You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Fritzthecat »

CR250R40 wrote:Capitol Taxi and Valley Taxi yellow pages ad in 1981 Vernon phone book.

I remember those taxi's!
Mid to late 70's Dodge and Plymouths.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
dodi

Post by dodi »

delivering the Vernon daily news or skating on the lake when it was frozen from kin beach to adventure bay!!
Tphord

Post by Tphord »

:sunshine: Welcome aboard dodi! :sunshine:
VERNONITE
Anyone whose Family came here in the last 10,000 years (including 2012) and
LOVES VERNON
(warts and all! )
My Folks were "Johnny-come-latelies”!

"Any color as long as it's black"

Mr. Fitz-'60s photog-where are you?
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

dodi wrote:delivering the Vernon daily news or skating on the lake when it was frozen from kin beach to adventure bay!!

Back in 1975, at age 11, I delivered “The Vernon News” on 29th St from 39th Ave to 48th Ave. Subscribers really loved their newspaper back in the day. Delivering was time-consuming but I’m glad I did it.

I never skated around Adventure Bay, but did skate on Swan Lake a few times. Had fun.

The most fun I ever had skating [besides hockey] was public skating in the mid-1970s at “Centennial Outdoor Rink.” [Centennial was full-size before the city shortened it to build Priest Valley Rink.] Centennial had a large bonfire in its center that you could sit around on benches. Was always packed. Later on the rink opened to Shinny Hockey. Very fun. Great memories. I presume Centennial Rink still operates every winter.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Beautiful Sunday CR. I hear the library next to City Hall is closing (opening in a larger facility). Do you remember where it was before that?
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

zookeeper wrote:Beautiful Sunday CR. I hear the library next to City Hall is closing (opening in a larger facility). Do you remember where it was before that?

My first trip to the Vernon Public Library was in 1971. I’ve only known the library to be next to City Hall. I think our class toured the adjoining Museum that day too.

I’m not sure where Vernon's public library was located prior to its City Hall location. The new Vernon Public Library is next to the railway track on 30th Ave adjacent to Tolko Offices. Should be a nice building.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks CR, maybe someone else knows. I was more confused when the TV said the "old" library was only 20something years old, maybe that was an addition?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

THe current library moved into its current site approx. 20 years ago. Previous it shared the same site with the museum.
Before that was before my time.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

This Library question is a great one, I have been thinking on it all day. I remember when the current Library/Museum/Police Station opened, with the copper roofs, and the old clock out front. I think we called it the 'Civic Centre' back then. Before that the old Museum was in the old red brick firehall, right behind where the Allison Hotel was. I think the police were in the Court House. Long long ago, where the Allison Hotel was, before that there was a lovely red brick building on that spot, and on the top floor was a Reading Room.

I could be very wrong, but I have a feeling that the Library, between the time of the old red brick Reading Room, and the Library we have all used since the 60's, was in a building along the street between the bus depot and the railway station. Between Barnard and Schubert, 31 Ave.? I remember as a kid going to the old age pensioner's little club house place along there, maybe the library was around too? Close for the old folks, and people shopping downtown on Barnard. It also would have been convenient to move the books over from the old brick Reading Room. Then, when the current library opened in the '60's, it wasn't far to move the books over across Schubert.
Tphord

Post by Tphord »

Superbee quote
Long long ago, where the Allison Hotel was, before that there was a lovely red brick building on that spot, and on the top floor was a Reading Room.

http://www.vernon.ca/lifestyles/history/index.html

The elegant building on the corner of Barnard (30th Ave) and 30th Street was the 1903 City Hall. In front was the green fountain/horse trough that’s now outside the Museum! The first Librarian c.1893, was also Vernon’s first volunteer Fire Chief, James J Hull, 1899-1903. From his vantage point on the Fire Brigade mural he still keeps a sharp watch on Vernon! He shook his head when the Okanagan Regional Library celebrated 75 years of “A” Library in Vernon…they were actually only speaking of the ORL! http://www.vernonmurals.ca/

In the 1960s the City Hall was on the corner of 30th Street and 29th Ave. A huge walk-in safe remains in the “Eunique Boutique” at 2906B 29th Ave. The Library was next door where “Rapunzels-The Salon” is now. We’ve come full circle because Paul Miller of “Rapunzel’s” is a great-grandson of James J Hull!

http://www.vernonmuseum.ca/
Go to: Archives, go to photo database, enter photo number. VMA photo 1272 (1965) photo 461 (1925)

Yes, the Museum was in a one story building attached to the south side of the still operating (sadly gone) unique red brick No. 1 Fire Hall. The building used to be the Police Station. In September 1913, James J Hull was lighting the furnace in the basement of the City Hall for the first time that fall. A dynamite cap was hidden in the furnace. It exploded. He was injured for life.
VERNONITE
Anyone whose Family came here in the last 10,000 years (including 2012) and
LOVES VERNON
(warts and all! )
My Folks were "Johnny-come-latelies”!

"Any color as long as it's black"

Mr. Fitz-'60s photog-where are you?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Vernon tears down too many of its unique old buildings.
The National Hotel was a total waste.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I agree.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

The National came down? :200: When? (haven't been in a while). What went up in it's place?
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

I enjoy taking photos of Vernon. Be mindful I'm no pro. So the beauty may be off.

Monashee's Bar and Grill replaced The National.

The Kalamalka Hotel still exists but it's not the elegant structure it once was.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks CR, fancy smancy. I see the Kalamalka lives on. Guess the next road trip I'll hardly know the place!

Return to “North Okanagan”