Choice for Mayor

Who would you like to see elected Mayor of DWK?

Doug Findlater
40%
Rosalind Neis
60%

Total votes: 70

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Catz »

is that it...
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

Post by okanagan_sports »

oldnewsguy wrote:So its the status quo for West Kelowna!
The Boucherie Bozo's with their chief clown have been returned to office for another three years.
To bad the few voters who bothered to cast their votes in West Kelowna didn't follow the pattern set in other Valley communities, including our Big Brother across the lake, who turfed out most of the incumbents.

It doesn't matter, now ! Medis reports say It was the lowest turnout of any Westside election in years and lower than the previous DWK election. That does not reflect well, actually' on you, the demanding people of West Kelowna. Meanwhile, the results are a clear signal (to those of you who did not vote) to refrain from parking 3 TON white-coloured TRUCKS by the side of the highway, pushing your political agenda !

Instead of parking 3 ton trucks with hand-drawn, 3 foot letters, simply get off your *ss and VOTE ! That's how democracies have worked since the days of Nero.

Congratulations to all West Kelowna candidates who did run for office, including Ms, Rosalind Neis. Since Ms. Neis is still a relatively young woman, she cannot be discounted for future community roles, down the road, and she can still contribute, as her busy day job permits. In fact, all of you can still contribute... even if you didn't get elected this time around !
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

What can we learn from the results of this local election in West Kelowna? I learn that there is a behind the scenes “party” running the governance of our district. It is not a political party in the usual sense but rather an “old boys club” who enjoy treating us as their fiefdom.

Just consider the members of our 2011 council. They are all part of the same service club who meet regularly, talk to each other regularly, sign each others nomination papers (just look it up if you wish), help each other put up road signs and advertise, organize and run campaigns, be certain their members go to the polls, etc. This group, that I view as an unregistered “political party”, dominates us and decides who gets elected to our local council.

Look at the numbers: In rough numbers, only ¼ of the eligible voters (24000) turned out to vote. Almost two thirds of those 6000 voted for Findlater. They also voted for his other “political party” members down the line until they came to Knowles at which point only ¾ of them could “hold their nose” and cast their votes his way but that was enough to place him back in council chambers where he can continue his sleeping. That did it for our 2011 council make-up.

Poor Rusty only got ¾ as many votes as Knowles. What did he ever do to get the “old boys club” mad at him?

As far as Neis is concerned, her election 4 years ago was an aberration due the 51-49 split regarding incorporation. She did a decent job during her term as mayor and was accepted as a councilor 3 years ago - but think back and remember that Findlater and the unregistered “political party” council members of that one year made sure that her ideas were not allowed to reach the light of day. Now, in 2011, there was no burning issue for the electorate so most of us stayed home watching TV while the “party” elite decided for us where our government would go!

I can not help but think what the votes totals would have been if 10000 of the 18000 non-voters had shown up. Perhaps those 10000 would have attended all-candidates meetings and read newspapers and read candidates platforms. To be REAL generous to Neis assume that these 10000 would have split their votes only 42% for Findlater and 58% for Neis. Then Findlater would STILL have won. See how much power the "unregistered political party” has?

Lots of luck to all of us. I don’t foresee much change for some years (if ever!)
RosieJoe

Post by RosieJoe »

I'm wondering if Rick's voice will even be considered. I can just see it now. The six (Findlater, Zannon, Knowles, Ophus, Winsby, & Milsom)." Ok new KID, we will vote you down in council chambers, if you don't do what we want." I don't think he's going to stand up or argue with any of them. He won't be a strong player over the next 3 years. If he had someone like Ensign, Gux, Sinclair or Robinson. He would have at least had a fighting chance at being heard. Good Luck De Jong, you're really going to need it.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

RosieJoe wrote:I'm wondering if Rick's voice will even be considered. I can just see it now. The six (Findlater, Zannon, Knowles, Ophus, Winsby, & Milsom)." Ok new KID, we will vote you down in council chambers, if you don't do what we want." I don't think he's going to stand up or argue with any of them. He won't be a strong player over the next 3 years. If he had someone like Ensign, Gux, Sinclair or Robinson. He would have at least had a fighting chance at being heard. Good Luck De Jong, you're really going to need it.

Read Rick de Jong's bio, his "platform" ... his main plank was "Current council has done a great job".

Read Parachute's summary above .... see how Rick got elected? Rick de Jong is a member of the ruling establishment. He also had name recognition from his strong connection to provincial government. Rick will fit in with Findlater, Ophus and Winsby like a soiled glove. That's four.. the majority of council.

It's Milsom, Zanon and Knowles, the members that at least have some integrity, who will be froze out of making any common sense impact on council that would be in the interests of the lives of regular residential property tax payers.

De Jong replacing Neis on council is a HUGE loss going forward.

But... even if Neis had won and Findlater was turfed there could still have been a problem, Neis was also in the pocket of the WRBA and their leader Mary Mandarino. That was also one of Neis's platform points... listening to that old boys (and girl) Business Association. However Neis would not have been as easy a pushover as Findlater is.

You are right about Gux, Sinclair or Robinson could have made some difference. Although Rusty is seen to be tainted with his business, arena and all... he would be an improvement over any of the four comprising the majority Findlater, de Jong, Ophus and Winsby.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “C.E. West Kelowna”