What is the purpose of life?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: What is the purpose of life?

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, therefore, there are only two options: a) The energy in the universe has always been here (ie. the universe had no beginning and it has no end), or b) a Supreme Being (AKA God) was involved.

Interesting ideas. I presented the first to a philosophy professor in discussing the possibility of "life" or some kind of continued consciousness after death. His response, which was obvious once considered, was that yes - energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be (and often is) changed; from consciousness to non-consciousness for example.

As far as the universe (energy in the universe) having no beginning and no end. One possibility is that this universe (as currently expressed) was created through the big bang and has been expanding as a result of the force of that explosion (we'll skip the contradictions of something supposedly infinite in a state of expansion). It could be postulated that at some point the universe will stop expanding and then start to fall back in onto itself. This, of course, will result in another massive explosion and we will repeat a similar many thousands of billions years cycle all over again - infinitely repeating.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I believe the biggest questions humans have to ask fall into this order:

What created the universe?
What is the universe expanding into?
What created life?
What is the overall purpose of our lives?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Quailize wrote: What is the universe expanding into?

I find that a very interesting question. If the universe is expanding, it cannot be infinite (by our understanding) as it is expanding within a space that is already there (although, for the purpose of calculating the probability of intelligent life existing elsewhere in the universe, it is easily large enough to be approaching infinity which using calculus still gives us a 100% probability that intelligent life exists elsewhere in some galaxy - maybe even our own).
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Quailize wrote:What created the universe?
What is the universe expanding into?
What created life?

We may eventually find that the answer to all these is the same.

...and then he wrote:What is the overall purpose of our lives?

This one might be a little tougher, the question seems to assume that there actually is a purpose and that we're not just some chance occurrence. If we are put here with a hard-wired purpose, that would indicate the existence of some form of intelligent design wouldn't it ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

To get down to brass tacks, the answer for the first three questions must all be "I don't know".

While the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted among scientific circles, it is still a theory and that casts a measure of doubt on the answer to question #1. It also does nothing to explain conditions pre-existing the big bang so questions two and three are also open to argument.

Personally I'm okay with "I don't know", for me it beats taking a definitive stand based on incomplete data.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

-fluffy- wrote:To get down to brass tacks, the answer for the first three questions must all be "I don't know".

While the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted among scientific circles, it is still a theory and that casts a measure of doubt on the answer to question #1. It also does nothing to explain conditions pre-existing the big bang so questions two and three are also open to argument.

Personally I'm okay with "I don't know", for me it beats taking a definitive stand based on incomplete data.
I believe there is only one place to find the truth.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote: I believe there is only one place to find the truth.

Ah, so you go directly to the source and forgo that book written by men.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:Ah, so you go directly to the source and forgo that book written by men.
My answer was pretty ambiguous.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's okay to speak up, that's what this place is for.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I believe that life, as far as humans are concerned psychologically, is an experience, of which we play a short part in. Our existence and continued existence as well as other species will be based on the decisions that we make both now and the decisions that future generations make. Our world is finite (specifically our star is finite), and at present, is the only known of it's kind.

I cannot honestly give life a meaning or purpose, let alone an explanation. That is up to the individual. It is what it is.

Relating to life experiences, Learn from the past, learn from the present and move forward.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Glacier wrote:Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, therefore, there are only two options: a) The energy in the universe has always been here (ie. the universe had no beginning and it has no end), or b) a Supreme Being (AKA God) was involved.

What you said above seems contradictory....... Do you mean:
If we assume that Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then there are only two options: a) The energy in the universe has always been here (ie. the universe had no beginning and it has no end), or b) that assumption is wrong and a Supreme Being (AKA God) was involved.
You and 71 others Like this post
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There's a leap of logic here that doesn't quite make sense:

1.) that the energy has always been here
2.) that a supreme being was involved

I don't see the logic how we arrive at choice 2.) as the only alternative to choice 1.)

Obviously this is an area beyond our understanding and while a supreme being may be one explanation it's more than a little narrow minded to view it as the only possible explanation.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LANDM wrote:What you said above seems contradictory....... Do you mean:
If we assume that Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then there are only two options: a) The energy in the universe has always been here (ie. the universe had no beginning and it has no end), or b) that assumption is wrong and a Supreme Being (AKA God) was involved.

Yes, of course. Can't say I've met a lot a of people think energy can be created or destroyed though.

The law of conservation of energy (AKA the First law of thermodynamics) is a fundamental law of nature. The only way that such laws can be broken is by supernatural means.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Quailize wrote:I've been feeling quite lost and confused lately. This question has been bothering me, so I should ask it.

What do you think is the overall purpose of life?

Simple philosophy:
Our purpose here is to help others. If we don't - at least don't hurt them.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”