How. Much. Money. Should. I. give. to. God.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

How. Much. Money. Should. I. give. to. God.

Post by Thinktank »

Let's say there are 40 adults in a church.

Each one earns $25,000. Each one gives $2500 to the church. ( 10%) Total income for the church - $100,000.

the guy who owns the church gets $100,000 each year.

After ten years each of the forty people is down $25,000. ($2500 X 10)

After ten years the guy who owns the church is up $1,000,000. If he invested the money wisely
he could be up $1.5 million.

So if I obey God, and give tithes, I am down $25,000, and the owner of the church is up at least $1 million after ten years.

or what? Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

someone tell me - HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I GIVE TO GOD? $1,000 per year? or more?

and don't say 'give how much your heart tells you to give.'

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Ho. Much. Money. Should. I. give. to. God.

Post by grammafreddy »

Zero.

What does God need money for? If he needs something, he'll just create it. There are no stores in heaven.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Cuz churches are free to run, and never need repair :127:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Tithe. Tenth. Ten Percent.

Doesn't seem complicated!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

There are a billion Christians on earth.

All of them give some money to God.

I just want to know what's a proper amount because no one ever told me.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

GoStumpy wrote:Tithe. Tenth. Ten Percent.

Doesn't seem complicated!

It is complicated.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

GoStumpy wrote:Tithe. Tenth. Ten Percent.

If everyone who earned ABOVE $100,000 gave 10% to help the poor,

and everyone who earned less than $100,000 NEVER gave money to build huge churches worth $millions that
stand empty six days a week, and Christians put as much effort into being 'real' as they do attending church
all the worlds problems would be solved.

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: How. Much. Money. Should. I. give. to. God.

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Ok this is how it works.
There's a priest, a minister, and a rabbi. They're out playing golf. They're deciding how much to give to charity. The priest says "We'll draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands inside the circle, we'll give to charity." The minister says "No, we'll draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands outside of the circle, that's what we'll give to charity." The rabbi says "No no no. We'll throw the money way up in the air, and whatever God wants, he keeps!"
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

As much as you like .It doesn't really need money, just a place to get together.It needs your time and your devil take care attitude.
:1419:
Peace be with you.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

why are you giving God any money? What is he going to use it for?

If you're giving your money to the church, that's what you're doing, paying the church. The church might donate some of that to needy people, but really if that's how you are wanting your money to be spent, you can do exactly that without going through the middleman.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thinktank wrote:Let's say there are 40 adults in a church.

Each one earns $25,000. Each one gives $2500 to the church. ( 10%) Total income for the church - $100,000.

the guy who owns the church gets $100,000 each year.

After ten years each of the forty people is down $25,000. ($2500 X 10)

After ten years the guy who owns the church is up $1,000,000. If he invested the money wisely
he could be up $1.5 million.

So if I obey God, and give tithes, I am down $25,000, and the owner of the church is up at least $1 million after ten years.

or what? Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

someone tell me - HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I GIVE TO GOD? $1,000 per year? or more?

and don't say 'give how much your heart tells you to give.'

Think of it this way ...

How many Catholics are there worldwide? If they all give 10% to "God", now you know why the Vatican has gold leaf everywhere, a resort/spa, a hotel, a priceless collection of art and jewels, a private jet, a Popemobile, etc, etc.

And God never saw a penny of those donations to him - the leaders of one of "his churches" took it all for themselves.

If God's feet got cold in winter, he wouldn't even have enough money to buy wool socks at WalMart.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

If a hermit lived alone on a deserted island, and he decided to pray to
God once a week, there would be no need for tithes.

And if one family with five kids lived on a farm thirty miles from nowhere
and they decided to have prayer meetings, there would be no need for tithes.
A father wouldn't way to his ten year old kid - give me tithes.

And if that family was best friends with another family, and they decided to worship
God every Sunday, there would be no need for tithes. It doesn't cost a lot of money or expenses
to read a bible out loud and say a prayer. One family would never dream of asking their best
friends for tithes, in exchange for some prayers and reading of the bible and singing some hymns.

And if ten families were all working together, like the Hutterites do, and they had prayer
meetings there would be no need to give themselves tithes. Hutterites don't tithe themselves.
And very close friends or family does not give tithes to themselves. It would make no sense.

But the less important people become to the person preaching on Sunday,
the more important tithing becomes. The bigger and colder a group of people who worships God - the
more they want tithes to be given. A good friend would never want money in exchange for teaching
the bible. A person who is not a friend would want nothing more than for someone to pay tithes to him
in exchange for teaching the bible. That's the amazing thing about churches - they want tithes
from me and I mean nothing to them.

God doesn't need tithes.

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Your scenario is as funny as many of your other postings thinktank. If you want to have whatever comfort and security you get from a church and organized religion, then pay up. Otherwise, stay on your desert island and pray by yourself.
Why should you pay when you go to a restaurant when the guy on the desert island can eat for free? :127:

Also, you don't know much about Hutterites, do you? (Based on your post above)
You and 71 others Like this post
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

At first I thought God wanted all humans to give a certain percentage of their money
to someone who teaches other people about the bible, as a way to buy back some of the karma
we lose when we do bad things, to guarantee we keep earning money. But then I realized
giving tithes to churches is only for some people - not all people in the world.

The gypsies were nomads. Tithing will not work for nomads, because they are in a different place next week.

One billion people on earth live on $1.00/day. Tithing will not work for those people, because 10 cents is below
the minimum amount a church would accept. If I had a church and someone offered me 10 cents tithe, I would
do the same thing I do when I get some pennies back from a store - I say 'keep it.'

Eskimos can't give tithes because you need a church to be able to collect tithes, - not an igloo. Igloos don't count.

People who live out in the middle of nowhere ( like Mongolians) could never give tithes because they live
too far away in a yurt. People who live in a yurt should never give tithes.

So God only wants some of us to give tithes. I figure about 3% of a person's net profit, after paying for
basic necessities, could be given as a tithe. Not 10%, like most church people who drive expensive cars suggest.
Giving tithes is a good thing for people who live in cities, in rich countries.

:skippingsheep:

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

When I was 18, I got my first full time job. When I got my first pay cheque, a box miraculously arrived in the mail from the priest at our local Catholic church (I was brought up Catholic). In it were 52 envelopes all marked with the date of every Sunday of the coming year. Also included was a letter informing me that I was to deposit 10% of my weekly salary (in 1964 my weekly salary was $44 before taxes). By this time I had become extremely anti-religious, and particularly anti-Catholic.

I wrote a nasty expletive on that box telling the priest what he could do to himself and sent it back to him. Needless to say, my father heard about it in short order and he tried to intimidate me into apologize to the priest which ended in a shouting match. My father disowned me and the church excommunicated me. I have never been back to church, any church, since. My father, however, did make peace with me before he died.

Tithing is a Jewish tradition, written into the old testament. Tithing should be voluntary, according to the conscience of the giver. Any priest or minister who has more possessions than any of his congregation is a crook - to paraphrase Allan Watts. God don't need no tithing.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”