Vatican conclave - to elect a new pope

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Vatican conclave - to elect a new pope

Post by Phoenix Within »

Hmmm wrote:I don't believe any real Christian believes in the pope...

Nebula wrote:The 'my brand of Christianity is better than your brand' argument.

I had read before that if you factor in local and cultural differences, there's something like 33,000 variations of Christianity worldwide.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Hmmm wrote: Well the for or against me thing does come in to play. Did you want him to act today? What side are you on?

And there is the hook. I spent some time in the marketing and one of the keys to any successful strategy is some sort of loyalty plan. Be it points, rewards and in the bible's case, the hereafter. It's a heck of a selling and loyalty strategy if you can convince customers they need to collect apocalyptic reward points.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Poindexter wrote:
And there is the hook. I spent some time in the marketing and one of the keys to any successful strategy is some sort of loyalty plan. Be it points, rewards and in the bible's case, the hereafter. It's a heck of a selling and loyalty strategy if you can convince customers they need to collect apocalyptic reward points.
There is always a flip side to everything isn't there? Buy one get one free today, or don't and don't get one free either. So yes, we all have a choice. No free ride without accountability. Maybe there is no choice and no God, maybe we came from mud. We all should research and make a conscience decision though and then stand up for what we decide. No research, no decision, just go with the flow and ignore the rest of the world, is another choice, but in my opinion a bad one.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Hmmm wrote:Maybe there is no choice and no God, maybe we came from mud.

The best thing hmmm has ever posted. :sunshine:
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Hmmm wrote: No research, no decision, just go with the flow and ignore the rest of the world, is another choice, but in my opinion a bad one.

Do you research what scholars say about the Bible?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Sneaksuit wrote:
Do you research what scholars say about the Bible?

I'm very familiar with this subject, that is my point, I looked and studied very thoroughly and made my decision. I have not found any of the higher criticism that proved anything to me that would change my mind. I will say that much of the criticism on the surface seems accurate but I have found that a few steps back in their research there's a wrong assumption that was made that undermines their conclusion. In other words, the outcome that some purpose is ultimately faulty and for those that are familiar where there error is, its very clear.

This of course is not a quick Google, copy/paste then decide kind of research. You cannot get a real education on anything that way. If you think you can, please have your next surgery performed from a googler who watched every youtube video on how to remove your gallbladder. Let me know how that works out.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Hmmm wrote:there's a wrong assumption that was made that undermines their conclusion.

I can relate to that. Sort of like assuming god exists and the bible is anything other than a collection of fables. Leads to all sorts of erroneous conclusions.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Hmmm wrote: I will say that much of the criticism on the surface seems accurate but I have found that a few steps back in their research there's a wrong assumption that was made that undermines their conclusion.

Can you give an example?

Hmmm wrote:In other words, the outcome that some purpose is ultimately faulty and for those that are familiar where there error is, its very clear.

Aside from scholars in philosophy of religion or theology, they generally don't publish speculation about life's purpose. I was referring to textual criticism and history etc. which prove the bible's unreliability for information. For example, the bible's escalating Christology in the gospels showing "the fish getting bigger" as the decades passed or the resulting discrepancies between them from conflicting traditional beliefs.

Hmmm wrote:This of course is not a quick Google, copy/paste then decide kind of research. You cannot get a real education on anything that way. If you think you can, please have your next surgery performed from a googler who watched every youtube video on how to remove your gallbladder. Let me know how that works out.

Has your research led you to study the bible outside of the church?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Has your research led you to study the bible outside of the church?

:rate10:
its ok to believe in something but not what your told.Blind faith leads to driving jets into skyscrapers. :nukeem:

It turns out the new pope is an outsider with no clout in the Vatican. They will hollow him out and turn him into puppet faster than you can say dominus. I'm afraid you will have to stay in your closet a little longer gay Catholics.
Peace be with you.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

If there's anyone who can shelter a German from being prosecuted for human rights violations, it's someone from Argentina.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

"sneaksuit" I appreciate your questions, and to provide a quick answer, all criticism either, historical, scientific, biblical ect. I've heard. I do not wish to go into specifics in this forum as it would only entail many copy/paste, read, watch reply s. I don't have the time or patience for that.

I have studied my beliefs using a wide variety of secular literature, history, science as well as spiritual, so it does not come from one side only.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Liquidnails wrote:If there's anyone who can shelter a German from being prosecuted for human rights violations, it's someone from Argentina.
This is very funny. :dyinglaughing: You're so right!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I have studied my beliefs using a wide variety of secular literature, history, science as well as spiritual, so it does not come from one side only.

Dude we believe you have read but only to looked for support of your inherit belief.Most have had many doubts and it is why they are openly critical.We all practice Cafeteria style religion .Make some room on your tray for a bit of salad cause that non stop meat and potatoes is holding you down man.
:hailjo: I am begging you to PLEASE stop derailing this thread and read and join in my reading Brother Hmmmm.You may share all your stuff there if you like or start your own thread on your journey.
Peace be with you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

kibbs wrote: I'm afraid you will have to stay in your closet a little longer gay Catholics.

lol.

Why would an all powerful being put an abomination of sexual deviancy on this earth if he didn't want to.
vs.
Well you see it's this free will thing, and the temptation thing. Mix the two and it's hell for you.

By the way, I appreciate Hmm's opinion. He's a brave soul taking on constant internet assualt. My hat goes of to him.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If there's anyone who can shelter a German from being prosecuted for human rights violations, it's someone from Argentina

thats nazi funny
Peace be with you.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”