Truth seeker

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Truth seeker

Post by cliffy1 »

averagejoe wrote:You might want checkout Madam Blavasky and Alice Bailey before you go to far into this stuff...

They started a lot of this stuff you speak of. Madam Blavasky has written the most books by a women. Mostly to do with the occult.Her teachings and writing's are the base for today's new age movement. As a matter of fact, It was known for Elvis to read occult books to his audience after his performances. You will find it was Madam Blavasky`s books he read to them.

I was once accused of knowing everything there was to know about the New Age (I don't really). I too have studied a variety of spiritual and philosophical disciplines. The more I learned, the more it became clear that the only rational way to be is believe nothing and keep an open mind. The truth is not out there. It is inside, the kingdom within. The only person on this planet, or any other, that can make sense of your life is you. Gurus, seers and teachers can give you some tools to work with, but they cannot give you the truth. Your journey is yours to take.

What I know of Blavatsky is that she was a charlatan and an ego maniac. I subscribe to the "if you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" school of thought. Anybody who is truly enlightened will tell you to get lost.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JOF585 wrote:We will find out when we die

nickd wrote:How did you come up with that answer?

I saw that line on "The Simpsons", Homer was in the hospital in a coma but in his mind he was asking God for the meaning of life.

Not too far from reality really, I think most of us will ask ourselves something similar along the way. Is there a definitive answer?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

The likely reality is that no answers will be given,you won't find out anything and life is a cosmic fluke that happens repeatedly.
Last edited by 1nick on May 18th, 2013, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The answer for some is to not even bother asking the questions and that works just fine for them. I think a lot of people want so badly for there to be an answer to the unknowable that they will buy into things without serious thought.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
enlightened1

Post by enlightened1 »

[quote="averagejoe"]You might want checkout Madam Blavasky and Alice Bailey before you go to far into this stuff...

They started a lot of this stuff you speak of. Madam Blavasky has written the most books by a women. Mostly to do with the occult.Her teachings and writing's are the base for today's new age movement. As a matter of fact, It was known for Elvis to read occult books to his audience after his performances. You will find it was Madam Blavasky`s books he read to them.

Yes I have read a lot of Blavatsky, and i guess what gives her credibility in my eyes is the importance that people in the know placed on her work. Her partner was a mystic Nicholas Roerich, his Manhattan apartment was always filled with very influential people, like the VP of USA, Henry Wallace, a high level FM, and the one who designed the current dollar bill. They claimed to have found the biblical Jacob's pillow stone. Very interesting.
enlightened1

Post by enlightened1 »

-fluffy- wrote:The answer for some is to not even bother asking the questions and that works just fine for them. I think a lot of people want so badly for there to be an answer to the unknowable that they will buy into things without serious thought.

i was raised as a christian, i left because the church does not follow what Jesus said to do,Jesus Christ as quoted in the Bible has provided instructions for finding God, for finding life.

Practice the single eye, separate from the thoughts of the mind, find knowledge and the Kingdom of God within yourself.
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

nickd wrote:How did you come up with that answer?

Well, just thinking about some people who had a near death experience, or others who feel or see their loved ones after they die, etc ... just thinking that maybe after you die you find all the answers. That's my answer but then no one has any answers.

To -fluffy- I have never watched The Simpsons.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

enlightened 1 wrote: They claimed to have found the biblical Jacob's pillow stone. Very interesting.

I find this quote most interesting. As the Biblical Jacob's pillow stone is under the Coronation Chair at Westminster Abby. All Kings and Queens of England, Scotland and Ireland have been crowned on the Stone since around 600 B.C. So I can't understand how they had found it? Do you have something I could study on their find?

http://asis.com/users/stag/stone.html

http://www.redicecreations.com/winterwo ... scone.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

enlightened1 wrote:i was raised as a christian, i left because the church does not follow what Jesus said to do...

