Stories with loose ends

A potpourri of off-topics.
econovan64
Übergod

Stories with loose ends

Post by econovan64 »

So many stories make headlines and then we never hear about them again.

Remember the Shuswap Bushman? I came across an article that says he got 23 months house arrest. That story was in the news so much until he was charged, then it never came up on Castanet again. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/200 ... 40116.html

Another story that disappeared was the one about a prostitution ring that was busted here in Kelowna some years ago. It involved young girls from eastern cities who were being moved around by an organized crime group and forced to turn tricks against their will. That story just vanished.

I think Castanet readers need to demand that Castanet follows up better on stories they post.
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
limoz

Re: Stories with loose ends

Post by limoz »

I agree with you...The story from last Sunday 'Women wandering on Highway' had nothing more about what happened? Did they find her? was she okay? Coming back from Vernon that same Sunday, there was a whole lot of police cars at the Black Biker building just before the Airport....sounded like the same area, but not a thing was written or updated....
econovan64
Übergod

Post by econovan64 »

limoz wrote:I agree with you...The story from last Sunday 'Women wandering on Highway' had nothing more about what happened? Did they find her? was she okay? Coming back from Vernon that same Sunday, there was a whole lot of police cars at the Black Biker building just before the Airport....sounded like the same area, but not a thing was written or updated....

Just one of many it seems.
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Well, there are some stories that they won't even touch.

Take, for example, the news that was splashed all over the media just a few days ago -- that Kelowna has seen a 1,000% jump in foreclosures over the last three years, with most being within the last few months. We are typically supposed to have between 10 and 20 foreclosures per month in January and February, yet we are now sitting at 170.

This news even ran internationally across dozens of networks. Does Castanet even peep about it? Nah. Their readers couldn't be bothered to know about it. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Now, why won't they touch these kinds of stories? Hmmm... *checks ads shown on site*
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

econovan64 wrote:So many stories make headlines and then we never hear about them again.

Remember the Shuswap Bushman? I came across an article that says he got 23 months house arrest. .

Wasnt he living in a cave or a dirt hut in the bush?
Did they make him go back in his cave in the bush for another 23 months?
Ha.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

If the topic stays about new story follow ups, the thread will remain in tact. If people start insulting Castanet... well, you can guess what will happen.

I think Castanet does a decent job in following up their stories, if the update is relatively close to the original story. I don't think many news outlets period, do a great job in their follow ups if it takes months or years after the initial story
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

This thread is about NEWS stories that don't have follow-ups. It is not about your perception of censorship on this board.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here is a good review of the book on the Bushman and the shuswap.... https://ormsbyreview.com/2021/05/31/114 ... k-bushman/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

OMG. I saw this thread and checked it out but didn't look at when it was first posted. Then I saw Jo's post and went"whatttttttt?.

Read first, then comment.

I miss Jo.

Good thread. I agree with the follow up part. It's the grisly stuff that sells. The aftermath is a non-starter for the media.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Grab Bag”