Should WestJet have accommodated these people?

Triple 6

Re: Should WestJet have accommodated these people?

Post by Triple 6 »

Captain Awesome wrote:If I understand correctly, the plane was still there when they arrived, but they wouldn't be able to check-in, clear the security, and load the luggage in time.

that's what I understood too. People with disabilities are always first on and first off the plane. This person knowing how important this flight was should have been there at least an hour before boarding.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

French Castanut wrote:I do believe WestJet should have boarded them...As an example, one day long ago I was traveling by bus and had to switch bus in Montreal at 10h15pm. If I had missed that transfer, I would have had to stay overnight in Montreal. It was already an 18h drive that was crazy long (city I didn't know back then.. I thought it was creepy with all kind of bums everywhere. In fact it is.). Because of stupid traffic, my bus arrived late in Montreal, (arrival time was supposed to be like 10pm), but the bus driver called the dispatch so the other bus could wait a couple more minutes before leaving, so I could get in. I arrived 10 minutes late, but the other bus was still there, waiting for my bus to arrive...

Air travel follows a completely different set of rules and regulations than a bus.

There are policies and check lists and what have you that they legally must comply with.

Many years ago I was traveling with my family home from Mexico. My family travelled together all the way to Minneapolis and then my brother and I were taking a flight directly home as we had to go back to school (my parents were driving from Minneapolis).

Our incoming flight was mere minutes late coming in. We had no baggage to check (we didn't even care if it made it back to Ontario with us that night). We just needed to get home. Well between the delayed flight and my brother's recently operated on knee, we literally ran up to the counter as they shut the doors to the gangway. The plane hadn't pulled away, we didn't need to clear security. There was just a pane of glass between us and our plane, but since that door was shut, there was nothing that could be done to open it.

Thems the rules. And we had absolutely no role in being late.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

French Castanut wrote:
They were trveling to Vancouver, for medical appointement, probably one day return way.

Not much a huge luggage right. No customs to go through right.

Probably not much luggage and no customs, sure, but the process for getting someone in a wheelchair through security takes a lot longer than that of an able bodied person. They arrived at the check in counter 26 minutes before the plane's departure time. It probably would've taken at least that long to clear security, so add in the check in time and the boarding time (which will now take longer than it would have because the plane is full) and the flight that was slated to arrive early is now late. That lateness then affects the schedule of the next flight that plane and its crew is to take and so on. Their lack of planning then affects a multitude of other people throughout potentially the rest of the day.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
gambler
Fledgling

Post by gambler »

Every plane I've been on always starts boarding half an hour before departure. ALWAYS. Unfortunately, it takes that long for people to stuff all their carryon into the bins, find their seats, settle down, jump up to retrieve something out of their luggage, settle down, jump up and ask if they can swap seats to sit with their buddy and then finally settle down again. It's sometimes amazing it can even be accomplished in half an hour! Anyhow, if you have not checked in by boarding time (and these people could have done that from home on the internet - Airlines make it very easy for people to check-in), the airline assumes you have changed your mind and are not going on the flight. At this point, the airline has every right to give your seats to standby customers. Airlines don't wait till the scheduled departure time to finalize the guest list and then deal with standby customers or they would always run late. Once boarding time arrives, they assume everyone who wants to be on the flight, has checked in. That's a good thing for all concerned. Once the plane is loaded, it takes off and if there is any delay, they have a few minutes to deal with it and still keep on schedule.

These people say they have flown before, so they know the rules. It sounds like they just pushed their luck and lost. Unfortunate, but clearly not Westjet's fault IMO.

This has nothing to do with this case, but here's some info I was told about. Air Canada flight attendents (and maybe others, I'm not sure), do not get paid till the plane leaves the gate and is moving. Next time you see a flight attendent trying to help get everyone settled and in their seats, with luggage properly stowed, keep in mind they are just as anxious as the customer to keep things on schedule. Figure out what you want out of your luggage while you're waiting for the plane to board. Then get on and for heaven's sake, sit down and stay down! Oh yah, turn off your phone. It's a waste of everyone's time for them to search you out. (small rant over) :sunshine:
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Doris Maria Bregolisse, CHBC News : Monday, November 26, 2012 6:37 PM

Photo Credit: Steve Beskidny , CHBC News

A Kelowna man and his daughter are angry after missing a flight that left YLW earlier than scheduled Monday morning, prompting a missed doctor appointment in Vancouver.

While Roy Penrose says he arrived a half hour before the scheduled flight from Kelowna to Vancouver at 7:40 a.m., Kelowna airport staff confirms the two approached the WestJet counter at 7:14 a.m., a four minute discrepancy.

Both had luggage and had not web-checked prior to arriving for the flight. When Penrose attempted to check in, the attendant radioed flight staff who radioed back that the flight was ready to leave and the two would not be allowed to board.

One of the reasons Penrose was told he was not allowed on: he is wheelchair bound and needs extra time to board a flight.

The flight instead left early, arriving at YVR a full 19 minutes ahead of schedule.

Penrose daughter Tricia, who was to fly with him for assistance, believes the transfer could have taken 30 seconds.

