What is the purpose of life?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: What is the purpose of life?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Build a house, plant a tree, raise a son.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Quailize wrote:Surely the purpose can't just be self enjoyment. So what happens when we die? We just rot? We don't go anywhere? All the memories and achievements are just wasted and forgotten?

Yup, yours are anyway. But life on this planet is a continuum. Even after several extinction events on this planet, life just keeps coming back, often in a different set of forms to accommodate the changes in the environment. Or as Monty Python said, "We are only replicating DNA." So, instead of fretting about an after life, get a life and have sex as often as you can. Then you would at least fulfill the purpose of life on this planet.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Quailize wrote:But what happens when you die? Was it all a pointless waste?

It's only as useless as you make it. Do something, build something, make a difference in someone's life. Reproduce, pass your genetics on to future generations. The only afterlife is how you are remembered by the living.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Quailize wrote: Doesn't that give you a sense of hopelessness? Like life isn't worth living? To know that someday everything we did is just going to be thrown away? All the memories and accomplishments, gone. Why were we created? What is the true meaning of our lives? What are we meant to do?

:137: Hopeless ??? Are you ignoring everyone's responses on purpose ?

Go to school. Earn a degree. Find something meaningful to do with your life.
Make a difference. Leave a small part of the world a better place than what you found it.
Travel. Open your mind and your heart to experience. Learn.
Find someone to love, raise a family.
So many options, so little time.

Who can know what happens after we die.
Why waste time worrying about it.
It will be what it will be.
Go live life. Be a good person. Find your purpose.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Yes, I hear you. But how can you bear the dreaded fact? Does this fact bother me more than everyone else?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

At this point in time it seems so, but lots of people go through it. I think it's more an awakening to look at your life though, rather than the "dreaded fact", kinda knowing you're going to die makes you want to live more. I know someone well in to their 80's, and his biggest fear is who will take care of his old cat when he dies, but he doesn't dwell on it and seems to enjoy his life (and his cat).
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Quailize wrote:Yes, I hear you. But how can you bear the dreaded fact? Does this fact bother me more than everyone else?

Not sure which fact that is, but apparently it does bother you more than most - at least at present. Are you afraid of dying? I would suggest the bigger fear should be being afraid of living. Again, at the end of the day we cannot predict with certainty what will happen after we “pass over”. If you wish to seek spiritual enlightenment or conscious contact with God before then there are many paths you can pursue. If that’s not your thing then that does not mean life is without meaning. We are all going to die, our bodies failing us and eventually decaying to nothingness. The questions will always be (for yourself at the end and for others you left behind), what did you do, did it matter and make a difference, whose lives did you affect and how, and was the world a better place for you having been in it? If you can reflect and answer those questions on your death bed in a positive way I would propose you would be satisfied and at peace. To die in such a manner, satisfied, happy and at peace, is an ideal to hope for in this life. What comes next, whatever it is or isn’t, comes after that and is not important right now. What did you do with your today? What are you going to do with your tomorrow?

G'night
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

To learn to love and respect one another.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

Is the urge to leave our mark on the world just a manifestation of the fear that the end of life is the end of everything for us? A last grasp at immortality?

Somewhere between the tiny insignificance of being one in a few billion life forms on the journey between birth and death, and the rarity and beauty of being an individual with virtually unlimited options and possibilities, there is a place of peace and contentment. It's different for each of us, and tied closely to our personal environment. Consider reading a little about "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs", a good place to start is to investigate how much "purpose" is hard-wired into our brains, and how far personal choices can carry us from there.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

-fluffy- wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

Is the urge to leave our mark on the world just a manifestation of the fear that the end of life is the end of everything for us? A last grasp at immortality?

Somewhere between the tiny insignificance of being one in a few billion life forms on the journey between birth and death, and the rarity and beauty of being an individual with virtually unlimited options and possibilities, there is a place of peace and contentment. It's different for each of us, and tied closely to our personal environment. Consider reading a little about "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs", a good place to start is to investigate how much "purpose" is hard-wired into our brains, and how far personal choices can carry us from there.

One of the greatest scenes in movie history. Also there is an empty hole in people who do not believe in God. Sorry but true. Yes , life is a gift and should be treasured and lived, but the futility and fleetingness of it can and does, for a lack of a better word disturb people to one degree or another.

And Fluffy my comments are not in response to your post, but since I was here I thought I would add to the discussion in general.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Quailize wrote:Not to be closed minded, but I do not believe in god.

My parents brought me to church all the time when I was younger, (age 1-10,) but I just do not believe god is real.

I have my reasons, but I`ll only say them if everyone else wants to hear them.

There are thousands of gods. Which one don't you believe in? Most people in north America automatically assume the biblical guy, but that is just silly. If you are going to talk about god, then you should specify which one.

For instance, my god does not care what you think or believe, doesn't get jealous or angry, throw tantrums, order whole nations wiped out because they *bleep* him off or burn people for not kissing his feet every day. In other words, it is benevolent and kind and loving. But nobody ever mentions my god when discussing god.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Here's a quote I quite like. you might like it too, cliffy, and everyone. I think it speaks well to this topic.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”