Why is it hard for low income families?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by Woodenhead »

My sister, mom, and grandfather would always battle it out for the "innards & gizzards".

While they were fighting, I'd make off with the white meat & most of the stuffing.

:147:
Your bias suits you.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I bet you could . But would lt be enough to keep me from running at a caloric deficit ?? I doubt it..

You'd have to battle the girl on that one gf, and even I am not stubborn enough to do that. Remembering she has kids and is into nursing , you and me combined , would lose....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Woodenhead wrote:My sister, mom, and grandfather would always battle it out for the "innards & gizzards".

While they were fighting, I'd make off with the white meat & most of the stuffing.

:147:

Wise move.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

MAPearce wrote:I bet you could . But would lt be enough to keep me from running at a caloric deficit ?? I doubt it..

You'd have to battle the girl on that one gf, and even I am not stubborn enough to do that. Remembering she has kids and is into nursing , you and me combined , would lose....

I dunno, Mike - what kind of calories are you eating these days? How much? And are they empty calories? I don't think I have ever in my whole life counted calories. One thing I do watch is sodium content, though, but not by number. I just know what is high and what isn't and govern myself accordingly. Life is too short for a lot of math :D

Yeah, we'd probably lose. It wouldn't be worth a fight in the first place, either. This is the kind of thing people would choose to do on their own, anyway, rather than have it crammed down their throats.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

Re: Vernon BC Poverty

Post by Martin_Herrigan »

Perhaps, if the Business people were to 'think' of their employees as, an asset, and not as, an expense. There are a few business people who 'think' in Vernon BC. and actually have a back bone, with moral fiber.
A socially responsible business, does not employ poverty for profits.
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

Then work towards getting a job that pays more than $10/hr. Or start at one and work your way up by showing you are worth it! And if you are working at McDonalds and wining that you can't afford to feed your family of 6, what would you expect. These are entry level jobs that are geared towards people who want to make some part time money, or first jobs for high school/college kids to get work experience. Judging by the attitude that all businesses are evil and hire slave labor to get work done, you really have a negative view and this is probably whats holding you back. There are very few that run like this, and the ones that do, dont usually last. Look for a place that treats their employees well, and offers the opportunity to advance, and you will not be making minimum wage all your life. And people really need to understand that they NEED to prove their worth. Dont expect to make the big bucks right off the bat, its something that is earned!
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

Are you a business owner, or just a manager ?
vicweir75

Post by vicweir75 »

I'm new in town and have read this thread with interest. One of the best things Family Place ( I don't know if you have anything like that here ) used to do was have community cooking days. Once a week about 5-10 young ladies would get together with a few more experienced women, like GF, to cook a huge dinner that was divided for them as multiple meals. This taught the younger generation how to cook a nutritious meal that can be stretched to accommodate a tight budget. Also provided a chance for these young ladies to meet others in similar situations.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Just for starters, the businesses are not using them, the people who need them are. Those public social support services are provided by the people who are employed and pay income tax and the businesses who have taxable profits. The Food Bank gets their food from generous businesses and individuals who donate to them.

Your reasoning is rather skewed, is all. You think business exist to give you money. In reality, they exist so the business owner can make money. Some of them employ people to do a job and they pay them for that work. No work - no job - no money. It's actually quite simple when you think about it.

Have you ever owned a business? Did you start that business with the objective of employing people and paying them high wages regardless of the success or failure or of the economics of that business? Or did you start that business with the intent of making money for yourself?

If you are unhappy with your current employment situation and those of millions of others, perhaps you might want to consider starting a business and giving yourself and a bunch of other people a job with high wages. A smart cookie like you should be able to figure out how to do that and you will also be able to keep your doors open so that everyone who needs those jobs and high wages can have them with your company.

Let me know where the line starts so I can have that job and wages, too, okay?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Egypt

Sicily

America

the first thing people have to understand, is they should eat a lot of vegetables.
Vegetables are cheaper than all that packaged crap the Americans eat, but that's not
the reason to eat lots. The real reason is - vegetables are healthier.

So go make a garden. best thing you can do. Even if it costs money to make a garden - do it
for the health benefits - it will be all organic, and it will get you thinking correctly. Eat six vegetables per day,
and half of those should be uncooked, like in a salad.

The second thing people should understand, is the number one best healthy thing to do - is undereat.
Yeah - always be slightly hungry when you're done eating. That's healthy for you. It also saves money, but
that's not the goal. the goal is to be healthy.

So it people can start to understand their food should look a little more like the 'Egypt' or 'Sicily' from the pictures above,
with tons of vegetables, and a lot less like the 'Americans' above, with all that unhealthy crap, then
I think people could (with Gramma freddy's system) people could save a fortune, and still eat healthy.

For breakfast I had:
omelette
30 cents for the egg
onion and garlic - free
2 olives - 20 cents
home made piece of bread - 20 cents
an organic anjou pear - free
some cheese - 20 cents
some walnuts - free
some cream in coffee (maybe 10 cents)
total cost - $1.00 for a nutritious meal

that would be $90.00 per month at that rate.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

See that again, totally ridiculous. For all those 'free' items, you spent time and water at least. Also, an 1 egg omlette is not going to feed a grown, working adult. Especially not 3 times a day.
Do any of you have any guests that you feed when they come over? It seems everyone is just counting themselves.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

You paid too much for your olives :D

DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

grammafreddy wrote:You paid too much for your olives :D

I think so, too! :200:
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

mbh wrote:I want to know..

What are the problems for low income families/parents/children?
Why is it hard for you/them?
What problem do you face?
Why is it hard for you to get ahead?
What are the main issues?

Food?
Utilities?
Transportation?
Rent?

To better assist the low income families, we need to better understand what they are going through and what their troubles are.

The question contains the answer. So, why the question??
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

DerKaiser wrote:See that again, totally ridiculous. For all those 'free' items, you spent time and water at least. Also, an 1 egg omlette is not going to feed a grown, working adult. Especially not 3 times a day.
Do any of you have any guests that you feed when they come over? It seems everyone is just counting themselves.

I just count me because it's only me eating here on a regular basis. Can't think of any reason to add extra into my budget for that.

In my budget, I have a $20 contingency built in. That is discretionary spending. I have choices ... either I spend that to buy something special to cook for company or I can save that :D and feed the company from the food I have on hand in my freezer. My company is not ever too fancy-schmancy and they are always quite happy with what is fed to them from the freezer. Where else can you get an instant home-cooked turkey dinner with all the trimmings and fresh homemade bread, too, when it isn't a holiday and you've been out shopping or whatever all day?

I do not try to impress anyone around here. I live simply and the people I associate with tend to do the same.

Return to “Social Concerns”