She believes WestJet did not show caring to consider her dad’s disability; he can’t walk after being struck by a tree last year. The medical appointment was with a spinal surgeon that Penrose says took months to book.

WestJet says flights often leave early when all travelers are on board. Because the father and daughter had arrived late, they were not considered passengers.

WestJet could not rebook the two because the doctor’s appointment could not be rescheduled Monday. The two have been refunded their flight costs.

WestJet says all passengers are told to arrive at least 45 minutes to an hour before their scheduled domestic flight. The Penrose’s say they couldn’t find this information on the WestJet website, but admit they are experienced flyers.
© Global News. A division of Shaw Media Inc., 2012.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

less than 15 seconds spent on the Westjet Website to find this ...

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/ ... imes.shtml

clearly states when to be there prior to flight, no exuse, they we're late!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I feel sorry for large companies like WestJet sometimes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

warden wrote:
Probably not much luggage and no customs, sure, but the process for getting someone in a wheelchair through security takes a lot longer than that of an able bodied person.

Just roll him in. Where's the problem?

Some able body person sometimes takes longer than a wheelchair... In my mind: An elderly, well, very elderly slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww walking person, or a flying wheelchair.. I think these things can go 40km/h. I've witness people in wheelchair going on the sidewalk faster than cars on the road, actually.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

French Castanut wrote:Just roll him in. Where's the problem?

Some able body person sometimes takes longer than a wheelchair... In my mind: An elderly, well, very elderly slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww walking person, or a flying wheelchair.. I think these things can go 40km/h. I've witness people in wheelchair going on the sidewalk faster than cars on the road, actually.

You don't simply get an automatic pass because you're in a wheel chair. There is still the responsibility to ensure the wheel chair itself isn't some kind of hazard. Yes, 99.99% of the time it won't be an issue. Something as innocent as the battery type can make all the difference. What if the type of battery the wheel chair uses must not be stored in the cargo hold? What if the battery cannot be removed (or easily removed) from the unit?

I have a few items of electronics that I have to carry-on with me when I fly. None of these are issues to bring on. But with respect to going through security it can be a nightmare. That's why I give myself plenty of time.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

French Castanut wrote:
Just roll him in. Where's the problem?

Seriously? Have you ever flown before? Security won't just 'roll him in'. The metal detectors are rendered useless by the metal wheelchair so they have to inspect both the wheelchair and the passenger. There are regulations that security personnel have to follow and they can't be disregarded just because this man is in a wheelchair and running late for his flight. :127:

These people were ill prepared and are now trying to place the blame where it doesn't belong. They were more than accommodated with the full refund.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

To rephrase a saying, "Poor planning on the part of the travellers, does not constitute an emergency on the part of the airline."
I have to side with WestJet here and think their refunding of the tickets was generous given what their website clearly states...and what is common knowledge amoung regular fliers.
As Warden and others have said about the departure process, there is no way this pair would have checked in and cleared security and boarded the plane in 30 seconds!
I acknowledge that I tend to be a bit of a Nervous Nellie about things like that, but I would have been at the airport even before the suggested time if it were an important medical appointment I was travelling to.

(OK, truth is that I'm ALWAYs way early!)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I'll tell you what. I bet the next time they have to fly out of town for an appointment, they won't miss the plane
:runforlife:
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Graham Adder wrote:I'm relatively confident that these folks were not intentionally late.

Being late is always intentional - it means you didn't leave enough time, and that is totally, 100% up to you. I travel from Kelowna Airport a lot, and leave from Penticton. I always leave at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours before my flight to allow for traffic, car trouble, or anything else that might delay me.

Plan ahead. Being on time in your responsibility, not anyone else's.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

warden wrote:
These people were ill prepared and are now trying to place the blame where it doesn't belong. They were more than accommodated with the full refund.

Exactly, and I hope the Dr charges them for the missed appointment as well.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

the guy is in a wheel chair it probably takes a little longer to get places and do stuff .. i think west jet looks aweful in this , all u ppl who feel u r so much smarter than this guy make me sick .

the plane arrived 19 minutes early !

if i were the guy id file some sort of human rites complaint like the woman in toronto did . get some hotshot lawyer and make west jet pay
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Have any of you people complaining even flown before?

Assuming the flight arrived 19 minutes early and the people here arrived 26 minutes before the plane was to leave there was (all things being equal) a 7 minute window there from the time these people arrive to the time the plane took off. It's not simply about the plane being early. Once the doors are closed they're closed, and given the time frame that was very likely the case here. It's not a matter of WestJet being jerks, it's policy. There could have been potential for the airline to be fined, we don't know (speaking from personal flying experience, we don't know exactly what happened here).

How about this (example)...

They decided to drive to Vancouver instead of fly. They realize they didn't allow themselves enough time so they start to speed to make the appointment. They're pulled over by the police and when asked why they were speeding they explain "well, we're experienced drivers on the Coquihalla but we didn't look up the weather, road conditions, or distance to our destination, and now we're going to be late. You should accomodate us and let us go because we were ill prepared and won't take responsibility for our own mistakes". I bet you'd want them to sue the RCMP too.

Return to “Central Okanagan”