Silly religious businesses opening legal issues due to faith

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Silly religious businesses opening legal issues due to f

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

That's a different one than the one I was talking about but also says that a business can't discriminate against gay folks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Oh I'd forgotten about the B&B in Grandforks.
they definitely shut their doors after.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

grammafreddy wrote:Am thinking back to the people who had a B&B and refused to rent to a gay couple due to their religious beliefs. They lost.

i would have said it was booked and invited some friends over
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

sooperphreek wrote:i would have said it was booked and invited some friends over

Of course you would have. And if anyone asked you straight out about your true motivations you likely would have lied about that too. And all the time thinking you were justified in your actions.

Standing up for your beliefs means just that, standing up.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

sooperphreek wrote:i would have said it was booked and invited some friends over

What century are we in again? The Charter guarantees equal rights to everyone regardless of race creed, colour or sexual orientation. But we all know that the application of the Charter varies according to financial status so why not bigotry too? :127:
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
tincanjam

Post by tincanjam »

I know this will probably initially confuse you; Why is it ok for the customer to discriminate against the shop owner but not ok for the shop owner to discriminate against the client. Either it all discrimination should be illegal or none of it should be illegal. Penalizing the shop owner for what he believes is a type of discrimination. In fact it is a much greater form of discrimination then the one faced by the client. In that case the person could merely go to a different store, this discrimination cannot be avoided so easily. In other words if the government wants to be so hyper controlling with its politically correct attitudes, the client should also be charged for discriminating against the shop owner, as should be the prosecutor and the judge if he imposes any discriminatory penalties.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

tincanjam wrote:I know this will probably initially confuse you; Why is it ok for the customer to discriminate against the shop owner but not ok for the shop owner to discriminate against the client. Either it all discrimination should be illegal or none of it should be illegal. Penalizing the shop owner for what he believes is a type of discrimination. In fact it is a much greater form of discrimination then the one faced by the client. In that case the person could merely go to a different store, this discrimination cannot be avoided so easily. In other words if the government wants to be so hyper controlling with its politically correct attitudes, the client should also be charged for discriminating against the shop owner, as should be the prosecutor and the judge if he imposes any discriminatory penalties.

Would you say the same thing if the customer had been black? (As in, I won't sell you flowers for your wedding because you're black.)
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
tincanjam

Post by tincanjam »

That is missing my point, he could be discriminating against me because I am German. I am addressing the issue of fairness, why should it be that he is not allowed to discriminate against me, but I would be allowed to discriminate against him.

If I was the shop keeper I would sell the flowers.
If I was the one discriminated against, I would not use it as an excuse so I could engage in my own discrimination.

We need a better solution.

"Would you say the same thing if the customer had been black? (As in, I won't sell you flowers for your wedding because you're black.)"
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It is all fine and dandy to stand by religious convictions, but if those convictions are only focused on gay people and not on all the others classed as sinners by the bible, I would suggest the business owner is a hypocrite, which is a sin too, right?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

whats wrong with discriminating against gays? its not like gays have a problem discriminating against people themselves. thats the hypocrisy.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

sooperphreek wrote:whats wrong with discriminating against gays? its not like gays have a problem discriminating against people themselves. thats the hypocrisy.

LOL

Now THAT'S logic for ya ... not.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

tincanjam wrote:I know this will probably initially confuse you; Why is it ok for the customer to discriminate against the shop owner but not ok for the shop owner to discriminate against the client.

Was there discrimination on the part of the client in this case? The article linked to in the first post says the charges are being laid under the "Consumer Protection Act" which would be a particular set of rules applying to business owners. The flower shop could have a pretty good fight on their hands to claim exemption to the law on religious grounds.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
tincanjam

Post by tincanjam »

"Was there discrimination on the part of the client in this case?"

I'm saying that the clients law suit against the shop owners is a type of discrimination. The "victims" were discriminated against and are returning that discrimination with a counter discrimination. I think turning the other cheek is the only noble way to deal with this kind of issue. Imho opinion the courts should consider this an issue for public discussion rather then legal action. To me it simply looks like the client wants to do the victimizing.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

tincanjam wrote:I'm saying that the clients law suit against the shop owners is a type of discrimination. The "victims" were discriminated against and are returning that discrimination with a counter discrimination.

So you're saying the lawsuit itself is discriminatory in that it discriminates against the flower shop for discriminating? The initial refusal of service was illegal in that it was based on the sexual orientation of the customer, a discrimination clearly prohibited by the local statues. The lawsuit is based only upon that original refusal, and hardly fits the definition of discrimination.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”