My Reading

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

My Reading

Post by kibbs »

A couple of years ago Finding a need to find spiritual people for company I went to my local church.I offered my help to them .
They asked if I could join the reading list in which they take turns reading the assigned weekly readings from the bible .These are the readings most christian churches have every Sunday.Whatever task I'm given I try to do my best.I practice the reading aloud and contemplate its meaning.When I give the reading I feel this amazing spiritual energy fill me.
Id like to share the reading and share my interpretations with you .I will share the preachers take on it after and invite you to share yours.
A reading from Romans.
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”[a] that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”[b] 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[c]
The Word Of The LORD

For me this says we are all apart of one great big eternal thing ,If we accept this and state our belief we will find peace in it
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: My Reading

Post by kibbs »

It was a beautiful day to ride the Bicycle to church(I need to get in better shape)I did my reading and again got filled with a sweet vibe .It felt like the congregation was spiritually giving me their gratitude .
The preacher said the Evangels focus on the saving part and thinks its from Satan .He says that more moderate Churches see it as a saving of one from oneself .To live a life as set by the example of Christ and find your salvation in the following of his ways.I asked if he would give me a copy of his homily ,he said he would in a couple of weeks when he returns from the Kootneys. Seems like were lookin for a steady preacher.
I was sad to see no Interpretations . Hopefully you were waiting to here what the preacher said.After I cycled home and member came with her friend from Japan to borrow the people powered vehicle .They had an amazing fun time and my prayers were answered Hallelujah.
Peace be with you.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

You might find Alan Watts book "The Art of Contemplation" of interest. His expression of the notion of there being a little part of god inside all of us is somewhat parallel.

Be aware that although he was once an Episcopalian minister, his perspective is one largely influenced by Zen, and also by Taoism.

And to paraphrase D.T. Suzuki "as soon as you write something down, it begins to lose its meaning".
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I have watched his videos ,hes pretty cool .I think its all good .But this church is mine .I think of all my ancestors who went to the same church for centuries ,did the same rituals and although my interpretation is different ,the ritual is the same for all .It connects me to eternity.Its strange when I first started reading the words and singing the songs I didn't know them but in a way I did know them.It came so easy like a inherit spiritual resonance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blUYJm6i-c
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

This thread states the last post was made my Kibbs at 7:27 pm today.
The last post shows as being hobbyguy.
I'm going to assume Kibbs posted, then deleted...and in doing so, he broke the internet.

Way to go Kibbs.
You broke the internet.
Pray to Jeep Bus that it gets fixed!
Attachments
jeep-on-a-stick.jpg
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Way to go Kibbs.
You broke the internet.
Pray to Jeep Bus that it gets fixed!

Its a miracle ,no just thought of something to say and added it .It has to go through god first.
Its not my turn this Sunday .Enjoy your Sabbaths, you have a whole week till a new Reading
Here's some sweet jebus tunes for you till then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvYadad-x5Y
Peace be with you.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

kibbs wrote:8 But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”[a] that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”[b] 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[c]
The Word Of The LORD

For me this says we are all apart of one great big eternal thing ,If we accept this and state our belief we will find peace in it

That's what you get from this?
Says to me....the only way you will be saved is to do as you're told by the church...to spread the word and preach to those who do not.
Otherwise, this Lord of yours will shame you.

What exactly is one saved from ????
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

What exactly is one saved from ????

The preacher said the Evangels focus on the saving part and thinks its from Satan .He says that more moderate Churches see it as a saving of one from oneself

I agree with the preacher ,god and the devil are all inside you.The bible has been interpreted in many ways.Some who don't like it use the more literal interpretations and blanket all church goers with this narrow and controlling one.Its what you make of it .
Peace be with you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

HOW MOSES GOT THE 10 COMMANDMENTS

God went to the Arabs and said,
'I have Commandments for you that will make your lives better.'

The Arabs asked, 'What are Commandments?'
And the Lord said, 'They are rules for living.'

'Can you give us an example?'

'Thou shall not kill.'

'Not kill? We're not interested..'

So He went to the Blacks and said, 'I have Commandments.'

The Blacks wanted an example, and the Lord said, 'Honor thy Father and Mother.'

'Father? We don't know who our fathers are.
We're not interested.'

Then He went to the Mexicans and said,
'I have Commandments.'

The Mexicans also wanted an example, and the Lord said 'Thou shall not steal.'

'Not steal? We're not interested.'

Then He went to the French and said,
'I have Commandments.'

The French too wanted an example and the Lord said, 'Thou shall not commit adultery.'

'Sacre bleu!!! Not commit adultery? We're not interested.'

Finally, He went to the Jews and said,
'I have Commandments..'

'Commandments?' They said, 'How much are they?'

'They're free.'

'We'll take 10.'

There, that should offend just about everybody .
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

There, that should offend just about everybody .

Those stereotypes are as old as the bible .I guess that's why they are kinda funny ,we are laughing at the fools we once were .
I don't get to read this weekend either sorry not till the tenth of march .I will be reading from Joshua .chapter 5 versus 9-12.
FYI ,It is the season of lent.All I know is your suppose to give up something as a sacrifice before Easter.
Steven Colbert gave up being Catholic last year and tried other religions.Too funny.
I'm givin up Mcdonalds' apple pies ,deep fried death for a buck fifty.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Old testament this time.The most fun to read and the hardest names to pronounce.
A Reading from Joshua
Josh 4:19 (NRSV) The people came up out of the Jordan on the tenth day of the first month, and they camped in Gil'gal on the east border of Jericho. 20 Those twelve stones, which they had taken out of the Jordan, Joshua set up in Gil'gal, 21 saying to the Israelites, "When your children ask their parents in time to come, "What do these stones mean?' 22 then you shall let your children know, "Israel crossed over the Jordan here on dry ground.' 23 For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you crossed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which he dried up for us until we crossed over, 24 so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, and so that you may fear the LORD your God forever."

9 The LORD said to Joshua, "Today I have rolled away from you the disgrace of Egypt." And so that place is called Gil'gal to this day.
10 While the Israelites were camped in Gil'gal they kept the passover in the evening on the fourteenth day of the month in the plains of Jericho. 11 On the day after the passover, on that very day, they ate the produce of the land, unleavened cakes and parched grain. 12 The manna ceased on the day they ate the produce of the land, and the Israelites no longer had manna; they ate the crops of the land of Ca'naan that year.
The Word of the LORD

The most fun to read and the hardest to interpret .You gotta look deep cause at first you think "What The Heck Are They Talking About?"
For me this says not to forget the struggles that your elders passed through to get you here .That god is always with you and we should be thankful for all the goodness that the earth and good people provide.
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

kibbs wrote:...we are laughing at the fools we once were ...

were?
:137:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

were?

and still can be .God is amused by our attempts to be perfect.Like the way we smile when a kid muffs their lines in the school play.
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I'm happy to know that your god finds his mistakes humorous.
It shows he has some emotion other than hate and anger.
That's a really good thing.
It wasn't looking good for a bit there.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I'm happy to know that your god finds his mistakes humorous.

i don't believe in a personified god i use the term metaphorically.God lightens up when we do.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”