You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Fritzthecat »

Chicken Delight.
We'll see who knows what I'm talking about....
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Fritzthecat wrote:Chicken Delight.

Pizza Tonight?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

gotaway wrote:

Pizza Tonight?

Close. Can you give me a location? Not Location X either...
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Fritzthecat wrote:Close. Can you give me a location? Not Location X either...

I seem to remember a fried chicken place on the top end of Main St, Near the movie theatre or the next block down, same side. Lee's?
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Pizza Tonight?[/quote]
Close. Can you give me a location? Not Location X either...[/quote]

31st ave an 33rd st thereabouts and Dixie Lee was up near the movies .
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Enclosed are photos of Polson Park -- Japanese Garden -- that I snapped July 27, 2011. I added a second photo of the floral clock from 2005 because the clock photo of 2011 is from a low angle, not as visually pleasing as the 2005. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Floral clock 2005. One of the best arrangements.
Last edited by CR250R40 on May 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Fritzthecat wrote:Chicken Delight.

Sorry - ya got me. It sounds familiar but I just cannot place it. Was it near the old "Coldstream Hotel/RJ's Chicken and Ribs" area?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks so much CR!!! :D Just as serene as I remember it (Japanese garden)! Is that St James Church in the last photo? My parents got married there. Does that Catholic school across the street still operate?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

CR, I remember there used to be a look out stand where you could climb the stairs on to a little platform to view the clock, do they no longer have it?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

CR250R40 wrote:Sorry - ya got me. It sounds familiar but I just cannot place it. Was it near the old "Coldstream Hotel/RJ's Chicken and Ribs" area?

Nope.
Closer to west part of town.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I just remembered Roxy Bakery behind Nolan Drugs on the side street.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Zookeeper, that is the Catholic Church up in the corner of those lovely photos.

The Roxy Bakery treats were wonderful, I loved their cream puffs. Does anyone know who owned and ran Roxy Bakery? I think it was an older European couple?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Fritz, was it 'Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight'? I can't remember if that slogan was for a Vernon chicken place, or one in 100 Mile House.

Was the Vernon chicken place you're speaking of behind Eaton's old parking lot, where Mr. Spud? Magnus used to have his gas station in the '60's?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

CR, thank you for posting your lovely photos of Polson Park. You Vernon folks are so blessed to have such a beautiful park so close to downtown. I loved sitting there at noon with my friends when we were in high school at Fulton in the Park. It is great to see Ogopogo is still in his pond, and the Floral Clock(s). I am ashamed to say I have not been to Polson Park for many years, so thank you again for posting these.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

The heavy black chain that is in one of the Floral Clock photos sure looks like the heavy black chain that used to surround Cenotaph Park back in the '60's. Several people have wondered over the years whatever happened to that heavy black chain, and maybe someone at City Works must have heard, and dug it out?

When that chain was around Cenotaph Park you could not sit on it, or the police driving by would stop and order you off. And forget about ever walking in Cenotaph Park, we were told by our elders it was a sacred place and keep out, and we did. How shameful it was turned into a place for awful things. Maybe they should have left that chain up and ordered the creeps off, the same as they did us kids?

Return to “North Okanagan”