Polling station - a bad sign!

lowrenzo

Polling station - a bad sign!

Post by lowrenzo »

I arrived in Penticton several years ago, so I was not a registered voter. On arrival at the polling station this morning I was told to stand in one of the numerous long lineups. After waiting about 10 minutes I handed in my ID and was subsequently told that I had to register by going to the next line over - one which had an even longer lineup. Nowhere in the polling station were there any signs to direct non-registered voters to the few lineups that were taking new registrations.

Of course, I muttered my concerns to the other people in the line. Every one of them had gone through the same routine by lining up and then being redirected. One person was given the wrong information and was now on her third lineup!.

Surely after 100 years the city should be able to organize the polls to efficiently process new and old voters! A few signs would have been helpful, as would a few people giving residents direction to the correct lineups.

By the time I was ready to vote, I was sure my decision to not support any of the incumbents was the right one!

Grrr..... :thumbsdown:
irish61
Fledgling

Re: Polling station - a bad sign!

Post by irish61 »

I agree that the signage was terrible if you weren't on the voters list. Hopefully you will address your comments to City Hall so they can make sure next year it doesn't happen. I'm sure the staff working were just as frustrated as you and if you decided not to vote because you got frustrated...oh well...that's your choice.
twobits
Guru

Re: Polling station - a bad sign!

Post by twobits »

lowrenzo wrote:
By the time I was ready to vote, I was sure my decision to not support any of the incumbents was the right one!

Grrr..... :thumbsdown:

That sounds like a pretty crappy experience and hopfully it will be changed in the future but I'm pretty sure that the Mayor and council have nothing to do with how the polls are operated so your frustration is misdirected. Give the chief electoral official an earful.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”