History Channel pushing debunked Christ-Mithra theory

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
concernie
Board Meister

History Channel pushing debunked Christ-Mithra theory

Post by concernie »

I noticed that the show "Decoding the Ancients" on History this week is pushing hard the long-debunked Jesus Christ-Mithra conspiracy theory with some cheap, dollar-store pseudo scholarship. Basically, the theory claims that Christ was a copy cat of of the pagan Mythra, whose canon was developed long after Christ. The Christ mythers reach and try to create connections between the two and their respective belief systems. The purpose of this conspiracy theory is to cast doubt on the Christian faith and steer society toward secular humanism.

Here are a couple of films thoroughly debunking the Christ mythers and their Mithra-Christ theory:

Further reading: Jesus and Mithras, Debunked http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/201 ... unked.html
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: History Channel pushing debunked Christ-Mithra theory

Post by cliffy1 »

How about the similarities between Krishna and Christ:

http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordkrishna/a/christ_krishna.htm

Or was Jesus a Buddhist monk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwafEk3iSp0
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:How about the similarities between Krishna and Christ:

http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordkrishna/a/christ_krishna.htm

Or was Jesus a Buddhist monk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwafEk3iSp0

Yes, the smears are endless. Attempt to discredit Christianity at all costs...anything to avoid being responsible for one's own actions.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

concernie wrote:Yes, the smears are endless. Attempt to discredit Christianity at all costs...anything to avoid being responsible for one's own actions.

Smears? Don't you smear other religions and even versions of Christianity when you claim they are false?

Comparing bible stories to stories that came earlier is very responsible. Christianity used earlier stories to develop their own religion.

I find it interesting concerned is willing to question everything governments and mythical groups do in the name of controlling people but balks at anyone that questions his religious choice. Religions are about controlling people.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Let's say God, Jesus and Satan are real...
If you're Satan and you know what's going to go down what's the best way to deceive people? By screaming "Hey, I'm the devil, come join the dark side!" ? I doubt it. The best way to fool people is to make a damn good counterfeit. Hell, make several. That'll keep em busy ;)
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Let's say god, jesus and satan aren't real.

Mine's simpler.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

eMeM wrote:Let's say God, Jesus and Satan are real...
If you're Satan and you know what's going to go down what's the best way to deceive people? By screaming "Hey, I'm the devil, come join the dark side!" ? I doubt it. The best way to fool people is to make a damn good counterfeit. Hell, make several. That'll keep em busy ;)

Are you implying that the Christ-Mithra theory is Satan's best option or what the Bible says, that Satan appears as an angel of light?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:Are you implying that the Christ-Mithra theory is Satan's best option or what the Bible says, that Satan appears as an angel of light?

Seems to me that Satan's greatest accomplishment was in convincing people that he was god. This would account for god being such an insecure, jealous, angry, vindictive psychopath in the bible.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:Seems to me that Satan's greatest accomplishment was in convincing people that he was god. This would account for god being such an insecure, jealous, angry, vindictive psychopath in the bible.
youarejustreapting stuff others had said. From your comment you really have no understanding of the Bible.

God is certainly not portrayed as what you have stated, these comments arrive because of actions that have been taken by God but no understanding of the why and how.

Like I posted a long time ago, it's like hearing some guy cut off a girls arm...did you hear that? Isn't that terrable?

So after everyone says how much a monster this guy is, you find out he's a surgeon who saved the girl from a files eating bacteria.

This is the same thing when you take actions or words recorded in the Bible without understanding anything else.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I got the same thing out of the bible. The Jesus guy was cool but his dad was a vindictive megalomaniac.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nebula wrote:The Jesus guy was cool but his dad was a vindictive megalomaniac.

Wasn't he a carpenter ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Not Joseph. God. You know... In the name of the father, the son...
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:youarejustreapting stuff others had said. From your comment you really have no understanding of the Bible.

God is certainly not portrayed as what you have stated, these comments arrive because of actions that have been taken by God but no understanding of the why and how.
This is the same thing when you take actions or words recorded in the Bible without understanding anything else.

I was raised Christian. I have read the bible and I fully understand English. What I see there is exactly what I said, which is why, when I was able to reason stuff out on my own, I rejected the war god of the desert as an imposter.

Jesus went out into the wilderness to commune with his creator and fight his demons. He came forth with a very clear message from his experience. Paul screwed it up. He created a religion about a deified version of Jesus, the Christ, and not about the teachings of Jesus, the sage. Christ is a title reserved for enlightened beings, not gods.

I went out into the wilderness for 10 years. I have a very personal relationship with my Creator and It is nothing like the psychopath of the bible. It is non judgmental, does not need our worship and praise, does not care what you believe, does not bring down all forms of pestilence, calamity and disease upon people or nations because they don't bow down and kiss his feet. Its love is unconditional.

We are an insignificant species living on a miniscule speck of dust in an infinite Universe. It is beyond egotistical to think that a being capable of creating this infinite Universe would care what you think or believe, that it would actually bother to answer your prayers requesting all your petty concerns. Man created their god to try to assuage their feelings of inadequacy and insignificance.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Well Cliffy, feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about it in person. Just know that regardless of your experience and what others say, the description you've painted of God is 100% opposite of how he's presented in the Bible
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

[quote]
Nebula wrote: The Jesus guy was cool but his dad was a vindictive megalomaniac.

Fluffy wrote: Wasn't he a carpenter ?
[quote]

^^
Win.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”