97%
No
3%

Total votes: 31

EdCase
Board Meister

Re: Voter Turnout

Post by EdCase »

Having a large number of diverse candidates helps. When we see the choice as the least of the evils, the incentive to vote decreases.

We also need active and incisive coverage by the local media to ask tough questions and publicize the answers.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Glacier wrote:
cv23 wrote:Could you please state the source of your information and graph?

Simon Fraser University... http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/his ... rnout.html

I recommend reading the "Voter Turnout in Historical Perspective" section at the bottom.

Thanks but the stats you referenced are exactly as I thought;
"Historical Voter Turnout in Canadian Federal Elections & Referenda, 1867-2008"

Any civic, specifically Kelowna, voting stats as that is the basis of this particular thread.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

General election statistics in comparison: 1928-2009 (2nd link down)
http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/re ... d-surveys/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

oneh2obabe wrote:General election statistics in comparison: 1928-2009 (2nd link down)
http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/re ... d-surveys/

Getting closer but the topic is titled "Civic Election 2011" not Federal or Provincial Election 2011
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Google is your friend. Here's what Kelowna has posted but it only goes back to 2002 but it only shows number of person for each candidate.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page219.aspx
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Google is your friend. Here's what Kelowna has posted but it only goes back to 2002 but it only shows number of person for each candidate.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page219.aspx

Unfortunately the closest census to the last civic election in 2008 was 2006. The population was 106,707 with an estimate pegged at 113,00 by 2008. This doesn't tell us how many eligible voters there were but only 17,826 votes for mayor were cast in the 2008 election and remember the CD21 was huge issue at that time.
Even if 20% of the total population were not eligible voters that still means less than 20% of voters actually got off their couches and cast ballots. Excuse my french but that's F'N PATHETIC people!!!! We should be ashamed and deserve what ever we get from City Hall.
Clearly a vocal minority, or the very few who actually care, are deciding this community's future while the other 80% are either just pathetically lazy or simply don't care. No wonder we are in such a mess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Meh, the less voters, the more power my vote has. 20% doesn't seem that bad to me. On a national level, 11 of the first 12 elections had less than 20% of the population voting, and the elections of 1984, 1988, and 1993 are the only federal elections in which more than 50% of the population voted.

Also, just because someone isn't voting doesn't mean they're pathetically lazy or that they simply don't care. Just so you know, some people are equally happy with whichever person represents them, so they stay home to make the roads easier for voters to travel on.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Glacier wrote:. On a national level, 11 of the first 12 elections had less than 20% of the population voting, and the elections of 1984, 1988, and 1993 are the only federal elections in which more than 50% of the population voted.

:dyinglaughing: I'm sure there was a polling station just down the block from every log cabin in 1867 when the first Federal election took place in Canada.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

No, but that's why the election "day" lasted 45 days. Of course, women and natives couldn't vote neither.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Glacier wrote:No, but that's why the election "day" lasted 45 days.

And only 2% of eligible voters actually ever heard of "dat der Ottywa, Eh"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

I've heard it's the heaviest voter turn out, EVER. Judging from the Parkinson Rec Center and what I heard about Glenmore School's line going around the block, I would say so.

Anyone else got stories?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

They say Kelowna only made 19% voter turnout last time around, which means voter turnout is up significantly this time around. The following table shows that all municipalities within the three Okanagan regional districts.

Table 1: Okanagan Voter Turnout
Table 1: Okanagan Voter Turnout

The figure below lists all the municipalities that had mayoral races from smallest to largest. As you can see, larger populations tend to have lower voter turnout.

Figure 1: Voter turnout vs population
Figure 1: Voter turnout vs population
- Douglas Murray

Return to “C.E. General Discussion”