ORC Supports Mayor Sharon Shepherd

Evan
Board Meister

ORC Supports Mayor Sharon Shepherd

Post by Evan »

The Okanagan Rainbow Coalition has sent out a letter of support for Shepherd as Mayor.

http://gayokanagan.com/storage/ShepherdSupportLetter.pdf

Sharon Shepherd’s Campaign Office
Letter to Editors of Kelowna Daily Courier; Capital News; Castanet
Re: Support of Mayor Sharon Shepherd
It is with great pleasure that the Okanagan Rainbow Coalition offers its strong support to the re-election
campaign of Mayor Shepherd. Ms. Shepherd leadership has included commendable support of the LGBT
Community and inclusive championing of other advocacy groups.
Upon election Sharon took a strong stance with the simple act of in reinstating Proclamations - commonplace in
most municipalities – but in contrast to her predecessor Walter Gray, who did not provide for such an
encompassing city.
It is worth reminding the citizens of Kelowna of Mr. Gray’s highly discriminatory action in 1997, when he
removed the word “Pride” from a “Lesbian and Gay Pride” proclamation request. Subsequently a complaint was
brought against Walter Gray and the City through the Human Rights Tribunal. After spending $40,000 of
taxpayer dollars to defend the Mayor - and his personal opinions of homosexuality - the tribunal found he and
the City had discriminated against the LGBT Community.
In Walter’s own statements during the tribunal he said “he did not dislike or object to homosexuals and wanted
to help the gay and lesbian community, but he did not approve of homosexual behavior and did not want to
appear to be supporting such a lifestyle”. The LGBT community then, and now, questions how Walter Gray
would help and support the community while not being accepting of our “lifestyle”.
The decision from Carol Roberts, Tribunal Member, states “The Mayor of Kelowna and the City of Kelowna have
contravened section 8 of the Code by treating the Complainant’s request for a proclamation differently from
other requests, in whole or in part, on the basis of sexual orientation”. This behavior from an elected official is
unacceptable. This thinking not only applies to the LGBT community, but for other members of Kelowna’s
vibrant, changing and increasingly diverse community that he may not “believe” in or “approve of.”
With the recent sharp increase in teen suicides attributed to bullying about sexual orientation, it is not time to
allow into office those with dated and questionable personal opinions. Public office needs to be held by those
who advocate for all including business, marginalized groups and service providers. Sharon Shepherd has
demonstrated this balance, and leads without personal opinions and regressive behaviors.
On November 19, we encourage all voters to not take a step backward, but rather continue moving our great
city forward. Re-elect Sharon Shepherd.
The Board of Directors
Okanagan Rainbow Coalition

http://gayokanagan.com/home/2011/11/7/p ... re-el.html
To be inspired.
chloeskates

Re: ORC Supports Mayor Sharon Shepherd

Post by chloeskates »

Evan wrote:The Okanagan Rainbow Coalition has sent out a letter of support for Shepherd as Mayor.

http://gayokanagan.com/storage/ShepherdSupportLetter.pdf

Sharon Shepherd’s Campaign Office
Letter to Editors of Kelowna Daily Courier; Capital News; Castanet
Re: Support of Mayor Sharon Shepherd
It is with great pleasure that the Okanagan Rainbow Coalition offers its strong support to the re-election
campaign of Mayor Shepherd. Ms. Shepherd leadership has included commendable support of the LGBT
Community and inclusive championing of other advocacy groups.
Upon election Sharon took a strong stance with the simple act of in reinstating Proclamations - commonplace in
most municipalities – but in contrast to her predecessor Walter Gray, who did not provide for such an
encompassing city.
It is worth reminding the citizens of Kelowna of Mr. Gray’s highly discriminatory action in 1997, when he
removed the word “Pride” from a “Lesbian and Gay Pride” proclamation request. Subsequently a complaint was
brought against Walter Gray and the City through the Human Rights Tribunal. After spending $40,000 of
taxpayer dollars to defend the Mayor - and his personal opinions of homosexuality - the tribunal found he and
the City had discriminated against the LGBT Community.
In Walter’s own statements during the tribunal he said “he did not dislike or object to homosexuals and wanted
to help the gay and lesbian community, but he did not approve of homosexual behavior and did not want to
appear to be supporting such a lifestyle”. The LGBT community then, and now, questions how Walter Gray
would help and support the community while not being accepting of our “lifestyle”.
The decision from Carol Roberts, Tribunal Member, states “The Mayor of Kelowna and the City of Kelowna have
contravened section 8 of the Code by treating the Complainant’s request for a proclamation differently from
other requests, in whole or in part, on the basis of sexual orientation”. This behavior from an elected official is
unacceptable. This thinking not only applies to the LGBT community, but for other members of Kelowna’s
vibrant, changing and increasingly diverse community that he may not “believe” in or “approve of.”
With the recent sharp increase in teen suicides attributed to bullying about sexual orientation, it is not time to
allow into office those with dated and questionable personal opinions. Public office needs to be held by those
who advocate for all including business, marginalized groups and service providers. Sharon Shepherd has
demonstrated this balance, and leads without personal opinions and regressive behaviors.
On November 19, we encourage all voters to not take a step backward, but rather continue moving our great
city forward. Re-elect Sharon Shepherd.
The Board of Directors
Okanagan Rainbow Coalition

http://gayokanagan.com/home/2011/11/7/p ... re-el.html

I think this is a very important post. For everyone who thinks the 'gay pride' thing should not still be an issue I have to strongly disagree- particulary in Kelowna where so many of my friends will not even return here because of how they have been treated in the past. I also have concern for the disenfranchised in Kelowna as Walter has told social service providers in the past he did not believe the 'social ills' of the community were the city's concern. Unfortunately Kelowna has been well-known for being elitist and clique and I'm really hoping we can truly progress past this image to a place where everyone feels welcomed, accepted, and safe. Development and business is one facet of community, not the entire picture. And today there are a number of development projects already approved but sitting idle because the developers have been unable to pre-sell enough units to start building- we're in a global recession, this is not going to change with a different mayor and council.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

What's the point of a last minute endorsement when a lot of people have already voted?? Well, I guess later better than never.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

this is about a week too late, but on the other hand, it is preaching to the converted anyway.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

*SPAM REMOVED/Jo*
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Mr Gray did not "change his mind on the proclamation issue". He fobbed off a decisive, definitive answer, though. He said he would consult with his council and then make HIS decision after that. That's no answer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
econovan64
Übergod

Post by econovan64 »

Walter Gray is an old fart. If he is elected then people who voted for him deserve what they get,,, an old fart.
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

grammafreddy wrote:Mr Gray did not "change his mind on the proclamation issue". He fobbed off a decisive, definitive answer, though. He said he would consult with his council and then make HIS decision after that. That's no answer.

If i state a position, listen to feedback on it, reconsider that position and then state another position, that means I have change my mind. So you're wrong.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”