn't vote for, and possibly who I did vote for. I enjoyed Cal Condy's presence in the race, but he never was a serious candidate in my opinion.

In terms of Council, I voted for a balance of viewpoints, so I voted across the spectrum: business-friendly, green, alternate transportation, a vision for the downtown, experience, etc. etc.. My voting was based on the notion that a city's primary responsibility is to its residents. I also managed to select 4 male and 4 female council candidates while factoring in a need for a balanced council. I tended to vote for candidates who were providing a vision for the city along with strategies to support that vision, rather than strategies to tackle problems alone. Strategy without vision tends to lead to band-aid solutions, which we witnessed in great numbers through the 80's and 90's.

The school trustee elections were tough, but I read every candidate's message on the city site (or visited their website) to get a sense of who they are. I believe school boards are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and I tended to support those trustee candidates who noted underfunding as a real concern, and weren't shy about laying blame at the feet of the BC Gov't.

That's it! Hope you all get a chance to get out and vote! You can complain on the forums all you'd like, but you can't initiate change without being heard at the ballot box.

*Meow*
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: I voted! Did you?

Post by Logitack »

good points....

if you dont vote, dont *bleep*, end of story!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I will vote tomorrow.

I am considering abstaining from the school trustee selection as my children are not in public school. I have had my plate full with researching all the other candidates for council and mayoral positions, it just seemed like to much work to add that as well. :s If I can't make an informed choice, I'd rather not make a choice at all.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

I voted yesterday.

I pretty much knew who I was voting for (with the exception of two) before all the forum discussion, which I found very useful.

Incumbents have a track record, so you know what they stand for, you know what you're getting.

Candidates on the other hand, always over promise and for the most part, under deliver once elected. So it is harder to discern who's more believable or capable.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

With the weather today and the forecast for tomorrow, I am glad I voted yesterday.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'll be voting tomorrow and driving some seniors to the polls as well.

Wishing we had voted earlier as I don't like coming down off my mountain with the roads the way they are.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'll probably vote tomorrow since I'm going to the Y anyways.

Don't know how to vote for school trustees, I'll just probably pick candidates with the funniest last names.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
chrismonroe

Post by chrismonroe »

Yes i did, had a hard time with the mayor one..actually felt sick to my stomach deciding. Sounds pretty bad doesn't it? Voted for Charlie Hodge and Dayleen Van Ryswyk. That's it, don't trust anyone else to tell the truth and stand up against corruption.

Might have voted for Luke Stack but not with 4greed backing him..sorry Luke, should have turned them down. Don't want anyone in there owing a favour! To heck with the 8 they are pushing!
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'll probably vote tomorrow since I'm going to the Y anyways.

Don't know how to vote for school trustees, I'll just probably pick candidates with the funniest last names.

I know this is off topic but here is the role of the School Trustees, also from what I read they have a budget in this area almost twice the City budget (tax dollars). And so many times the council candidates said education is the key to reducing homeless, crime, etc..

Trustees engage their communities in building and maintaining a school system that reflects local priorities, values and expectations. School trustees listen to their communities; guide the work of their school district; and set plans, policies and the annual budget. Reflecting the strength of local representation, boards report back to their communities on how students are doing: boards are directly accountable to the people they serve.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
commonsense65

Post by commonsense65 »

I did and feel very good about it as I took the time to research not read the garbage in here!

Shepherd
Rule
Hodge
Singh
Stack
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

I sure hope this isn't the slate that gets in.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
chloeskates

Post by chloeskates »

commonsense65 wrote:I did and feel very good about it as I took the time to research not read the garbage in here!

Shepherd
Rule
Hodge
Singh
Stack

I think these are all great candidates- heavily active in the social service sector; honest with integrity; open door policies and easily accessible... (although with Singh being new, I'm not sure I can include her as I only feel comfortable doing so with what I know about the incumbants). These truly are 'for the people' candidates- and from what I know of them, make very informed decisions- no matter what the proposal, nor what the issue. I would be very proud to have all of these people on a council here. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of other candidates I could say the same about.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bobby Kennedy is my number one choice for councillor.

http://www.bobbykennedy.ca/

I am supporting Bobby because I like his family and community values and his history of working directly with the youth in this town. He's also a business owner. I like how he views the city as his extended family, admits he's not perfect but knows governing the city is a team effort, which is a lot more than some candidates think. I find him openly honest and positively refreshing.

His message is positive ...
Luckily no problem is without a solution. Finding a solution is up to us and together we can work on it.

If we combine hard work, rational thinking and strong family values I believe we can conquer any situations that may arise in order to ensure Kelowna continues to be a city for all to love and call home.

With some experience under his belt, I can see him as Mayor-material in the future.

I will only be voting for a few councillors - not the full eight. Voting for more than your primary choices splits votes and can actually work against your preferred candidates.

I am still looking at Van Ryswyk and Graham and going through their Twitter messages now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

wow, gram, yer on twitter....congrats!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Logitack wrote:wow, gram, yer on twitter....congrats!

Doesn't mean I can figure all this twittering stuff out, though. But I can read what people have said and connected to .... wow! Some folks need to get a life, eh??? :200: Seriously, do we all need to know when someone goes potty??? TMIO

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”