Should Dix pay back his severance?

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Should Dix pay back his severance?

Post by fluffy »

flamingfingers wrote:I'm sure the terms of his contract stipulated whether or not severance was paid.

That would be an excellent place to start. The question here would be whether or not his admission of error would effectively change the conditions under which the severance was paid. If his contract says no severance pay in cases of termination for cause, and he has admitted that there was indeed cause for termination, then it's not such a tough question is it? The trouble here is that moral obligations are not as easily enforced as legal obligations.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

-fluffy- wrote:That would be an excellent place to start. The question here would be whether or not his admission of error would effectively change the conditions under which the severance was paid. If his contract says no severance pay in cases of termination for cause, and he has admitted that there was indeed cause for termination, then it's not such a tough question is it? The trouble here is that moral obligations are not as easily enforced as legal obligations.
Yes, the legal issue could be determined easily but it's the moral issue that's the question. And asking Dix to return his severance in no way excuses anyone else (Liberals or members of any other party) for any wrongdoing. The question here is a moral one. If Dix is sincere and now acknowledges what he didn't acknowledge at the time, that he did do wrong, should he not therefore now return the money? His termination only occurred because of that wrongdoing so I don't think he should have been rewarded.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Urbane wrote: Requesting that Dix pay back his severance is being a Liberal apologist?

LOLOL That's not what was said - but you knew that ;o)
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ I have no idea why "Liberal apologist" was even brought into this thread. I'm not in favour of anyone in any party accepting severance after doing the sort of thing that Dix did. The fact that he didn't even acknowledge his wrongdoing at the time (LOL - he was only 35 years old - LOL) speaks volumes about his character. My question remains the same: Should Dix pay back his severance?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Logitack wrote:when the liberals pay back their severance packages, then we can talk about dix, until then.... meh
I couldn't disagree more. That's the sort of thinking that encourages bad governance and while we blame the politicians sometimes we're our own worst enemies. Wrong is wrong! I've been very critical of the Liberals and many of their actions but not wanting to even talk about Dix's serious transgression and severance just encourages immoral behaviour.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

If the NDP was the governing party at the time, they are responsible for the severance payment to Dix. The Government should have recouped the payment once just cause for termination was established. Statute of Limitations for this may well have been exceeded.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

Post by Its_Like_That »

Urbane wrote:Requesting that Dix pay back his severance is being a Liberal apologist? Wow!

Though Shall Not tell the truth about Dix and what he has in store for the taxpayer.

Never, ever do that.

The really sick thing about this whole thread is that Dix was asked the question at the podium.

He never answered it and scurried away.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Its_Like_That wrote:
    The really sick thing about this whole thread is that Dix was asked the question at the podium.

He never answered it and scurried away.

Maybe he'll undertake a study on the issue - LOL.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

Post by Its_Like_That »

I'm pretty sure that the $70,000 severance he got would do some good for child poverty if he were to pay it back.

After all, it was the taxpayers money to start with.

It's much like a theft.

Or he could divide it up and give some to teachers.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I don't even believe he paid back that transit fare that he overlooked. Yes, he should show some backbone and pay back everything he owes. But at this point, it's kind of late and he last whatever respect I had of him as being a "different" type of politician. Is he really a "Change for the better" or just another in the long line of politicians who line up at the trough.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Urbane wrote:Maybe he'll undertake a study on the issue - LOL.

Probably the most likely accurate response.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hehe. Maybe he'll consult his finance minister. "Is this a good time to give away $70K ?"
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Dix's severance issue was dealt with back in 1999. If the Libs had a problem with it, they had 12+ years to bring this up. Nothing more than a smear tactic that the Christy Libs are using in desperation. Pathetic.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Dix's severance issue was dealt with back in 1999. If the Libs had a problem with it, they had 12+ years to bring this up. Nothing more than a smear tactic that the Christy Libs are using in desperation. Pathetic.
You're in a very small minority who actually think that Dix did the right thing in back-dating that memo. The overwhelming majority of people know that it was wrong. I'm not in favour of rewarding people who have done something like Dix did by providing severance. Dix is lucky he didn't go to jail.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Dix is lucky he didn't go to jail.

Balderdash... the judge in the case lent no material weight to Dix's memo.
Chill

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”