News release - Adrian Dix must fire NDP candidate

c2c
Fledgling

Re: News release - Adrian Dix must fire NDP candidate

Post by c2c »

“The official languages of Canada are English and French, which "have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and Government of Canada" according to Canada's constitution” (sic)

The Official Languages Act of Canada gives the two official languages of Canada equal status in all federal institutions. Private businesses and provincial institutions do not fall under the Official Languages Act of Canada.

How is this related to your previous assertion that Quebec insists ‘that their language is given equal billing throughout the rest of the country’?
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

T. Rawlin wrote:That is an interesting document, and one I will have to learn more about. There appears to be some dispute about whether it applies to areas west of the rockies.

That is why First Nations in BC have either entered into or signed Treaty agreements, Self-Government Agreements or long drawn out court proceedings to hear evidence of territorial traditional land use.

http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.c ... -1763.html
Royal Proclamation

T. Rawlin wrote:Please provide more detail on this, as your interpretation appears to go well beyond what is written in the BNA. The only reference I could find relating to the lands is Paragraph 91 which describes the powers retained by Parliament, not the provinces:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/British_N ... _Act,_1867

T.,
I'm not a lawyer or someone who can do something as numbing as interpret the crap people wrote 150 years ago. But with resources from people who know what those documents mean, please see the following link.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... e-faq.html
BNA 1867

visual propaganda not withstanding, the article has meat and sources, so if you wanna pick away at the info, have at 'er.

Don't you think that if there was a way that the Federal Government COULD get out of this agreement, they would have already? You've had a whole legislative assembly full of good ol' boys and their lawyers for generations and yet no one has been able to successfully challenge or reverse this agreement. This was a straight-up fair-shake deal. Kind of a poor sport move to keep complaining that 'REAL taxpaying Canadians' get the tough end of the stick. Mainstream intolerant folks should 'just get over it'.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I feel her comments reflect that of most okananites who are very isolated and back dated in thier world view.
I dont think her comments were brave but just `a normal okanagan point of view.
No one has denied her freedom of speech, just that she is not accepted with a political party in which her ideals are opposed to theirs.You'd get fired from any job if you were promoting the competitions values.
She is just an normal okanaganite who is not self aware of her archaic political views.Shes just a valley girl Fer sure.
It's not the only o2 cranium induced thing she said on that thread.
The government is nothing more than a big black hole that feeds off the working man, sucking his last penny from his hand so they can give it away freely or lose it stupidly on things like fast ferries
Peace be with you.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I don't usually read the Courier. The Editorial was bang on yesterday - plus they published her letter. A freakin word salad as she back peddled. The fact she thinks an informal poll on a free site means she has the Public's support shows how out of touch she is with reality.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Her comments were wrong. They will ultimately will catch up with her. Her comments are in nature of trying to bully a certain race...again

Think of it this way. The natives had a system, long before us whites came, that worked for them. Us whites came in, trying to roll over them, and make the natives like "us"..............all of which is recognized as very wrong.

Now people still today say that natives, should be "like us whites", they need to be on the same level. This is what Diane and several of you are saying. You are kinda of attempting to repeat history, without maybe knowing it?

What is wrong with meeting half way, and adapting to their ways?? (and I am not talking culturally). Why do natives have to always do what "WE" want? That's what caused this whole problem in the first place.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

normaM wrote:I don't usually read the Courier. The Editorial was bang on yesterday - plus they published her letter. A freakin word salad as she back peddled. The fact she thinks an informal poll on a free site means she has the Public's support shows how out of touch she is with reality.

Very true. An informal poll can be greatly skewed.
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

normaM wrote:I don't usually read the Courier. The Editorial was bang on yesterday - plus they published her letter. A freakin word salad as she back peddled. The fact she thinks an informal poll on a free site means she has the Public's support shows how out of touch she is with reality.

meh.

You don't realize the "power of the people" when they read all about this, & are thinking the same way she thinks & get choked seeing how she was squeezed out.

Lotta folks out there who will vote for her just out of spite, revenge, protest-vote, ...whatever u wanna call it.

EDIT: what BC needs is a "Ralph Klein", who'll do the RIGHT things for BC, instead of pompous elective "fluff". Granted, she isn't a Ralph Klein, but she speaks her mind (at least 4 years ago), & I see NOTHING wrong with that. You know.....I just might vote for her, & it WILL be a protest vote against the existing clowns on the ballot.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

A protest vote that really won't do much more than appease your emotions for a few seconds.

A protest vote such as happened with the HST, with many of those who voted to get rid of it, not even remotely familiar with the ramifications, but hey they got even with the man.

