Another Pedophile Priest!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Another Pedophile Priest!

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote: These books were discovered in the 4th century and are very contradictory to the Bible canon. They mix Greek philosophy, paganism, mysticism all together. They are clearly not meant to be in the Bible. One point is they portray Judas (who betrayed Jesus) in a good light.

Anyway this is just some of the controversy surrounding these 13 books.

We were talking about the Gnostic gospels that were discovered in Egypt in 1945 by a man digging a well. The parchment is dated about the time the bible was put together in its present form around 315 AD, about the time the library at Alexandria was ordered burned to destroy all ancient writings that were contrary to the political agenda put forth by the bible.

The KJV is some nice old English prose and put together so Henry XIII could divorce his wife and he couldn't stand having to play second fiddle to the pope. He thought that he should be the top dude on the pecker pole. If you really read the bible with a critical eye, you would find that what you are told it means is utter nonsense. Jesus railed against the self righteous religious types of his day. He was anti religious. If you read the original Greek you will see that he never said he was THE only son of god. He said I am a son of god and we are all children of god. The entire religion, as with most, is a political organization designed to control and lord over the sheeple who are unwilling to do their own research or develop a personal relationship with their creator.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Source?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:Source?

Source of what? The Gnostic Gospels, The Council of Nicaea? The writings of Allan Watts? The biblical passages where Jesus railed against the self righteous? The history of the King James Bible? What?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Hmmm wrote:
I'm not sure who has physical possession of the original manuscripts.These books were discovered in the 4th century and are very contradictory to the Bible canon. They mix Greek philosophy, paganism, mysticism all together. They are clearly not meant to be in the Bible. One point is they portray Judas (who betrayed Jesus) in a good light.

Anyway this is just some of the controversy surrounding these 13 books.

What do you mean by not meant to be in the Bible? Meant by whom and which Bible? There are plenty. And what does it matter what a specific group believed? Do you think the Bible you chose has a monopoly on truth? Let me share some Christian history.

Gnosticism is a blanket term to describe a large variety of beliefs common before the 4th century, after which Constantine converted and his church fathers decided which scripture was orthodox. Most of the Gnostic manuscripts were written from the 1st-3rd centuries with many more than 13 books sharing these beliefs, and much oral tradition.

Before the Romans adopted Christianity as their only religion there were vastly different Christian beliefs (even more than today if you can believe it). The "Bible" you read today is only that because a small group of people (church fathers) had the power by the Romans to persecute everyone else with conflicting beliefs. But even they didn't agree because unsurprisingly, no two people on Earth share the exact beliefs. There really was no consensus.

Did you know that the gospel of John shares some Gnostic beliefs, such as his strong theology of Jesus' divinity? Did you also know that some books in the Bible are forged in Paul's name, such as the pastoral epistles? So, not only did the church fathers have there own agenda's but were simply ignorant in their choices because they didn't have access to scholarship as we do today.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Sneaksuit wrote:
What do you mean by not meant to be in the Bible? Meant by whom and which Bible? There are plenty. And what does it matter what a specific group believed? Do you think the Bible you chose has a monopoly on truth? Let me share some Christian history.

I approach the study of the Bible as someone who has faith in its divine inspiration. Therefore, I also feel that God can and did make sure that what he wanted to be part of the Bible, is part of it. That's what I meant. As for Christian history as well as Bible history, I am very familiar with it. I do not dispute the sordidness of some of it. Either way, those 13 Gnostic books are clearly (from my perspective) not part of the divinely inspired collection of books that comprise the Bible.]
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

[quote="Hmmm
[/quote] I approach the study of the Bible as someone who has faith in its divine inspiration. Therefore, I also feel that God can and did make sure that what he wanted to be part of the Bible, is part of it. That's what I meant. As for Christian history as well as Bible history, I am very familiar with it. I do not dispute the sordidness of some of it. Either way, those 13 Gnostic books are clearly (from my perspective) not part of the divinely inspired collection of books that comprise the Bible.][/quote]

Thank you Hmmm for the aparent honesty in your answers.
I suppose it really is just a matter of faith?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cliffy1 wrote:Source of what? The Gnostic Gospels, The Council of Nicaea? The writings of Allan Watts? The biblical passages where Jesus railed against the self righteous? The history of the King James Bible? What?

