Choice for Mayor

Who would you like to see elected Mayor of DWK?

Doug Findlater
40%
Rosalind Neis
60%

Total votes: 70

waterskirick

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by waterskirick »

I support Neis. She listens and speaks clearly. Findlater misleads. He says we have $20 million in reserves and lets us assume that means savings. It's not the same thing. The money in reserve has already been allocated to projects. Like when we waited a year for the ladder truck. The money sat in reserve until we took delivery. We really should have savings but he wanted to keep taxes low. It looks good.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Can anyone besides me picture Findlater looking into the mirror, or leafing through his scrap-book - he must be keeping one - and saying, "Look what I (yes, "I") have done as mayor". And this is the sum and substance of his campaign. Don't even mention those who have, one would suspect, attempted to make him look good. No kudos for them. He grabs them all.
The picture portrayed by Neis is startlingly different as she ( not some ghost-writer) penned her committments, all five of which looked to the future and not her record, simply stating her objectives should she be elected. By these up-front and boldly stated statements, should she achieve her mayoral ambition, she can readily be lauded for successes or she can be lambasted for her failures. I for one like her "LISTEN-LEARN-LEAD". it's all there for us to judge her by, again in contrast to the motherhood statements made by Findlater that are all teflon-coated for him to slide off should things not go well.
The choice for mayor should be simplified for many who were in the position to judge the effectiveness of both contenders at the all candidates meetings, when one could see who had the ability to think and speak with or without crib sheets. ( And as a side-bar, one can consider one of Findlater's supporters who shared the platform and chose to ignore his assigned question
(was he gob-smacked?), but felt the need to "preach something" else - a very revealing situation).
I see we have two choices - one where we put up with another term of mediocrity, where self-agrandising photos of the mayor appear everywhere ad finitum, or one where we can look forward to some brilliance reflecting a capability for a higher quality of governance in the municipal field.
With Neis in the chair and Gord Milsom as our financial guide we could have a shot at a successful term.
Despite who is elected there is a minefield ahead of us and the mine-detector needs to be in better hands.
RosieJoe

Post by RosieJoe »

Simple choice....Rosalind. Fresh start. She'll need a new council to work with to be efficient. Although Duane seems to have the right idea, as does Bryden, but the rest....who can trust them?
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

inquisitive wrote:Can anyone besides me picture Findlater looking into the mirror, or leafing through his scrap-book - he must be keeping one - and saying, "Look what I (yes, "I") have done as mayor". And this is the sum and substance of his campaign. Don't even mention those who have, one would suspect, attempted to make him look good. No kudos for them. He grabs them all.
The picture portrayed by Neis is startlingly different as she ( not some ghost-writer) penned her committments, all five of which looked to the future and not her record, simply stating her objectives should she be elected. By these up-front and boldly stated statements, should she achieve her mayoral ambition, she can readily be lauded for successes or she can be lambasted for her failures. I for one like her "LISTEN-LEARN-LEAD". it's all there for us to judge her by, again in contrast to the motherhood statements made by Findlater that are all teflon-coated for him to slide off should things not go well.
The choice for mayor should be simplified for many who were in the position to judge the effectiveness of both contenders at the all candidates meetings, when one could see who had the ability to think and speak with or without crib sheets. ( And as a side-bar, one can consider one of Findlater's supporters who shared the platform and chose to ignore his assigned question
(was he gob-smacked?), but felt the need to "preach something" else - a very revealing situation).
I see we have two choices - one where we put up with another term of mediocrity, where self-agrandising photos of the mayor appear everywhere ad finitum, or one where we can look forward to some brilliance reflecting a capability for a higher quality of governance in the municipal field.
With Neis in the chair and Gord Milsom as our financial guide we could have a shot at a successful term.
Despite who is elected there is a minefield ahead of us and the mine-detector needs to be in better hands.

Kudos to you inquisitive for a very good and accurate summation.

RosieJoe wrote:Simple choice....Rosalind. Fresh start. She'll need a new council to work with to be efficient. Although Duane seems to have the right idea, as does Bryden, but the rest....who can trust them?

You are very right about Rosalind Neis being the choice that is needed going forward... but I am surprised at your other picks.

Duane Ophus and Bryden Winsby are Findlater followers.... Would Ophus and Winsby work with Neis?

Ophus: I think with Ophus' thinking abilities he would be more comfortable with Findlater as his leader. Dorothy Brotherton did a very good piece on Duane Ophus, quoting Ophus as becoming a “critical thinker” as a result of being a student of holocaust denier James Keegstra, a school teacher and the mayor of the small town of Eckville, Alberta. (After years of teaching anti-Semitism as truth, Keegstra was removed from his post in 1984, prosecuted, and convicted).

Winsby: I think Winsby is following Findlater's lead so that he can run for Mayor again when Findlater "retires", and then Winsby hopes to pick up Findlater's herd of sheep to follow him. I voted for Winsby before but his flip flopping in unison with Findlater is troubling to me. Neis is younger then Findlater, the old FSNA pensioner. So Winsby might see the younger Neis, who beat him out when he ran for mayor before, as an obstacle to his own ambitions.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

:ohmygod:
Last edited by Bestside on Nov 19th, 2011, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Bestside wrote:My final selections, I need to find Urbanes polling location so I can cancel his votes... in the ballot box...

Now this should give you cause for concern . . . we voted the same for School Trustee and I voted for three of your Council candidates (I only voted for five). What have you done!?

ETA: I must congratulate you on making SOME good choices!
Last edited by Urbane on Nov 19th, 2011, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Two voters for Rosalind in our household.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I don't even live over there and I voted for Neis in the poll in this thread.

Is the turn out heavy on the West side?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Not heavy where we voted about 1.5 hours ago.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Urbane wrote:
    Bestside wrote:My final selections, I need to find Urbanes polling location so I can cancel his votes... in the ballot box...

Now this should give you cause for concern . . . we voted the same for School Trustee and I voted for three of your Council candidates (I only voted for five). What have you done!?

ETA: I must congratulate you on making SOME good choices!

Well, I know you are smart enough to not vote for Ophus, and I cancelled your vote for mayor... so all is good!
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

yep......all is good....I watched Bestside come out of the polling station as I entered it .....so I cancelled his vote.
Libtech

Post by Libtech »

To bad less than 6,000 :skyisfalling: people even voted for Mayor. No one can really complain as most people didn't vote. :ohmygod:
Makes me sad.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

As Findlater said on CBC earlier this result certainly gives him and the Council a strong mandate. To see him reelected with ease and 5 of the 6 incumbent councillors re-elected (Neis would have been reelected too if she had run for Council) was impressive. Our municipality is in good hands and the vast majority of people are pleased with what's been happening. A good day for sure!
Last edited by Urbane on Nov 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

According to the preliminary results the biggest winner was Neis....
for getting out of that mess...
oldnewsguy

Post by oldnewsguy »

So its the status quo for West Kelowna!
The Boucherie Bozo's with their chief clown have been returned to office for another three years.
To bad the few voters who bothered to cast their votes in West Kelowna didn't follow the pattern set in other Valley communities, including our Big Brother across the lake, who turfed out most of the incumbents.

Return to “C.E. West Kelowna”