Sign Bylaw

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Sign Bylaw

Post by fluffy »

My curiosity is up too. I'd like to have heard the discussion both when the law was passed in the first place, and then reversed, just to hear what the reasoning was in both cases.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:My curiosity is up too. I'd like to have heard the discussion both when the law was passed in the first place, and then reversed, just to hear what the reasoning was in both cases.

Ditto that!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Is anyone from city hall reading this thread???????? Would be real nice if someone with authority responded.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

The signs I most often see abusing this sign by-law all happen to be orange. I see that as a positive because if they were dark blue some people on here would be very upset about it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

-fluffy- wrote:When I spoke with bylaw it was mentioned that a media release is in the works, and that all the candidates had been informed what the rules actually are. That doesn't' change my opinion that it's a shallow practice, but in all fairness it's an effective method for reaching shallow voters. (tongue firmly in cheek)

What does "in the works" mean, Fluffy? May 15th, perhaps? LOL Transparency....Accountability? Not too abundent in the city hall. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..!
Simone Blais

Post by Simone Blais »

Sorry for the delay in posting this information - I've been conducting training all week, which has kept me from a few things on the to-do list. My apologies.

We have put some information on the City website about the Sign Bylaw given the impending election: http://www.penticton.ca/EN/meta/city-ne ... ation.html

There's been a lot of great discussion on this thread about the Sign Bylaw, which someone referenced earlier, but I'll include here for convenience sake: http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hal ... 092-22.pdf. Pages 17 and 18 are of particular interest when it comes to political signage.

There was a City policy approved in 2009 that clarified the Sign Bylaw, particularly in relation to political signage. We've posted that online too and it's available for reading here: http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~New ... ignage.pdf

It might be of value to explain that enforcement does not include Bylaw Services or other City staff physically removing the signs (logistics of removal, storing and retrieving/returning the signs prevent us from doing this). Under the bylaw, when a contravention must be addressed, City staff issue written orders to the sign owner to take down the signs. If the individual does not act on that notice, there is a process we follow relating to enforcement that typically involves fines, etc. Those are outlined on pages 20 and 21 in the original bylaw document.

It's my understanding that we have contacted individuals with signs erected to make them aware of the Sign Bylaw and its provisions. Whenever possible we try to obtain compliance without using harsh penalty, and just from my own observations (which are subjective, naturally), it seems the initial crop of signs has gotten a bit better in some areas.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. We have been answering questions and addressing comments as they've come in, and will continue throughout the campaign. We're certainly here to help, and those interested are welcome to contact me anytime at 250-490-2583 or by email [email protected].

Cheers,
Simone
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Good information, Simone; thank you for sharing that with us. The locations in red below are definately in violation then. Let us hope that the candidates have been notified and will comply. I particularly dislike the two large signs (won't mention the party) adjacent to the SOEC @ the Wine Country Info Centre.

Political signs must not be placed on or adjacent to municipal property such as, but not limited to, City Hall, City Yards, Library, Museum, Penticton Trade & Convention Centre, South Okanagan Events Centre, Memorial Arena, McLaren Arena, the Community Centre, the Waste Water Treatment Plant, the Water Treatment Plant or City parks.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Clearly then, all signage in Skaha Park needs to be removed. Ashton has one and both Cannings and Maxwell have littered the grass with 8 or 10 signs each. Cannings also has them zapped strapped to the chain link fences at Sudbury beach and further down Channel parkway and attachment to fences is clearly identified as a no no. Lastly, the signs on the rail bridge above channel parkway need to be removed as above highways is also identified.
What I do not understand Simone is that if the parties concerned have all been informed of the regulations, why are all these signs that are clearly in contravention still in place????? Perhaps some monetary penalties are warranted or is it just assumed that the election will be over before the city actually does anything about it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

The Election Sign bylaw is a complete Farce and so are the Bylaw people who are supposed to be enforcing the rules. Makes me wonder if they (bylaw officers) are afraid to deal with this issue, as Ashton may not make the MLA job and could come after them once back in the mayors chair? Who really knows. Whatever the case, the bylaw is a joke. In Ashtons defense, he is NOT the worst at breaking this rule; however he IS the worst with regards to the two big signs right in front of the Wine Country Info Centre (city owned building and city land). I will be putting this question in the suggestion box tonight at the forum; but its a random draw so who knows if the question will get asked. Lets hope a lot of other folks do the same and maybe the three offenders will be forced to answer the question that they want to avoid. Sean Upshaw is the only one NOT breaking the rules. Those who are thinking of voting Right Wing, may want to seriously consider him. For this one reason only, I may, too.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

XT225 wrote:Good information, Simone; thank you for sharing that with us. The locations in red below are definately in violation then. Let us hope that the candidates have been notified and will comply. I particularly dislike the two large signs (won't mention the party) adjacent to the SOEC @ the Wine Country Info Centre.

Political signs must not be placed on or adjacent to municipal property such as, but not limited to, City Hall, City Yards, Library, Museum, Penticton Trade & Convention Centre, South Okanagan Events Centre, Memorial Arena, McLaren Arena, the Community Centre, the Waste Water Treatment Plant, the Water Treatment Plant or City parks.

XT, thank you - I for one am certainly waiting for a response....
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Sean Upshaw had originally said that he may not bother with signage but I see now that he HAS joined in. Guess he figures if the others are getting away with ignoring the bylaw, then he might as well get some publicity, to. The only signs that REALLY get my goat are those that are close/adjacent to city owned buildings as that is definitely against the bylaw; even the amendment. The Wine Info Centre is a prime example. Ashton has had his two big signs there for days now and Upshaw has now joined him. Signs along boulevards ARE allowed under the amendment but the enforcing of the bylaw is a complete JOKE! Whoever the bylaw officers are, and their bosses, should be ashamed of themselves. ps: oh...right.....the signs will come down May 15th.
Sean Upshaw Conservative

Post by Sean Upshaw Conservative »

I thought I would just reply to this series of comments for the record. I have only put up about 15 signs in Penticton total not 100's. None of my signs are in areas that contravene City of Penticton By-Laws. The one in front of the Wine Info Centre is the only one in the SOEC and Convention Centre area. In order to put this sign there I received permission from Andre Martin at the Chamber of Commerce. It is the ONLY exception to the rule as voiced by the staff of City Hall because the Chamber is considered a business. I personally went to city hall and got a copy of all the by-laws concerning signs. You will notice that I am the only candidate that has not put signs up around the SOEC or the Convention area or sneakily close. By-Laws are to be respected as laws not just suggestions. If I have violated a sign by-law any where else I would appreciate a phone call asap as it would have been unintentional. Happy voting!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Good that you responded here, Sean. I don't see, however how Andre Martin has the right to allow signage in front of a City Owned building; business or not. It's still owned and maintained by the city. Isn't the SOEC a business? Global runs it as far as anyone knew; a private company. You don't see signs around it; not even Ashton dares to touch it (nor the hockey dorm site...lol). I will admit that signage this time around is NOT as bad as other election years have been but there are still offenses clearly evident with no apparent policing of the bylaw. Yes, you have the least amount of signage and that's a good thing!

Return to “Penticton”