My Reading

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: My Reading

Post by kibbs »

A reading from acts

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

The word of the lord.
Gods concern is not for the individual person .His concern is with all humanity.Jesus became aware of his eternal being and told all his buddys who got it too. Spread the word,to put away selfish ways and realize we are all one ,to do good for the better of us all.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

A reading from revalations
Reve 5:11 (NRSV) Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels surrounding the throne and the living creatures and the elders; they numbered myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, 12 singing with full voice,
"Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might
and honor and glory and blessing!"
13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, singing,
"To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honor and glory and might
forever and ever!"
14 And the four living creatures said, "Amen!" And the elders fell down and worshiped.
The word of the lord
To me this says that the sacrifice and the belief of Jesus shall not be forgotten.
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Kibbs...you outta rewrite the bibble in simple terms.
You seem to see through the written diarrhea and get right down to your own simple truths from the best selling story book of all time.
I admire that.
If you were to do a rewrite...you might just get a few followers.
It's worked for others in the past.
I prefer my Kool-Aid to be red.
:hailjo:

Ribbing aside:
If you can articulate the teachings from the bible into simple terms that common folk can digest...It might just be worth it to those who want to follow and believe, but just can't get into the lingo enough to start making gawd a part of their daily diet..
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Wasn't it Andrew Jackson that wrote his own simplified version of the bible? Don't know if he ever published it. Seems he took out all the magic in it. Logical thinkers can take all the fun out of religion. I mean, where would we be if Tammy Fae had not graced us with her makeup, or Jimmy Swaggart had not been caught with a hooker.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Thanks GA .I struggled with returning to church because I did not believe in the words the way that were being presented and translated ,I felt like I would be a hypocrite but also left out of a communal spiritual experience .I wanted to go to a native band because my spiritual beliefs seemed more aligned with them but after watching the Pagan Christ I realized that it did not matter where i went .I just needed to see my belief within the ritual.
Now that I understand Jebus was just enlightened like Buddha and a Charmin , I now feel comfortable sharing my faith within my ancestral spiritual home.
I've talked openly with people about my belief in church and share how simple translation can unite people of all faiths. i'm surprised how many are of like mind attend.There are many simple translation out there but i like to dig in the old king James.i love Shakespeare too.
My greatest motivation was a desire to be more apart of community and that is what spiritualism is ,joining with all our brothers and sisters in a spiritual community.
I think these forums have a lot in common with that.welcome to the church of castanet.The message of loving your fellow man is so simple you could find it in a peanuts cartoon.
Peace Brother you are always welcome.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Wasn't it Andrew Jackson that wrote his own simplified version of the bible? Don't know if he ever published it. Seems he took out all the magic in it. Logical thinkers can take all the fun out of religion. I mean, where would we be if Tammy Fae had not graced us with her makeup, or Jimmy Swaggart had not been caught with a hooker.

We were warned about wolves in sheep clothing but the scriptures unfortunately did not mention running mascara.A real low point for religion but i think the evangels are literally off side.Jimmy was cousin to Jerry lee Lewis.I guess he had great balls of fire as well.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I went through a rather intense period of research some years back, thirsting for an approach to spirituality that didn't go against my "grain" so to speak. Various classic religions, mystic writings, new age, self-help, psychology, you name it. It dawned on me that all these approaches shared common threads in honesty, selflessness and compassion among other things, and that they were all just different paths heading in the same direction.

"I don't care what you believe in, just believe." - Shepherd Book
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

A reading from proverbs

8:1 Does not wisdom call, and does not understanding raise her voice?

8:2 On the heights, beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand;

8:3 beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance of the portals she cries out:

8:4 "To you, O people, I call, and my cry is to all that live.

8:22 The LORD created me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of long ago.

8:23 Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth.

8:24 When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water.

8:25 Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth--

8:26 when he had not yet made earth and fields, or the world's first bits of soil.

8:27 When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,

8:28 when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep,

8:29 when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth,

8:30 then I was beside him, like a master worker; and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always,

8:31 rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the human race.

The word of the LORD
For me this says,
God is not only creative but wise and understanding, Think about what you are doing. Is it a good thing? is it helping others?
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The preachers interpretation was interesting . he said wisdom and understanding come before creation and is personified as female because the latin for wisdom is sophia. He goes on to say how the church took this characteristic and split it from god to become the holy spirit as part of the trinity. For me this is where the church complicates the meaning of god and creates this divisive interpretation. It takes the wisdom from your eternal spirit and puts it in the hands of the church to follow.
I participate in the ritual but we tear it down over coffee after words.
We lost one of our choir to cancer this week. Peace be with you Sue.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”