Do you believe in Hell

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Do you believe in Hell

Post by Hmmm »

kgcayenne wrote:One, person does not represent all.

The Bible also says that "it is not up to man to direct his own steps" and that "man will dominate man to his injury". Isn't it ironic how people cleave so heavily to 'man' 'directing' their supposed relationships with God?

Edited to add:
I once belonged to a group of people who were obedient to God via using his word the Bible as their life manual. One day, at a large gathering of this group, the direction was given to be obedient to the organization. I lost respect for this group and its organizers. I now view all man-made, man-directed, registered, religious organizations congruent with the ‘Babylon the Great’ discussed in the book of Revelation. I feel that by way of being a man-dominated and directed entity, they are part of the large whole of falsehood in the context of the ante (instead of) Christ. (the original word was ‘ante’ not ‘anti’ as has been popularly translated)

Being directed by an Earthly group is how the Bible describes worship of God from Israel to Jesus day. If you don't except the Bible as gods word thats your choice of course, but Israel as well as the early Christian Church was organized and directed by a small group over a large group. The leaders of these people were to direct the people according to the Law as in the case of Israel. Later it was through letters and direct contact from the older men appointed. Those letters are now preserved in the New Testament.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Warnings against False Teachers ( in the bible)

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Doesn't the Catholic church say priests can't get married?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Hmmm wrote:Being directed by an Earthly group is how the Bible describes worship of God from Israel to Jesus day. If you don't except the Bible as gods word thats your choice of course, but Israel as well as the early Christian Church was organized and directed by a small group over a large group. The leaders of these people were to direct the people according to the Law as in the case of Israel. Later it was through letters and direct contact from the older men appointed. Those letters are now preserved in the New Testament.

Why does rejecting earthly religion mean that a person doesn't believe that the Bible is God's word? Those people to whom you are referring were divinely appointed, they didn't just go to some religious institution's seminary or Bible college. Evidently, God is not divinely appointing people these days and therfore all we have is the Bible.

ETA: The "early church" as it's sometimes called, met in each other's homes. They were small groups, not "church" in the way we think of it today at all.

I actually see the Bible as a very anti-religious book. I'm sure pretty much no one on here will agree but now I'm going off topic so I'll stop here.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:I actually see the Bible as a very anti-religious book. I'm sure pretty much no one on here will agree

Ha, perhaps so, but someone known as Yeshua ben Yosef might agree with you ... http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NLT
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Orez, you may believe the Bible is Gods word and still reject religion, some don't believe the bible is though, so I was covering that. The Bible does very specifically spell out an organized religious form of worship. Even other first century when they met in homes there were older men presiding. That is what the Bible says. Reject it, discount it whatever but it does state it just the same.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

OREZ wrote: Those people to whom you are referring were divinely appointed,

Can you clarify what you mean by divinely appointed?

OREZ wrote:Evidently, God is not divinely appointing people these days

Why do you say this?

OREZ wrote:and therfore all we have is the Bible.

What about the Quran? Bhagavad Gita? Book of Mormon? The Book of the Dead? Emerald Tablet? Svetambara? Zohar? Urantia Book? Tao Te Ching? and countless other "scripture"?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

The bible is not any god's word. Man penned those words.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote: Those people to whom you are referring were divinely appointed,

Sneaksuit wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by divinely appointed?

I don't think so, it means what it means.

OREZ wrote:Evidently, God is not divinely appointing people these days

Sneaksuit wrote:Why do you say this?

Because to me it seems evident.

OREZ wrote:and therfore all we have is the Bible.

Sneaksuit wrote:What about the Quran? Bhagavad Gita? Book of Mormon? The Book of the Dead? Emerald Tablet? Svetambara? Zohar? Urantia Book? Tao Te Ching? and countless other "scripture"?

Yeah, I know about all of that too and yet I believe what I believe but I'm not a religious person, is that alright with you?

I can already see this conversation will go nowhere and, as I said earlier, it's going off the topic which is "do you believe in hell" and I was attempting to stop before that happened. So once again, in answer to the OP question, no I do not.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

OREZ wrote:

I can already see this conversation will go nowhere and, as I said earlier, it's going off the topic which is "do you believe in hell" and I was attempting to stop before that happened. So once again, in answer to the OP question, no I do not.

I don't believe in hell, either.

To believe in hell you have to believe in heaven - and god and angels and all that stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Organized religion is the root of all evil, i do not believe in hell or heaven, when we die we go to another dimension. Hell is this planet we call Earth, look at the wars, famine and so on(lots of greed also) JMHO
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

jimsenchuk wrote:...wars, famine and so on(lots of greed also)

that's my idea of heaven - if I'm the one profiting.

why is this earth heaven for a few - but hell for many?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

grammafreddy wrote:
I don't believe in hell, either.

To believe in hell you have to believe in heaven - and god and angels and all that stuff.

If I'm correct don't you believe in ghosts but not souls?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

zzontar wrote:If I'm correct don't you believe in ghosts but not souls?

I'm a skeptic where ghosts are concerned, too. They make for funny stories and jokes but do they exist?

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

grammafreddy wrote:I'm a skeptic where ghosts are concerned, too. They make for funny stories and jokes but do they exist?

Ghosts" or, as our family calls them "visitors" have been a part of my family's life for many years. We have come to the conclusion that they are a natural part of our life and even more so, especially a part of my mom's life. It is to such a degree, that when we hear footsteps upstairs or sounds in the other room we don't even react anymore.

One story of many is about my brother who is as redneck as is humanly possible (ok, I exaggerate), but he was very skeptical about this topic, saw one when when he was helping my mother move into a new place a few years ago. He grabbed a stick and chased it upstairs ready to stop the "intruder" only to discover no visible remnants. He never really talked about the "ghost" after, but it stopped his argumentative and mocking attitude towards the conversation when it comes up.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

OREZ wrote:I don't think so, it means what it means.

"Divinely appointed" were your chosen words. Why do you use language that you don't have meaning for?

OREZ wrote:Because to me it seems evident.

How is it evident to you that God divinely appointed people a few thousand years ago? What do you think is the time range that God has divinely appointed people through history? What does God appoint them for?

OREZ wrote:Yeah, I know about all of that too and yet I believe what I believe but I'm not a religious person, is that alright with you?

Brother OREZ, I'm alright with your beliefs. I'm only curious how you have adopted them and your feelings about them, aside from annoyance when questioned.

IMO, these questions are on topic because they question belief itself.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”