Siberian Elms: very destructive, need to be banned

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Chinese Elm trees (Or Siberian Elms)

Post by Queen K »

Of course we had an inspector on site. Look at the huge root mass we took out directly from under the fence. I figured that if we ever want to plant along the fence these monster roots would be right in the way, so we removed them.
Attachments
Willow twenty five.jpg
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Chantily

Post by Chantily »

A good way to kill them completely, is to drill several holes into the stump on a downward slant and inject the holes with Round Up full strength.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I can remember back in the spring, I walked past a huge Siberian Elm tree that was being taken down. I walked past the same spot today and I was astonished to see that there were HUNDREDS of suckers at least 10 feet high growing off the stump, and about a hundred more starting to rise up through the lawn. That was just in a 6 month period!!! How any tree removal company in this town wouldn't know that you have to make at least a half decent effort to remove the entire tree is beyond me. On the bright side, at least the tree missed out on seeding this year, but will probably be back at it next year.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Cumungala wrote:I can remember back in the spring, I walked past a huge Siberian Elm tree that was being taken down. I walked past the same spot today and I was astonished to see that there were HUNDREDS of suckers at least 10 feet high growing off the stump, and about a hundred more starting to rise up through the lawn. That was just in a 6 month period!!! How any tree removal company in this town wouldn't know that you have to make at least a half decent effort to remove the entire tree is beyond me. On the bright side, at least the tree missed out on seeding this year, but will probably be back at it next year.

Eeeeeek. It's alive!
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Even after grinding out the stumps from the front yard, the extremely long roots were trying to push out new shoots. We had to get the entire front yard stripped down two feet with a cat and have the soil removed. Even then we found Chinese Elm root masses later, trying to come back.

They are tenacious to say the least.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Anyone ever try to grow them as a bonsai tree?
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Time to bring back this thread about a very serious and real problem Kelowna is facing! I've noticed that some progress has been made in the past year on a few locations where Tree of Heaven and Siberian Elm have invaded. Last fall, the city cleared out a dense stand of Tree of Heaven and a few Siberian Elms that grew along a slope between Bernard and the Old Dr Knox site. They also removed many Trees of Heaven along Poplar Point Drive, where the biggest infestation in Kelowna is. I was driving down Bernard the other day and noticed that that infestation is growing back, meaning the work the city did was for nothing. Well done City of Kelowna!! That was effective! Now the trees will be the same height again in a few years, and by then the infestation will probably be worse! I haven't been out to Poplar Point in a while, but they are probably growing back as well.

I also checked out the new Wilden Skylands road the other day and noticed that there are a few Tree of Heaven and Siberian Elms growing up there too. The ironic thing is that this is a new (and I mean BRAND new) neighborhood, so these trees should completely fail to exist there. The genius thing for the city to do would be to go out there and remove them while they're small. They should be able to dig them out, so they wont grow back. It would literally take them an hour to do that!
selma2

Post by selma2 »

I have removed two large chinese elms from my property but there is still one on land adjacent to me. I live in Lake Country. Can I request the City to remove this tree. I am buried in seedlings.
selma2

Post by selma2 »

I live in Lake country and have a Chinese Elm on the adjacent property that is getting huge. Will the Lake Country maintenance people remove it if I ask them to?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Why don't you call them and ask?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Will Lake Country management enter private property based on a neighbours request?

You can ask them but I'm going to say you'd have to prove the tree was a diseased hazard backed by a letter from a professional tree removal company, whom was hired by your neighbour. Or at the very least allowed on to their property because you paid the consulting bill.

Are you willing to split the cost of a massive tree being removed? Only approx. $800 to $1000 depending on the difficulty of removal.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

It's that time again, when the evil tree, the Chinese Elm sends out thousands of potential little trees via those flying white disks.

Pity the person who does not get the little tree out in time.

The roots are massive and destructive. They grow HUGE. So large that you are virtually cutting down and out an new tree, only underground.

I say, the City should put a bounty out on them, Pay Tree cutters by the tree and pay property owners half back for paying an Arborist to take them down.

The outlaw the trees and force the issue.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lest anyone think a Chinese Elm tree is happy just sending millions of spawn out to the neighbourhood, I have news.

The tree sends out shallow shoots from which a new tree will shoot up. Yup you have to watch around the tree for new leaves forming.

We just dug out such a beast from the neighbours tree. Which should have been removed ages ago but there seems to be sort of bidding issue.

Damn it, all these trees should be illegal.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

well there is now something even more irritating to add to these nuisance trees. seems they have a little tiny partner that love to hang around by the thousands. I'm sure by now many people who live next to these trees have had the pleasure of meeting there new roommates.
if not be on the lookout, because they're here, and they will be looking for a place to roost around mid july to aug, and into sept. and throughout the winter
Very good for the orkin man, not so much for homeowners
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmi ... eedbug.pdf
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Evil they are! As fire season is fast approaching, perhaps a few smears of accelerant on the trunks of Chinese Elms might speed their demise.

I have bacon grease, saved, for just such an occasion. Will smell good as it goes up in flames.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Grab Bag”