I've heard that complaint too many times to count, that the spirit if the bible is ignored or twisted to the point where the lessons it carries are lost. I think this is a failing of many organized religions, that they try to impose their own rule book on their followers rather than helping them find their own path.
enlightened1

Post by enlightened1 »

I've heard that complaint too many times to count, that the spirit if the bible is ignored or twisted to the point where the lessons it carries are lost. I think this is a failing of many organized religions, that they try to impose their own rule book on their followers rather than helping them find their own path.[/quote]

Totally, they are not reading the bible at all, it is a science book, story after story are allegories for the human mind and brain, take the crucifixion, where does it take place? Cavalry or Golgotha, both words for skull or head in latin and greek. It is symbolic. We need to crucify the lower mind to enter into Christ consciousness.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

enlightened1 wrote:Totally, they are not reading the bible at all, it is a science book, story after story are allegories for the human mind and brain, take the crucifixion, where does it take place? Cavalry or Golgotha, both words for skull or head in latin and greek. It is symbolic. We need to crucify the lower mind to enter into Christ consciousness.

I'm sure that in your searchings through the various disciplines and philosophies that you have discovered the same as I have, that there are common threads running through many belief systems, not the least of which is that negative emotions are a barrier to spiritual growth.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

JOF585 wrote:Well, just thinking about some people who had a near death experience, or others who feel or see their loved ones after they die, etc ... just thinking that maybe after you die you find all the answers. That's my answer but then no one has any answers.

Stewart Wilde said "if you are thick as a brick in life, you will most likely be thick as a brick after death." Not sure where I stand on that. I have had several near death experiences and I'm the last one to know if I gained anything much from the experiences.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

cliffy1 wrote: I have had several near death experiences and I'm the last one to know if I gained anything much from the experiences.

I was nowhere near death when I physically and completely felt the presence of, well, ... I felt the presence of ....

Well, call it what you want but, as the saying goes, God has only one syllable and is easy to say.

Twice in my life that has happened. Once when I was about 14. The next time I was about 35. Stone cold sober on both occasions. Seriously questioned what I had just experienced on both occasions. I don’t know what I gained from those experiences but I certainly have no doubt left in me that there is more going on. That doesn’t mean I understand what God is or what His or our purpose is. I certainly haven’t found any answers from an ancient book. Don’t have to even look now. It’s more than enough to know It (God or whatever) is real and exists. I occasionally use prayer and meditation to seek out that sense again. I can achieve a sense of calmness with that but I have never again (at least yet) experienced anything as profound and powerful as on those two occasions. It was almost scary – except I felt so safe and so much comfort.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

steven lloyd wrote:I was nowhere near death when I physically and completely felt the presence of, well, ... I felt the presence of ....

Well, call it what you want but, as the saying goes, God has only one syllable and is easy to say.

Twice in my life that has happened. Once when I was about 14. The next time I was about 35. Stone cold sober on both occasions. Seriously questioned what I had just experienced on both occasions. I don’t know what I gained from those experiences but I certainly have no doubt left in me that there is more going on. That doesn’t mean I understand what God is or what His or our purpose is. I certainly haven’t found any answers from an ancient book. Don’t have to even look now. It’s more than enough to know It (God or whatever) is real and exists. I occasionally use prayer and meditation to seek out that sense again. I can achieve a sense of calmness with that but I have never again (at least yet) experienced anything as profound and powerful as on those two occasions. It was almost scary – except I felt so safe and so much comfort.

Well, that's the thing about these experiences. They can change our lives and bring a deep sense of connection to the divine, but what that is is not possible to relate to others. It is like a "For Your Eyes Only" kind of thing; very personal. To me, the divine is the magic that keeps the Universe functioning, living things animated and our ability to feel connected. These experiences just happen. You can't make them happen. You might be able to reproduce the feeling but never the experience.

When I lived in the forest I had many experiences that were life changing and brought me closer the divine within and without. And I have had some really mind blowing experiences with aboriginal people in ceremony. But even those who were present could not know what effects it had on me. They can only know their own.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Thank you for offering to share your knowledge. I believe that is why we are here,to do for others. I'm content with my simple faith and enjoy the company of spiritual people. I think its all good and we need sacred ritual but its really not that complicated for me. I started going to my local Anglican church and read from the bible for the services but I needed to find the simple meaning in it as i find in all spiritual ritual. I welcome you to my reading and your interpretation.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49274
Peace be with you.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”