A protest vote like many who are contemplating voting for the NDP, even though they know full well that doing so is folly, but hey apparently the momentary euphoria of sticking it to the Liberals in protest, outweighs the cost of allowing the NDP back in again.

Make no mistake, protest voters will be paying for that vote for quite some time.

In the end the only one that loses is the protest voter.

Consider this, if you were in the market for a watch dog to guard your stuff, would you select one with no teeth?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:A protest vote that really won't do much more than appease your emotions for a few seconds.

In the end the only one that loses is the protest voter.

But...it'll SURE feel GOOD.

Also, your last statement seems like u want to try to sway voters like me...aint gonna happen. Rhetoric.

I'm a BIG boy. when it comes to me X'ing the BOX in the cubicle,....you won't be holding my pencil.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Don't worry about your pencil, it's your wallet you need to be concerned about.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Apr 20th, 2013, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

A protest vote such as happened with the HST, with many of those who voted to get rid of it, not even remotely familiar with the ramifications, but hey they got even with the man.

Yes they did and regardless that many were unclear as to what it all would mean in the long run, getting the man to back down and retreat is a victory which we don't see enough of.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Obviously we have extremely differing views of the definition of victory.
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Obviously we have extremely differing views of the definition of victory.

hmmm....well Lonewolf...all's I know...is that when I daily go thru the McDonald's drivethru for my morning java & grits, since april 1st, I pay $0.93 LESS. YES. VICTORY is great. MY victory. Bye Bye HST. This may be a TINY victory but it's MINE.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

How is this related to your previous assertion that Quebec insists ‘that their language is given equal billing throughout the rest of the country’?

Al right, in the interest of fair play, I will acquiesce that I was being overly emphatic with the "rest of the country and the equal billing thing" because in truth, it is not as widespread as that.

My point is that there is a huge disconnect between how francophones see themselves and their place in our country and how they see anglos in their native Province. The field is not level in Quebec.

There is an arrogance about Quebec. In the case of this thread and the lady who inspired it, the two groups in question are seen to be similar in that they are both vocal about their sovereignty and what it should mean to all of us.

The underlying current is not one of racism but one of equality. I think that "Canadians" (non aboriginal or francophone) feel threatened by the actions the government has taken and continues to take in order to ensure some level of disproportionate harmony.

The perception of the majority is that there has been too much ceded on their part to these groups and enough is enough.

If Quebec wants to separate, then so be it but it must be complete and irrevocable and without any lasting reliance on the rest of Canada.

If the natives in this country want to be seen as a proud people with a storied history steeped in pride and natural stewardship then so be it. But be proud enough and self reliant enough to walk away from the trough and make it on their own.

Or, assimilate. Not "become as us" but understand that the rules need to apply to everyone. They cannot be altered to suit or favor any particular group over another.

Native children in non native public schools have advantages that their fellow non native students don't have access to which is plain wrong.

Natives in non native public schools, at least in the case of the school where my kids went, have their own awards for sports and scholastic achievement which separates them from their fellow students. That's not right or necessary.

Compete with all of us and you will be accepted as one of us.

It is time to move forward. It is time to lay to rest the spirits of the past, as ugly as many of them are and just plain get on the bus and get on with it.

I want to live in a country which is not afraid to stand up to inequality and embraces everyone equally.

Job offerings can never be determined by ethnicity or racial origin or sex. They must be offered to the best suited regardless.

It is ludicrous to have to write into contracts that a certain portion of the work must be given to native companies regardless of qualifications.

I hope that this misguided way of thinking never enter into the medical field.

It should always be the most and best qualified and if a particular group thinks that they are being disadvantaged, then do something about it. Put yourself in a position to win.

It is not necessary that all labeling be in both languages when the VAST majority only speak one and a large portion of the rest are able to understand both. It adds cost to already overpriced product.

The needs of the many have been set aside and disregarded by the few. And for what?

In the end, there is no win in this thread or for this topic regardless of who weighs in but the truth is that Dayleen did dare to put into print what many if not most Canadians are feeling irrespective of whether they understand the treaty/indian act or why french is recognized as a National language. It's how they feel and even the most informed among us would, I think, have to concede that the scales need to be re-balanced.

Mercifully for some of you, I'm out. It's been fun.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Obviously we have extremely differing views of the definition of victory.

OK. One more. Yes we do differ. Consider that you can win the battle but not necessarily the war but it is still a victory.

Trying to get a bill passed in parliament that is accepted but altered to maybe not include all of the components that you had written into it is still a victory.

And getting the man to acknowledge the masses EVER and in ANY way is definitely a victory and man, it was sweet. Pass the big mac.

Return to “Kelowna/Mission”