The parchment is dated about the time the bible was put together in its present form around 315 AD, about the time the library at Alexandria was ordered burned

For this ^ Who exactly ordered it destroyed? Was the library destroyed? Was it rebuilt? Seriously dude, you posts reek of conspiracy theorist nonsense.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:For this ^ Who exactly ordered it destroyed? Was the library destroyed? Was it rebuilt? Seriously dude, you posts reek of conspiracy theorist nonsense.

Constantine ordered all writings that were not approved for inclusion in the bible destroyed. The library at Alexandria was the largest repository of ancient knowledge in the world middle East at the time and was burned. It is in the history books. It was never rebuilt as far as I know. It was the single biggest purge of ancient knowledge in history. I'm not making it up. It is not a conspiracy theory.

I gleaned this from the book The Gnostic Gospels written by a Catholic historian (I believe, but it has been a long time since I read it). This site says the burning is shrouded in mystery and it is not clear who actually burned it because there are too many people who may have: http://ehistory.osu.edu/world/articles/articleview.cfm?aid=9

The Gnostic Gospels were found in a desert in northern Egypt. When investigating why they were there it was discovered that there was a monastery buried in the sand near by. It is speculated that when all books be ordered burned, a monk from the monastery buried them in the desert to preserve them for a more enlightened time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

FWIW, the Alexandria Library came to an end slowing over many centuries, and not simply by one edict in 300s as you claim or in the 600s as other claim.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... alexandria

Battles suggests that the destruction of the library wasn't due to a single great fire, but on account of "moldering slowly through the centuries as people grew indifferent and even hostile to their contents."

He concludes: "What happened to the books of Alexandria? Many, many centuries happened to them--too many for their inevitable dispersal and disappearance to be staved off, no matter whose mobs rioted in the streets, no matter which emperors set fires."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:FWIW, the Alexandria Library came to an end slowing over many centuries, and not simply by one edict in 300s as you claim or in the 600s as other claim.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... alexandria

Battles suggests that the destruction of the library wasn't due to a single great fire, but on account of "moldering slowly through the centuries as people grew indifferent and even hostile to their contents."

He concludes: "What happened to the books of Alexandria? Many, many centuries happened to them--too many for their inevitable dispersal and disappearance to be staved off, no matter whose mobs rioted in the streets, no matter which emperors set fires."

Thanks. I try to learn something new every day. I read the Gnostic Gospels about 30 years ago, and at this advanced age, memory is foggy.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

Actually, I was looking for the other pedophile priest thread, because, you can't have too many threads like this for these guys.
Another ONE?

How about 500 of them in ONE American state? Illinois? Of all places.

Five Hundred indicted for systemic sexual abuse of young people in their parishes. What the ??? Did parents not believe their children? Did everyone believe that a man of the cloth is up and above that behavior? How many children were hushed and told they were lying? How many more were beaten when they told the truth about what was going on with the priest?

Here it is. The main question to me and always has been is, "why is there a Catholic left still supporting this?"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/investigation ... dlines_hed
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A native friend of mine was telling me the other day about his sexual abuse in residential school. He said, "I basically believe in God and Christianity, but I will never set foot in a Catholic church." He then went on to describe the abuse, not just by the priests, but the nuns who would play with his penis, etc.
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

But pedophiles and men who commit sexual assaults aren't all Christian/Catholic. I'm left a bit wondering why this is in the Religion & Spirituality forum. Nothing about this is about religion or spirituality. It's just about sex offenders, some of which who hide in their church, which also has nothing to do with religion or spirituality.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

One could start a thread in Social Concerns I suppose.
Even narrow it down to “Pedo Teachers and why they need a good flogging”
As for the the Church, aren’t they to be a sanctuary for the young and vulnerable. This disgusting behaviour is rampant in the church and the highest of the high either condone it, cover it, or participate in it.
This isn’t the odd priest raping/abusing children, it’s rife.
F these scum.

ETA. Forgotten that Sudsy had started this thread a few years ago. I would have just posted my links there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Not exactly the same but it fits with the nun abuse scandal.

Sickening.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”